How do drivers get paid? (FedEx Ground)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You can cry all day about not liking it, calling it a scam, or any other disparaging term but it doesn't change the fact that it is legal. Nor will your bleating change that fact. Once again you prove yourself unable to change or accept reality as it is.

Legal for now, and maybe forever. Ethical? Moral? Fair? No way on any of them. I'll bleat against that for a long time.

fedupped

Route owners do very well. I have a relative that has 5 routes. Writes e v e r y t h i n g off. He received some kind of bonus last year in the high 5 figure range..dont know the specifics. Then hold small carrots over your drivers heads to keep performance up. They are definitely not slaves. More like indentured servants. In a company town.

MAKAVELI

Route owners do very well. I have a relative that has 5 routes. Writes e v e r y t h i n g off. He received some kind of bonus last year in the high 5 figure range..dont know the specifics. Then hold small carrots over your drivers heads to keep performance up. They are definitely not slaves. More like indentured servants. In a company town.
We are talking about the drivers not the contractors.

HomeDelivery

Ground=scam. It's really that simple. You can bleat all day about how wonderful your drivers have it, and when you're finished they still have zero in the way of benefits and low pay. It's really that simple. Nobody needs to visit Quad Cities to know what you're doing. Nick "gets" it, as do the rest of us. You seem to be the one not facing reality.

i dunno about Ground ops that well, but at least they walk into a pre-loaded vehicle & don't have to waste unpaid sorting /loading time

some HD routes are pretty profitable if you can run-gun to the tune of 20-25 stops per on road hour; this week i'm pretty close to the terminal & have a tight service area, allowing me to clock out close to MaineGroundDriver's time (well 1600-1800) so they're making over $1k for at least 50 hours

as a swing/cover, i had to re-negotiate my rates so it can be worth it to me to work that day. If the contractor can't find enough volume, he'll either operate in the red ~ & pay my minimum salary or dissolve the route & split/flex the stops to neighboring routes

during peak, i know to go w/ the temp agency so i will get paid to load/sort, drive to the service area, return to base & any OT tacked on to all those other tasks that a contractor usually doesn't pay for...

dHatch

When I started at ground I was working a part-time sup route then was offered the main route when that driver moved to HD. Since it was a good 10-hour a day route with scheduled pickups I negotiated the minimum per week I was comfortable doing the route for (I knew what the previous guy was making and the route was growing.)

So.. we negotiated a certain amount per week, and the contractor's accountant sent me a breakdown of taxes and everything, showing a pay period of two weeks (Contractor pays with personal check-no paystub).

About a month into this route and i'm performing it just fine, I'm made aware that I will be getting paid twice monthly, the same check amount that the accountant sent me for the two-week pay period, instead of every two weeks like I was expecting and like the last guy was paid. That's nearly a full 10% reduction in salary and less that the previous driver made (I was adamant that I not be paid less than he was when I took over the route).

So.. This was ultimately my last straw with that Circus and I tendered my resignation, even doing the proper thing and giving two weeks notice which I felt was generous.

soc151

i dunno about Ground ops that well, but at least they walk into a pre-loaded vehicle & don't have to waste unpaid sorting /loading time

Pretty sure that FedEx pays a stipend to the contractor for loading of the trucks in HD. You should ask for a flat fee for this - there is absolutely no reason the contractor should be making a profit off of this stipend. I get $30/day when I cover for HD. Then negotiate for your per-stop fee as well.

STFXG

Pretty sure that FedEx pays a stipend to the contractor for loading of the trucks in HD. You should ask for a flat fee for this - there is absolutely no reason the contractor should be making a profit off of this stipend. I get $30/day when I cover for HD. Then negotiate for your per-stop fee as well.

They do, but its a pittance.

STFXG

It's per package... And it really is next to nothing.

Edit: $5 is pretty close for an average hd route.

MaineGroundDriver

We also have 6 days off (I think). You get paid your full salary for short weeks?

Unsure what the "norm" is for FDXG drivers, but I've been paid my full weekly salary since day one. Doesn't matter if there's a holiday, if I've taken vacation, if I've been sick/personal day or even one week when FDX was unable to get us any freight due to storms in the Northeast and we were shut down for a day.