How do I file for time off for short term disability?

Man Of Brown

Here for full timers its $300 a week minus taxes. One week waiting period unless it's a surgery or you're hospitalized than its no waiting period. Simple one page form.

Contact HR so they can get FMLA approved and so there's no payroll/benefit issues. Also talk to your Union office. They will put you in touch with the short term disability people so that you get paid. If its non work related you'll probably have to have full clearance from your doctor. No light duty or restrictions.

pkgdriver

Interesting subject as I might be taking some time off. As I have never filed for short term or workmans comp in my 16 years working here, what would be the pay rate for your time off? Is the rate based on past wages and does it vary by supplement? I'm not in any hurry to get some surgery done so I haven't looked into it extensively as of yet.

For short term disability I think yours may be the same as mine. 300 a week which bumps up a little after 12 weeks or so. Call HR(855-877-4772)and start the FMLA. Teamcare website will have the short term disability- initial report of disability form in the forms and documents section. Get the form filled out and fax or mail to the numbers on the form. This will start the payments. I had to email this form to HR also. The Teamcare website has quite a bit of information on this in the FAQ's. Call the Union and let them know when you will be out.

Concretion

For short term disability I think yours may be the same as mine. 300 a week which bumps up a little after 12 weeks or so. Call HR(855-877-4772)and start the FMLA. Teamcare website will have the short term disability- initial report of disability form in the forms and documents section. Get the form filled out and fax or mail to the numbers on the form. This will start the payments. I had to email this form to HR also. The Teamcare website has quite a bit of information on this in the FAQ's. Call the Union and let them know when you will be out.
Yes that is exactly what I did to file short term disability claim. I had some delays filing my claim but having to deal with my hub isn't easy. LOL

Dragon

Package Center Manager

PKG driver got it right...if you don't call HRSC it will affect your benefits because you will not show out of work with HR. HRSC very easy to deal with also have the FMLA paperwork sent to you also.

browned out

The master agreement in the contract states you should receive the previous benefit if it was superior your current benefit. It is at the end of the national contract in a memorandum of understanding. Our previous benefit paid after the 4th day off due to an illness. The current Teamcare benefit pays from the 8th day. It should be paid automatically but I had to file a grievance to attempt to get what is required by the contract. Ask your union rep and supervisor for clarification.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was out 9 months with shoulder surgery from being hurt on the job. I took a withdrawal card while I was off. It is just to give you a relief from union dues while making a smaller paycheck.. being off 4 weeks is hardly worth the time and trouble to take a withdrawal and reinstatement, IMO.

The Lone Ranger

I was out 9 months with shoulder surgery from being hurt on the job. I took a withdrawal card while I was off. It is just to give you a relief from union dues while making a smaller paycheck.. being off 4 weeks is hardly worth the time and trouble to take a withdrawal and reinstatement, IMO.
Hey retiredTxfeeder, I'm coming up on 8 months off after shoulder surgery after a pulling contest with my 5th wheel. You got any advice?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
It's two phone calls to your local union office to save $86. I would partake in the effort.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to be out at least two months so a withdrawal card for about $22 a week adds up. Why pay dues when you can't work and get hit for 2-3 months on your first paycheck back? I worked TAW my final time last week so I should have my first Workman's Comp check in the mailbox today. Liberty Mutual has been prompt on their end. Amounts vary from state-to-state. Georgia has sorry W/C laws, I got $525 a week last time.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Hey retiredTxfeeder, I'm coming up on 8 months off after shoulder surgery after a pulling contest with my 5th wheel. You got any advice?
That is exactly how I tore my shoulder up. I would just say to be absolutely sure you are healed up before you go back. You surely don't want to tear it again. Good luck to you.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Get a note from your doctor that excuses you from work. Have the doctor include a predicted return to work date. Make 3 copies. Keep one, give 1 to your boss or HR and another to the union.

I wish it were that simple.
Mine was pretty much that simple. I got my doctors note, scanned it into my computer, emailed it to UPS HR in Atlanta as well a my Local. All was taken care of from there.

The Lone Ranger

That is exactly how I tore my shoulder up. I would just say to be absolutely sure you are healed up before you go back. You surely don't want to tear it again. Good luck to you.
Appreciate it. Don't know if you can give me an idea of what to expect or not, Dr. been telling me all along since surgery that he's not going to give me a full release. I've heard for the 30+ years I've been here that means I'm not going back??? Just had a FCE this week. I know it's getting close to decision time. Any thoughts?

trickpony1

Lone Ranger-
The drivers at our hub all have pin pullers that are kept on each tractor. The company should issue you a pin puller.

They are approx. 3 feet long with a hook on one end and a handle on the other.

Some believe the company is tired of comping shoulders. The puller puts the motion within your power zone. The newer tractors are impossible to pull the pin without a puller anyway.

I don't leave without one.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a pin puller. My problem was where they park trailers on this particular yard, it slopes so rain will run off. It was in a bind, and I thought I could pull it anyway.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Appreciate it. Don't know if you can give me an idea of what to expect or not, Dr. been telling me all along since surgery that he's not going to give me a full release. I've heard for the 30+ years I've been here that means I'm not going back??? Just had a FCE this week. I know it's getting close to decision time. Any thoughts?
I was off a little longer than you. They put me on TAW with therapy, hoping it would fix my shoulder. It did not. I had to have surgery then go thru therapy all over again. I was still having discomfort in my shoulder after about 10 months, if I remember correctly. LM and my surgeon both said I should be healed up. They gave me a date.
I told them I didn't think I could do the climbing required to do the job safely. With 38 years in, I had been mulling retirement anyway. I figured then was as good a time as any. BTW, my shoulder still bothers me from time to time to this day.