How do I file for time off for short term disability?

Concretion

I will be off work for a minimum of four weeks and need surgery within two weeks. I was just able to make arrangements on Wednesday and will need to be off asap. Any suggestions?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume by the title that the surgery is not work related. You need to either call the local union hall or go to their website, if they have one, to see who handles their short term disability and begin the process post haste. Make sure to request a withdrawal card so that you are not paying dues for the month that you won't be at work and call them back when you are cleared to return to work.

I am having surgery on the 13th for a non-work related injury. I called Ulico, did a short interview over the phone and received paperwork from them on Wednesday which I am to complete and return with discharge paperwork post surgery. There is a 7 day waiting period for benefits which means that I will only be paid for 3 of the 4 weeks that I am taking off. Thankfully I also have Combined, which should make up the difference.

barnyard

KTM rider
Get a note from your doctor that excuses you from work. Have the doctor include a predicted return to work date. Make 3 copies. Keep one, give 1 to your boss or HR and another to the union.

upschuck

Here, you get a one page form to fill out from your union hall. Doctor, center manager, and you have to sign paper, then turn in to the union hall. That is what I had to do many years ago.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There is a 7 day waiting period for benefits which means that I will only be paid for 3 of the 4 weeks that I am taking off.

Once you meet the requirement (usually 7 or 8 days) doesn't your plan, pay you

back to the first day you were off ? You obviously know your insurance better than me.

-Bug-

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've never done what any of the above had said. I just call tell my boss I'll be out. Call my insurance tell them what the doctor said and they send me a check and I come back when I'm good to go. Why should I be telling the Union hall about it?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Interesting subject as I might be taking some time off. As I have never filed for short term or workmans comp in my 16 years working here, what would be the pay rate for your time off? Is the rate based on past wages and does it vary by supplement? I'm not in any hurry to get some surgery done so I haven't looked into it extensively as of yet.

By The Book

Interesting subject as I might be taking some time off. As I have never filed for short term or workmans comp in my 16 years working here, what would be the pay rate for your time off? Is the rate based on past wages and does it vary by supplement? I'm not in any hurry to get some surgery done so I haven't looked into it extensively as of yet.
State disability, based on your earnings I believe. Your check may come later but will cover your entire time off. Talk to your local about a withdrawal card and forms for the doctor.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
State disability, based on your earnings I believe. Your check may come later but will cover your entire time off. Talk to your local about a withdrawal card and forms for the doctor.
Interesting, how far back are your wages calculated, this could come into play to maximize pay during off time.