How do I start Short Term Disability?

Discussion in 'Health and Medical Topics' started by Paige Hall, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Paige Hall

Paige Hall New Member

My husband is part-time, works twilight shift under pre-load do I get the short-term disability started? He broke his foot and will be out 6-8 weeks.
  2. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Did he break it at work?
  3. Paige Hall

Paige Hall New Member

No it was an accident at home.
  4. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Each state is different in CA you can get forms online fill them out have doc sign em..CA you have to kiss 7 days before disability pay kicks in then you collect aprox 50% lf pay tax free. Also can get a form from union I believe they pay like 75 a week

Sent using BrownCafe App
  5. Paige Hall

Paige Hall New Member

Were TN. But I haven't been able to find anything on upsers to fill out. They still have the Aetna numbers listed and nothing for bc a

Sent using BrownCafe App
  6. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Go to your ins company website, its hardly worth filing for, it is taxed.
  7. Paige Hall

Paige Hall New Member

The website is horrible. It won't tell any info. Or even let us set up an account to very benefits

Sent using BrownCafe App
  8. EOfeeder

EOfeeder New Member

Most short term disablity is handled by the local union.At least out here in the west.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  9. jamie deangelis

jamie deangelis New Member

I am going to be out for 5-6 months do I have to withdrawl from the union? and If I withdawl from the Union do I lose seniority when I come back?
  10. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

You need to talk to your steward and BA.
  11. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The advantage of a withdrawal card is you won't owe dues for the months you aren't working and you won't have to pay initiation again when you return to work. It really doesn't affect seniority. A withdrawal card is for when you quit a job not sure if you are coming back to that same job or to another Teamster job, not for a disability leave.
  12. rod

rod retired and happy

Dirt bike?,ATV, skateboard? ----just curious. Good luck getting short term disability. Lean times ahead.
  13. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

Get Aflac or some type of disability insurance to make up the gap in pay. I don't get it why more people on this job don't get disability insurance with the income we make. Don't get it at all to protect your family with mortgage and everything.
  14. guess302

guess302 New Member

15. jamescasey420

jamescasey420 Member

yes file a withdrawl card immediately. No you don't lose seniority
  16. jamescasey420

jamescasey420 Member

Withdrawl cards are for disability, workers comp and short and long term disability. Our "team care" is so messed up. Your out a couple weeks and they pull your insurance. What sucks it they don't even tell you. Then after a few months you have so many medical bills. Then when you get back to work, your paying union dues for 6 months
  17. pkgdriver

pkgdriver Member

Just off 3 months short term disability. TeamCare/FMLA did not pull my insurance.
  18. jamescasey420

jamescasey420 Member

That means that mgmt. followed proper methods and coded you correctly.