How do I become a feeder driver?

8rogan

Hello everyone, I'm 19 I started at ups as soon as I turned 18. I decided not to go to college and I want to make a career out of ups, being a feeder driver more specifically. Not just because of the money either, how do I go about becoming a feeder driver? From what I've read it looks like my best route would to be a package handler then after a few years get my cdl and find any feeder job online and just keep applying to different hubs around America until I get one? I'm not sure though! Please help!!!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello everyone, I'm 19 I started at ups as soon as I turned 18. I decided not to go to college and I want to make a career out of ups, being a feeder driver more specifically. Not just because of the money either, how do I go about becoming a feeder driver? From what I've read it looks like my best route would to be a package handler then after a few years get my cdl and find any feeder job online and just keep applying to different hubs around America until I get one? I'm not sure though! Please help!!!
Concentrate on turning 21 first.

upschuck

To do it that way, you need at least a year of semi driving experience. Just bide your time and bid into it like everyone else had to do.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Drive safe. No tickets. No accidents. Find out how to go into feeders from part time. Every local seems to handle it different.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
Schools not for everyone. But you will be waiting a long time if you choose to make ups a career. Get a 2nd job to twiddle your thumbs.

KaiserTom

Doesn't feeder in some areas take 5-10+ years seniority to realistically bid on? If not then I know what I'm doing for a couple of years after college.

UPS4Life

Really depends where in the US you are located. You may not need to go to package car at all but for now just put your time in being part time no tickets no accidents and when you turn 21 get your permit and sign the list and wait. Make sure you tell them when you get your permit as I don't think you're even considered if you don't have it. That's what hr says anyways.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Doesn't feeder in some areas take 5-10+ years seniority to realistically bid on? If not then I know what I'm doing for a couple of years after college.
Yes it does. They have been on a hiring frenzy lately at hubs, so they may have all they need now.

Most small centers have not been hiring, except for retirement replacement.

I had 19 years in bundles before being eligible for feeders with my seniority.

Some can't get any package drivers to sign up so they are hiring from the street or part time.

Just depends on where you are.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Become a driver
Become fat
Become a super slow driver that no one likes
Get transferred into feeders to get rid of you.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1431485229.095558.jpg

Buy a set of suspenders

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Become a driver
Become fat
Become a super slow driver that no one likes
Get transferred into feeders to get rid of you.

You usually become fat after you've become a feeder driver.

And it still goes by seniority. If you are fat, lazy and slow, they may find another way to get rid of you before your seniority allows you to get into feeders.

Skinny, lazy and slow will be the same thing. I only mentioned fat because you mentioned it. I know many fat package drivers that will run rings around most skinny drivers.

They may not be able to run, but don't have to and should not.

Walk at a brisk pace. Even easy for a fat guy. Or should I be politically correct and say a weight challenged guy.