How common are mis-deliveries?

The Range

In too deep
I ordered a package that was delivered by Fedex. The item was large and required for a weekend repair. It never came so I checked the tracking information and it was listed as having been delivered Friday. It was not. I called Fedex and they confirmed it was indeed delivered - to the wrong address, across town.

How common are mis-deliveries? I am a pick-off at UPS, I am unfamiliar with driving problems. The label was correct according to Fedex support. The address it was delivered to has my house number with an extra 0 added to it (20 instead of 2) and the street name is not at all similar to my home. How is this possible?

barnyard

KTM rider
I would think that with EDD/PAS it happens more than before. I frequently get packages where EDD 'guesses' an address because something in the address was not typed correctly or the range is wrong or any number of other of things. The package label is clearly correct, but the computer did not recognize it and guessed way wrong.

Depending on the route, the possibility of a wrong delivering is once a week or once or twice a day. The key is looking at the package label, not the SPA label.

FE has a similar program and I would bet that is screws things up similarly.

I would think that with EDD/PAS it happens more than before. I frequently get packages where EDD 'guesses' an address because something in the address was not typed correctly or the range is wrong or any number of other of things. The package label is clearly correct, but the computer did not recognize it and guessed way wrong.

Depending on the route, the possibility of a wrong delivering is once a week or once or twice a day. The key is looking at the package label, not the SPA label.

Does FedEx use PAS?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This is why I always A/C if the spa and package label are different. I have had it go both ways. Sometimes the label is right. Sometimes the spa label.

UPSGUY72

For UPS if the Address is correct and you scan the package somewhere other than the address the DIAD starts beeping and part of the screen will turn Red on the DIAD ... to say you not atthe right Address.

If the scanners in the morning could scan the label and it got manually inputted into the system the person inputted could have messed up but this usually happens with street names that start with the same letters or are very similar and the person manually inputting are just trying to work faster than they should.

Wrong deliveries don't happen very often. They do happen but it's not a normal everyday occurrence or even every week occurrence. In a center it might happen once or twice a week but if it's happen every day or every week on a route the Driver needs retraining.... We scan the label so looking at it and seeing if the address or even just the street is correct is almost automatic....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Big screw up on the drivers part. Don't use UPS and that's what you get.

If I had to make the law, no street names would ever be use more than once. No Main, E. Main, W Main, no Oak Street, Oak Terrace, etc. Also, no skipping number 13.

upschuck

For UPS if the Address is correct and you scan the package somewhere other than the address the DIAD starts beeping and part of the screen will turn Red on the DIAD ... to say you not atthe right Address.
Only if the package is in your Diad, if not then no prompt.

UPSGUY72

Only if the package is in your Diad, if not then no prompt.

If that area of town isn't in your Diad than you have to do another step I believe to Override this should also make the Driver double check the address on the package.

If the package isn't in your DIAD your have to manual enter the address thus you have to look at the label...

upschuck

If that area of town isn't in your Diad than you have to do another step I believe to Override this should also make the Driver double check the address on the package.

If the package isn't in your DIAD your have to manual enter the address thus you have to look at the label...
Some people don't look at each pkg in a dump stop, some people are to lazy to look at label when they have 2 identical packages, and if DIAD doesn't alert them, they deliver. I've seen both of these happen.

iruhnman630

In any given year each of us will deliver an average of approximately 60,000 packages. We are not perfect. Eventually we will all misdeliver one.

Grab the wrong package at a stop, misread a house number, turn down the wrong street....mistakes happen.

barnyard

KTM rider
I catch EDD/PAS wrong AT LEAST once per week. Sometimes I know where they go and deliver them, sometimes I bring them back for an AC. Sometimes the address on the package is correct, but it is spaced weird.

Ex: 11 000 hwy 100 is a good address. It is really 11000 hwy 100. EDD/PAS 'corrected' it to 11 N Main, about 6 miles from the correct address. I see streets and avenues confused and north and south guessed incorrectly.

PAS/EDD was sold as a system that would weed out incorrect addresses. We have had it for 6+ years and have NEVER delivered to 11 N Main or 11 S Main, BOTH addresses are parking lots and yet PAS/EDD routinely puts those addresses on packages.

That is one example from last week on Wednesday. Every single day, the route I did last week had AT LEAST 1 bad SPA address per day. Most days there were 2. 1 stop had packages SPAd to 435 N Main, 435 S Main and 435 Main. All different SPA labels. Delivered 3 stops at 1 door. Had I not been looking, that could have meant 3 trips to that business.

Every single route I do in my center has similar bad guesses and unless you know to look for them, will require backtracking or say, "the heck with it", EC it and deliver it the next day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is one example from last week on Wednesday. Every single day, the route I did last week had AT LEAST 1 bad SPA address per day. Most days there were 2. 1 stop had packages SPAd to 435 N Main, 435 S Main and 435 Main. All different SPA labels. Delivered 3 stops at 1 door. Had I not been looking, that could have meant 3 trips to that business.

Every single route I do in my center has similar bad guesses and unless you know to look for them, will require backtracking or say, "the heck with it", EC it and deliver it the next day.

Did you take credit for 3 stops or did you do the right thing by sheeting the package that was SPA'd correctly first and then adding the other two (hitting "Y") before having them sign?

EC would not be used for a bad PAL.