How do you deal with houses with no address numbers on them?

Z

ZQXC

I had a package last week on a country road. I drove up and down twice and didn't see the number on any of the mailboxes, so I picked the driveway with the number closest to it. Knocked on door and asked if it was correct address.
Customer- Yes and no. Actually, it's the address of my daughter's apt over the garage. How can I get this in the GPS or something so people can find it?
Me- Put the numbers on the mailbox.
Her- Oh. Yeah, I guess that would help.

Sigh.....

3053906.jpg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You're driving along watching the mailbox numbers, looking for the next stop. Suddenly, house after house has no numbers displayed whatsoever. Then the next number you see is way ahead of what you were looking for. Alternatively, you have a lane with a bunch of mailboxes at the front. But when you get to the end, you find a toilet of houses and trailers with not a single number.

What do you do about this? I usually try to knock on the door of the house I suspect and ask. Not always effective. But if I have one more follow-up because of numberless houses, I swear I will no-such-number their stuff every day until I see a number.
If its not a bunch of boxes and just 1 here and there, ill check their mailbox for mail and try to confirm correct address, but if its a lot of different houses I agree with Brownslave nsn that bitch lol. You don't have to waste doing that all the time.

MethodsMan

Sometimes the only way to teach people to put up address numbers is the NSN their stuff a couple times. Same goes with the people who don't put their apt. # on their package. I'm not going to research through the leasing office. Its a learning lesson that when you order stuff online you need to give the correct details.

UPSGUY72

I'll open the mail box and look for a number. If I can't find a number to eliminate the house or the right number I will NSN the package. Some rural routes I have covered the house numbers don't go in order and or house number 980 might be across the street from number 133 so guess doesn't work well.

There is nothing wrong with NSN a package. It the same as not delivering because there is no Apt number or Suite listed. After a couple of times people will put a number on there mailbox or apt#, suit on there package.

Those 911 signs work pretty good except in most location in order to get one you have to pay a fee to the local fire district.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
On a rural/woods run you have to put a little extra work into finding stuff until you learn the route. NSN'ing every other stop because you don't want to spend a few minutes to find the place is lame. One woods run I did had a rural mail carrier that used a white marker to write the number on the inside of the newspaper box next to the mailbox. Not a federal offense and no one complained.

Once you learn the route, it's not an issue. A rural bid driver expects to come back to a few send agains and postcarded stops, but don't be a dick.

S

selfcancelsignal

For the purpose of this thread, wouldn't you technically sheet it NFN?

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One woods run I did had a rural mail carrier that used a white marker to write the number on the inside of the newspaper box next to the mailbox. Not a federal offense and no one complained.

Once you learn the route, it's not an issue. A rural bid driver expects to come back to a few send agains and postcarded stops, but don't be a dick.
Many mailboxes have the numbers written on the inside of mailbox. A county on a grid system can do wonders too. Just watching the mileage can get you very close to a house in these counties.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In the old days it was "UTL" on the service cross, Unable To Locate. The post office where I am at writes the house number on the inside of the mailbox door. I will guess and knock on one door or two, after that it becomes a clerk package.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Oh I forgot.... we got a bunch of genuises that reverse the numbers on the back of the box supposedly to see in the rear view mirror . 721 on one side and 127 on the other. Freakin morons

rod

Retired 22 years
In the early years I delivered to a small open pit iron ore mining town that had one section of town that had all company built little houses. They were all identical. The real kicker was that when mining was in its hay day they would move these houses as the mine got larger. After a few years the house numbers had no rhyme or reason to them. You could have 3 different packages addressed to 101, 307 and 516 and they would all be on the same block. Also while delivering in the country you could go for miles and miles without seeing a name on a mailbox. We used 3 X 5 index cards to draw maps where everyone lived. If you were a vacation driver you never wanted to piss off the regular driver or he would take his card box with him on vacation and leave you in the dark.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you dont have a visible house number you shouldn't expect delivery service, let alone fire or ambulance. I like to make snide comments to people about their lack of numbers. Sadly, they don't have a clue.

llamainmypocket

You're driving along watching the mailbox numbers, looking for the next stop. Suddenly, house after house has no numbers displayed whatsoever. Then the next number you see is way ahead of what you were looking for. Alternatively, you have a lane with a bunch of mailboxes at the front. But when you get to the end, you find a toilet of houses and trailers with not a single number.

What do you do about this? I usually try to knock on the door of the house I suspect and ask. Not always effective. But if I have one more follow-up because of numberless houses, I swear I will no-such-number their stuff every day until I see a number.

By reasoning it out. In 99.9% of situations 412 will be on the same side of the street as all the other even numbers and it will be between a smaller and larger address. If that doesn't work then just use your smart phone to "navigate to", Google maps will pinpoint every single house that isn't in the country.