How did Christmas eve go?

Brown Rocket

212 off by 1615. called in for corrections, ran a bad address across town and then two misloads to the other end of town. Got to the building at 1750 and all mgmt was gone. They left food in the div mgr's office for the air conditioning. Unfortunately no one monitored it and the first third of the drivers in ate it all. I got a sammich and a cracker but that was it.

Last year the center manager made his sups live by their dispatch and stay till all their drivers where in. He also made sure that you came to him (he checked you off on the roster when you came) so he could shake your hand and personally thank you and wish you a merry christmas. They don't make them like that anymore.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Our center manager kept all of the areas on and let all of us who have been using helpers to use them for one last day. I had 120 stops and 200 or so pkgs. We waited for all of the air to arrive rather than leave and have it shuttled but we still left by 0930. Punched out and gone by 1530 which included taking the helper out to lunch. We were allowed to work Code 5. I have Monday off and will make up most of those hours by working New Year's Eve.

Except for one busy day it was one of the easiest Peaks I have ever had.
I like Code 6, but I am a bit different than some.

yeldarb

and to add to that, I was 154 stops lighter than the day before, when I had 412 stops. I think it was about 550 pieces.

SKAGITDRIVER

Oncar suit added 2 splits to even things out 230 stops 173 miles worked until 7:20 came in and all full time supes had left the building and were enjoying Christmas-Eve with their families it is going to be a long 2010 ...

nocturnalbuck

started an hour late , did 75 stops 160 miles in 9 hours, oh yeah in an icestorm . my route is up and down ridges all day long. should've never left the building. white knuckle driving , not fun

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We ran 170 stops and got the last one off at 3PM. Wednesday it was 248 with the last one off at 5:45. For the most part, Peak went well this year. I was lucky to have the same Helper for the second year in a row.

satellitedriver

Good one, as any I have had.
The last stop took the longest. We had tornado's and 6" of rain in 8 hours. The road was flooded and I took another back road to get there and it was also flooded. The only other option was to drive 30 miles and try to get there on mud clay roads.-(not really an option)- I stopped at a farm and asked if I could borrow their phone book to look up a number and I was invited in.
I called the customer to explain I could not get there to deliver their Christmas pkgs. I thought they would be pissed off, but the exact opposite happened. They thanked me for calling and asked me to leave it at a friends home.
That friend was 1/4 mile down the road from where I was calling from.
My wife was thrilled that I got home early at 8 o'clock.
I know it sounds weird, but I always get a good feeling stepping out of an empty pkg car on Christmas Eve.
No matter how tired I am, I feel like Santa looking at his empty sleigh after a hard nights work.

StopTheAct

i had about 170, punched out @ 5..about 40 miles, its nice when you can Run your packages in trace..with the 12'oclock commit!
i was on that,, boom booom pow, bang it out mind Frame!
it was a good day.. and was Beautiful here in South Florida!!

Oncar suit added 2 splits to even things out 230 stops 173 miles worked until 7:20 came in and all full time supes had left the building and were enjoying Christmas-Eve with their families it is going to be a long 2010 ...

At least in your old building there was always a supe there until the last driver came in.

over9five

Staff member
It was great. Zero stops and zero hours worked. Our feeder dept. does not work on Christmas eve. It's a layoff day but who cares.

My day was great. didn't have to work.

Yeah, me too!!!

I don't like how some of you guys returned to a building where all of your management team had already gone home. That is POOR management.
I think I would be making a lot of snide remarks in their presence during the next year...

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

At least in your old building there was always a supe there until the last driver came in.

Yeah, me too!!!

I don't like how some of you guys returned to a building where all of your management team had already gone home. That is POOR management.
I think I would be making a lot of snide remarks in their presence during the next year...

Why is it important to you that a management person be at the building when you check in?
Share the misery?
Satellittedriver never sees a management person at end-of-day and he seems to like it that way.

over9five

Staff member
Why is it important to you that a management person be at the building when you check in?
Share the misery?
Satellittedriver never sees a management person at end-of-day and he seems to like it that way.
It's an old school thing, I guess. Shows a shared respect, I think. It's Christmas Eve, the finale of Peak. We should all be working till the job's done. AND it makes the management team share the pain of anyone they over-dispatched. Gives them added incentive to get everyone in early (or at leats around the same time).

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
It went great, managed to drop a 70 lb. box on the foot of a supervisor in the early morning. That was my christmas present to him

Ha!

Left about 8,000 to 10,000 (by now) airs left in building. Work was called off for monday due to lack of pieces. Still signed up to work a few hours and preload some 1,2,3 days. Could've had a 4 day weekends, and a 3 day work week to follow. But I have nothing better to do then sit around and drink some brews.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Wow, really. One of my resy drivers got about 250 stops everyday of peak. Plus, a pull off for two helpers. This even on Christmas eve. Overall, that small small package car (the smallest ups has to offer) would get anywhere from 450 to 500 pieces a night. I hated loading that car and two heavey buisness cars, bah. Made me feel like a grinch this season.

Share the misery?

I rarely see a mgmt person at night. But it is their job to manage, and managing isn't over until the last driver is in.

I feel more comfortable telling an on car supe about an incident that may have happened that day rather a pt hub supe.

For example a few years back I got stuck trying to turn around at the Y of a driveway shared by 3 residences. One of the residents helped me out. But my chains tore up the driveway pretty good. The guy that he would fill the holes. I wanted to let someone know incase one of the other residents called in a complaint. That way I wouldn't get charged with not reporting an accident.

When I got back no ft supe was there. So I told a pt supe and wrote down the story and put it on an on car supe desk.

Dustyroads

Before I reached my first stop, the Interstate was closed because of freezing rain, so I had to take back roads to the first stop. By noon, it had changed to snow, with winds of 40 mph. Around 2 pm they issued blizzard warnings and most of the residential driveways were no longer visible. Literally, I saw hundreds of cars in the ditch or stuck. On a particular two mile stretch of Interstate I counted 16 cars off in the ditch or median. I punched out at 6 pm, brought back 5 EC's. It then took me three hours to make my commute home. In 31 Christmas' at UPS, I had never seen such road conditions. I felt lucky to make it home.