How do i advance my career here?

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by Ramseys, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Ramseys

Ramseys New Member

Hello everyone!

I am new to BC and i love working for UPS! I have been lurking the forums for a few days and figured i would really like to ask for some advice on what to do. I have been working as an Unloader/Sorter for the past 7 months, and i was also a driver helper the previous winter. I have been looking for other opportunities such as Saturday driving but i unfortunately haven't learned how to drive manual transmission. I am looking to find a position that provides a more livable wage than i currently make, I have a B.S. Degree but no other work experience :/ Can anyone suggest to me some other options?
  2. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Welcome to BC, and apologies for what is about to happen.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Dude846

Dude846 Backpacks with Jets

Taking the initiative.
    Learn other person's jobs.

The most important part:
    Ass kissing.
  4. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Here some advice. Learn how to operate the search function on this site
  5. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Go away and learn how to read threads without us holding your an option.
  6. sailfish

sailfish Well-Known Member

Unfortunately everything at UPS is seniority based. If you're looking to drive, sign the sheet the next time one goes up. However, if people above you in seniority also sign it they may bump you out if they're only looking for so many, regardless of other qualifications. Or alternatively you could find a second day job elsewhere until you have enough seniority to secure more steady driving.

Unless you're looking to go into management, driving is really the only option you have as far as 'advancing' goes. I'm sure there's other non-management, non-union clerical jobs throughout the company, but I don't know anything about that.
  7. Ramseys

Ramseys New Member

I appreciate the responses guys. I have been taking a lot of initiative and my supervisors have noticed. I have been given extra time and filled in for other people frequently in other areas than unloading. I will continue to work hard here and hope that i can become a Saturday driver or part time supervisor. I guess there isnt much else i really need to know, just need to ask my supervisor what to do next to make it happen.
  8. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

You are defiantly qualified for part time sup
  9. rod

rod retired and happy

It is fortunate that everything at UPS is seniority based. That is the fairest system there is. There is already enough brown nosing and butt kissing going on. Imagine what it would be like if what route you did or how you got to go full time was determined by who was the biggest kiss ass or who was related to whom.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There are many of us here with degrees in BS.

There are several who have their Masters in BS.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

Do Dudes do that?
  12. sailfish

sailfish Well-Known Member

It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advancement and opportunity sincerely based on personal ability and proven qualification would be ideal, but that's hard to come by.
  13. rod

rod retired and happy

Never happen---there would be a line a block long every morning consisting of those who wanted to kiss ass.
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

Can you imagine if wages and advancement were indeed based on performance rather than seniority?
  15. Dude846

Dude846 Backpacks with Jets

A lot of government workers would be unhappy with their wages.
  16. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Get a second job and wait your turn.
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

Spoken like a true Union man.
  18. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

Their would be a lot more favoritism than their already is. I'm not saying it would be totally unfair but they would cater to certain people who because they brown nose or have friends in high places get opportunities based upon that reasoning rather than their skills or qualifications. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.
  19. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That's not the truth at ups?

I could of said find a job somewhere else where maybe you can kiss up and get promoted real fast.