How dare UPS layoff workers after profitting $5.8 BILLION in 2010?

804brown

Your emotional outbursts serve to express your strong feeling on this matter very well but these emotional outbursts do nothing to change the facts as laid out by Pretzel and myself.
UPS going public and the strike of 97 certainly changed many things at UPS.

Oh dear, Oh my. NOT "emotional outbursts". We can have lay offs and firings and profits through the roof but not "emotional outbursts". We'll have NONE of that!

sigh, ok here we go...

:smart:

I don't know one other person that works these hours. Matter of fact I have never met anyone in 25 years outside of UPS that works these kind of hours. Over the last 3 years I have averaged 57.4hrs, not including my lunch. This isn't 57.4 hrs behind a desk, I could do that in my sleep. I hear ER doctors work 65-70hrs a week and some people in finance, but ill be willing to bet my bottom dollar that isn't Monday through Friday.

UPS is an evil, disgusting, vile company that violates thousands of laws every year and makes absolutely zero attempt to abide by their contractual obligations. I wouldn't buy UPS stock if someone promised me 3,000% return, its blood money. This place makes me sick and I wouldn't wish 25+ years at UPS on my worst enemy. I'm close to retirement, if I wasn't I would of quit awhile ago...this job is no longer worth it, especially with the pension bs. Less than a year and ill be starting the next chapter in my life, a much happier chapter.

As for all you operations managers, I will NEVER know or understand how you sleep at night. I feel sorry for your families, especially your parents, what a disgrace.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I don't know one other person that works these hours. Matter of fact I have never met anyone in 25 years outside of UPS that works these kind of hours. Over the last 3 years I have averaged 57.4hrs, not including my lunch. This isn't 57.4 hrs behind a desk, I could do that in my sleep
I do it every week 5 days at least 45 hours at a desk job and somtines go in on the weekend and 17.5+ at UPS. And trust me you couldn't do my desk job in your sleep . My time at UPS although hard (I am 56 yrs old) is refreshing.Look I am pro union and been told a pretty good steward and like I have said earlier the company is not perfect. As union members we need to call them on their transgressions.But trust me its not that bad I have seen the other side.May I offer Walmart for example or maybe our competition FEDEX. How do they stack up in pay and benefits.

pretzel_man

You must be kidding me, "this co is owned by the shareholders". Please this company , this greedy friend#$%^& company is RUN by a small board of out of touch corporate executives, who most likely ALSO sit on other corporate boards. All they care about is profits. They care nothing for the little people, the people making those profits for them and their shareholders (now there's a group of TRUELY ethical people, clueless to how those profits are created, that only are interested seeing their "investments" grow, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY).
You speak of "risk". Please. The men and women who go out there everyday in the cold and the heat, busting their a#$es , RISKING their own health and bodies- NOW THATS REAL RISK. Those conveniently hidden shareholders are clueless to risk. Don't you read the papers. It is these investors who take out special insurance to hedge against their bets , I mean "risks". Heads I win, tails I win!

Everyone of those shareholders should know EXACTLY how those profits are generated. And especially at WHO'S expense. Will that shareholder sleep well that night KNOWING that his neighbor just got laid off?? Or that due to "reduction of staff", his brother-in-law has been reduced down to only 4 1/2 hours a day
and is losing his house! But hey THAT'S OK my UPS stock portfolio just went up! Yippee!!

That's wrong, that's immoral, that's got to stop!

Yes, the company is owned by shareowners. Go ahead and give me all the negative rep you like, I don't care.

Let me ask you a question. Where do you invest YOUR money? Where does is the Teamster pension money invested.

Let me know if you choose to put your own investments in companies who don't care about profits. Who don't care about shareowner return.

You can wish all you want that the "free market blather" didn't exist. Maybe in the long run the communists are right. So far that has not been true.

By the way, I'll bet in a non-free market society, you would make less. Everyone makes the average. Maybe that's why the result was always average.

pretzel_man

I don't know one other person that works these hours. Matter of fact I have never met anyone in 25 years outside of UPS that works these kind of hours. Over the last 3 years I have averaged 57.4hrs, not including my lunch. This isn't 57.4 hrs behind a desk, I could do that in my sleep. I hear ER doctors work 65-70hrs a week and some people in finance, but ill be willing to bet my bottom dollar that isn't Monday through Friday.

UPS is an evil, disgusting, vile company that violates thousands of laws every year and makes absolutely zero attempt to abide by their contractual obligations. I wouldn't buy UPS stock if someone promised me 3,000% return, its blood money. This place makes me sick and I wouldn't wish 25+ years at UPS on my worst enemy. I'm close to retirement, if I wasn't I would of quit awhile ago...this job is no longer worth it, especially with the pension bs. Less than a year and ill be starting the next chapter in my life, a much happier chapter.

As for all you operations managers, I will NEVER know or understand how you sleep at night. I feel sorry for your families, especially your parents, what a disgrace.

I guess the organization has everyone fooled except for a select few with a pulpit here.

Here are some of the awards UPS has received over the last two years. They are well deserved by all UPSers, both management and hourly (well almost all):

100 Most Valuable Brands — Millward Brown Optimor/BrandZ
Best Companies for Leaders — BusinessWeek
America's Most Reputable Companies — Reputation Institute
Top 20 in Reputation, #1 in Customer Service — Harris Interactive
World's Most Admired Companies — FORTUNE
Top 10 Most Trusted and Recommended Brands in the U.S. (#9) — Millward Brown
American Brand Excellence Award (UPS, Business Services category; The UPS Store, Retail category) — City Business Journals Network
California Air Quality Award in Corporate Leadership (UPS Airlines) — Coalition for Clean Air
World's Most Reputable Companies — Reputation Institute
American Customer Satisfaction Award — University of Michigan's Ross School of Business

Cargo Airline of the Year (UPS Airlines) - Air Transport World
World's Most Respected Companies - Barron's Magazine
Top 50 Trucking Companies - The Journal of Commerce
America' s Best Investor Relations - Institutional Investor
UPS named to World's Most Respected Companies list (#11)
Supply Chain Vendor of the Year - Staples Canada
World's Most Ethical Companies - Ethisphere Institute
American Brand Excellence Award (UPS and The UPS Store) - City Business Journals Network
Supplier of the Year, Top Performance (UPS Brazil) - GE Healthcare

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I guess the organization has everyone fooled except for a select few with a pulpit here.

Here are some of the awards UPS has received over the last two years. They are well deserved by all UPSers, both management and hourly (well almost all):

American Brand Excellence Award (UPS, Business Services category; The UPS Store, Retail category) — City Business Journals Network
California Air Quality Award in Corporate Leadership (UPS Airlines) — Coalition for Clean Air
American Customer Satisfaction Award — University of Michigan's Ross School of Business

American Brand Excellence Award (UPS and The UPS Store) - City Business Journals Network
Enough of your lies and obfuscations! It is an established fact that UPS is a tool of Satan himself (praise be his name)!

trickpony1

P man-
Post #46.......So what's your point?
Obama was recently awarded the Pulitzer Prize......for what?
Maybe we should have awarded Obama the Heisman Trophy while we were at it.
So, again,........what's your point?

804brown

Voted by who?? Other greedy corporate executives?? Or maybe some of the same corporate executives who are also on UPS exec board. Please! Very un impressed.

pretzel_man

P man-
Post #46.......So what's your point?
Obama was recently awarded the Pulitzer Prize......for what?
Maybe we should have awarded Obama the Heisman Trophy while we were at it.
So, again,........what's your point?

Here is my point......

In this thread, a tremendous amount of clouded information has been spread. UPS has been called every vile name in the book. The representation of the company has been one sided, self serviing, prejudiced and jaundiced.

So, I posted another side.....

Now, do I think UPS deserves every one of these awards? No. I'm smart enough to know that size matters. Perception matters. Etc.

So, take your Obama example. Is he deserving of a Pulitzer? I don't know. But, he must be a pretty good writer to get one. I have his book. If I posted a thread that Obama was illiterate, don't you think the fact that he received a Pulitzer is proof that he is not?

I am not trying to point out that UPS is the number one, greatest company in the world with no faults. I have not said that. However, if UPS were really criminal and immoral like what has been portrayed here, it would have not won all these awards either.

Like every organization in the world, UPS has faults. Its made up of people and people are imperfect. This thread painted a one-sided and inaccurate view. I posted some evidence of another side. Lets watch how many people dismiss the information they don't like.

PhatAzz

So the promise of your pension is worth the misery you live in?

pretzel_man

Like every organization in the world, UPS has faults. Its made up of people and people are imperfect. This thread painted a one-sided and inaccurate view. I posted some evidence of another side. Lets watch how many people dismiss the information they don't like.

Voted by who?? Other greedy corporate executives?? Or maybe some of the same corporate executives who are also on UPS exec board. Please! Very un impressed.

As predicted.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Miserable people generally are miserable regardless of their environment.

Fair statement but I think you would be shocked at how much things have changed at the operations level since you were last there and especially since we went public.

For example, I overheard a supervisor talking to a fellow employee because he was .20 overallowed the previous day. .20 works out to less than 12 minutes. The employee gave what I thought was a valid explanation but if fell on deaf ears. The employee was not disciplined but I know he walked away from that conversation muttering to himself.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Fair statement but I think you would be shocked at how much things have changed at the operations level since you were last there and especially since we went public.

For example, I overheard a supervisor talking to a fellow employee because he was .20 overallowed the previous day. .20 works out to less than 12 minutes. The employee gave what I thought was a valid explanation but if fell on deaf ears. The employee was not disciplined but I know he walked away from that conversation muttering to himself.

No doubt Upstate. Things have changed. And it has changed everywhere, not just in operations.
Production and cost rules the nest and all decisions and policies are driven from these two metrics.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Wow. If I'm 20 clicks over it's a safe bet that I'll get a pat on the back and a "Great job out there yesterday, Jones!" without even a trace of sarcasm.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Here is my point......

In this thread, a tremendous amount of clouded information has been spread. UPS has been called every vile name in the book. The representation of the company has been one sided, self serviing, prejudiced and jaundiced.

So, I posted another side.....

Now, do I think UPS deserves every one of these awards? No. I'm smart enough to know that size matters. Perception matters. Etc.

So, take your Obama example. Is he deserving of a Pulitzer? I don't know. But, he must be a pretty good writer to get one. I have his book. If I posted a thread that Obama was illiterate, don't you think the fact that he received a Pulitzer is proof that he is not?

I am not trying to point out that UPS is the number one, greatest company in the world with no faults. I have not said that. However, if UPS were really criminal and immoral like what has been portrayed here, it would have not won all these awards either.

Who voted? I don't think the employees were allowed to vote. More like Scott Davis' peers voted. In 1938, Hitler could have won the Nobel if different people had voted. A bunch of ivy-leaguers who's mommies and daddies bought them some magazines or something award UPS an a**-kissing award, and that is your argument? I would venture to guess that the people who voted for those "awards" couldn't handle putting on my britches.

over9five

Staff member
Who voted? I don't think the employees were allowed to vote. More like Scott Davis' peers voted. In 1938, Hitler could have won the Nobel if different people had voted. A bunch of ivy-leaguers who's mommies and daddies bought them some magazines or something award UPS an a**-kissing award, and that is your argument? I would venture to guess that the people who voted for those "awards" couldn't handle putting on my britches.

I wouldn't have said it quite like that, but I agree. These awards are all given by management boys clubs that all sit on each others BOD.

pretzel_man

I wouldn't have said it quite like that, but I agree. These awards are all given by management boys clubs that all sit on each others BOD.

Why don't you do the research for yourself and find out..... The names of the organizations are listed on the post....

I guess now you believe that not only is UPS evil, all of the other organizations listed are unethical and incompetent too.

Again, its easy to dismiss facts one does not like.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You are the one who used that for your argument. You do the research and prove me wrong. I work as directed Monday-Friday.