How do you all deal with the "stress" that is upon us now....

A

anonymous6

cold world......your name says a lot. is UPS the only job you ever had? maybe you need some perspective. take a leave of absense until you are hungry and almost homeless.

volunteer at a soup kitchen. go visit a 3rd world country. watch "Schindlers List". Read Viktor Frankls " A Search for Meaning."

I'm not putting you down. I hear what you're saying and I'm in your place from time to time. Things could be worse. If this job is affecting your health you should get out.

you are not alone.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The trade offs used to be worth much more than they are now. I will not cripple my body or my psyche for this company or what I'm getting. The production standards are unreasonable, period. I run 20+ SPORH on the days I have "my" route, 13.5 on the days they use my route for a junk run. I am always at least 30 over. A few years ago I could easily run 1-2 hours bonus. Now I feel lucky if I don't have to sign something in the morning that basically says I'm a crappy driver. To them, here, a fair day's pay is @ 1-1/2 hours less than a fair day's work.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
When I first started working here I used to be really proud to tell anyone and everyone I met that I worked at UPS!! I saw different factors in my life mostly as they related to and revolved around my attainment of such an awesome opportunity of landing the job.

As time has gone on, the bright luster has worn dull and the kudos rendered as meaningless as the criticisms.

I can't fully claim to be immune to the innuendo that I perform at something less than superhuman, or that sometimes I don't feel a sense of pride from doing what I thought our jobs used to be about, but honestly mostly I just focus on my "afterlife".

Looking forward to many years (hopefully) of productive life remembering this experience as a tiny blip on the larger radar that includes many other far more significant landmarks. Similar to the way I remember high school, a looooooooooong time ago, and less significant each year.

Yes I will take away some things when I retire, but while I am still here at UPS, I will focus on making the ridiculous ideas of small minded, power tripping, wanna be respected for my position and not my actions folks, a laughable moment in the footnote of what this tiny slice of time will eventually be reduced to.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The trade offs used to be worth much more than they are now. I will not cripple my body or my psyche for this company or what I'm getting. The production standards are unreasonable, period. I run 20+ SPORH on the days I have "my" route, 13.5 on the days they use my route for a junk run. I am always at least 30 over. A few years ago I could easily run 1-2 hours bonus. Now I feel lucky if I don't have to sign something in the morning that basically says I'm a crappy driver. To them, here, a fair day's pay is @ 1-1/2 hours less than a fair day's work.

Never sign anything. Contractually, you do not have to.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've tried and tried to befriend the man on here to no avail. I've given up and since it bothers you so much I'll stop it from now on. It just seems in the past on here the nicer I've been to him he wakes up one day out of nowhere and bashes the hell out of me. Most of the time it doesn't vet my goat buy sometimes it kinda hurts and I get fired up. Sorry cementups

I just ignore him when he's like that. Most of the time I don't mind but when I see the bashing ball start to roll I head onto another thread and disregard teh previous one from that point on.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Never sign anything. Contractually, you do not have to.

Is that REALLY a fact, I mean they CONSTANTLY have us sign yearly training papers, certs, they want us initial "bulletins" etc... I can't possibly remember EVERY bulletin given to me about a package car, but I presume they would pull it out and say "you initialed it right here, why didn't you follow the directions?" I haven't been signing things of late, but I have in the past.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I enjoy listening to music while I work.
It keeps me on an even keel.
My IPOD has 13,000 songs on it, consisting of most genres.
I plug it into my Dewalt radio and let it roll on random play.
Kind of like my own commercial free radio station.
I believe ITunes said if I played all of the songs back to back it would take 42 days before I would hear the same one twice.
It's the best stress buster I've found.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If you have stress from this job it is because you are allowing yourself to be stressed. Understand this : NOTHING you do will ever be good enough. If it were your supervisor could no longer justify his position. for example: if you are harassed over your overallowed and you somehow bring it down, then the supervisor will find fault with something else be it trace, pick up commit times, or some other meaningless metric he feels you can improve upon. If you allow them to get into your head it will never end.
I do my job the same way every day regardless of whether a supervisor is with me or not( with telematics he really IS with me) and i make certain i have no late air, no mis deliveries, safe DR's and i make all of my pick ups. Everything else is HIS head trip, not mine.

tre305

i just stay in my lane and out of the way of others, sure im cool with everyone from sups up to the center manager, ive learned to have eyes in the back of my head in this job. ive sen close co workers of mines get jammed up over stupid :censored2: most of them were fired....its almost a daliy basis now when i go in i see employee/management rivalries...some got really intense as well.

but you just take it for what it is. ive have 3 years in june. some days i dread going in and others im actually kind of happy to go in. ive thought about quitting on numerous occasions but folks just tell me to stick it out, it'll pay off. but everyone see's how this place is going downhill head first

sometimes i think i would have a better experience if i was hired say....30 or so years ago....now 3 years ago.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I reread Article 28 Section2 of the Western Region Supplement..."Discharges and Suspensions"....and find immediate gratitude in the fact that, unlike those who "manage" me, I am not a frightened little peon who must chase an impossible number every day in order to justify his position at the company trough.

how about put that in laymans terms.....sounds like a bunch of lawyer babble....I guess it is!

how about put that in laymans terms.....sounds like a bunch of lawyer babble....I guess it is!

I think he is saying that he does his job honestly and by the book. The numbers dont mean a thing because he always represents the best interest of the employer. This enables him to go to bed every night with a clear conscious and come to work everyday refreshed and ready to do it again. A fair days work for a fairs days pay is his goal and he knows he is doing it in his soul. He has survived a lot bigger a test than ups and it just isn't going to beat him. He's a man because he gives 110% effort and does is proudly.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
MY NEW NAME IS PATHETIC, coined by my center manager, I was an hour late yesterday. Of course he didnt know I was diadless for 2 hrs, had to deliver the old way, and then put it in when I got a new board. thought that was rather callous, so I think I will be pathetic all week. And my pickups were not listed properly or the pathetic person who is 100% every day in pu compliance would have been 0% in compliance. There were 9 people more pathetic than I, but I got the prize of being pathetic. So I will drag my pathetic arse to work for 3 more days, and when I get tired, Ill just remember I am pathetic, and I wont stress anym ore.

tdgolf

Zone out everything management says. You know what it takes to get the job done, they don't. Talk and pick on customers ( in fun ). They make my day and they can break my day. If you laugh with them the day just flows.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Art 28 Sec 2 of the Western Supplement is a list of the "cardinal infractions" that you can be fired for without going through the progressive discipline process.

It basically means that as long as I avoid doing things like committing felonies, physically assaulting my coworkers, coming to work drunk/stoned, dealing dope or maliciously damaging company property....my job is secure and unlike management I dont need to fear being fired simply because I couldnt live up to someone elses impossible expectations.

satellitedriver

The most stressful part of my day is getting out of bed and walking to the coffee pot.
Then,do the three S's.
Don my uniform and step outside.
This is when I ask myself "the question".
Am I willing to trade this day of my life for money?
This is my way of facing the so called stress, of a working mans life.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The most stressful part of my day is getting out of bed and walking to the coffee pot.
Then,do the three S's.
Don my uniform and step outside.
This is when I ask myself "the question".
Am I willing to trade this day of my life for money?
This is my way of facing the so called stress, of a working mans life.

Do the 3 S's all start with "sh" ???

stink219

Take a step back from the work, take a deep breath, stop worrying about getting fired. Thats the company's way of telling you to go faster. Don't try to screw them, but work just like a sup is with you. You don't need to run. Remember, the best way to get back at them, FOLLOW THEIR RULES. Take your breaks and lunches, stop calling your pickups, follow EDD if you have it, start holding them accountable for everything. Don't they do that to you?