How do you defend against dogs?

underworked1

Until one day when you don't have biscuits and dog is looking at you like "pay the toll mother friend!" Now you're dead meat.
If I run your route when your on vacation and a dog comes running at me expecting treat and I interpret it as he is coming after me he is gonna get the :censored2: knocked out of him. Unless it's a pit, them I'm running and crying like a girl.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I would just put the package (hopefully not some tiny amazon envelope) in between me and the dog and if that doesnt work then my diad goes swingin!

Whargoul

I just don't deliver if there is a dog in the way. If it attacks I'll beat it with the diad or kick it. I have no tolerance for people who can't keep their animal away from me.

Oak

Three cell mag light and a belt ring carrier. I got bit back in '96. Even got threatened by the county for not reporting a dog bite. Wont' happen again.

underworked1

I would just put the package (hopefully not some tiny amazon envelope) in between me and the dog and if that doesnt work then my diad goes swingin!
I'll straight hammer hit a dog with my diad. When I was trained my supervisor told me do not get bit. Kill that :censored2:ing dog if yiu have to....just DO NOT GET BIT!

Rack em

Made the Podium
I am an animal lover so if I can just beat the dog into getting the hell away from me I would do that. I would never kill an animal unless I absolutely HAD to

Oak

There is something to be said about keeping the package between you and a dog. Seems that if the dog can't see your eyes, they can't read you and will keep somewhat of a distance.

underworked1

Oh hell yeah if i see it n it looks mean non delivery other LOOSE DOG SO THE IDIOT OWNER CAN SEE IT ON THE TRACKING lol.
Worst is when you need a signature and you knock....you can just hear this mean son of a bitch scratching and at the door and a kid just opens the door wide open. Now you have less than a second to figure out whether you are gonna have to punt the dog or if he is just bluffing.

underworked1

There is something to be said about keeping the package between you and a dog. Seems that if the dog can't see your eyes, they can't read you and will keep somewhat of a distance.
Yelling no or hey in a deep voice while stepping at them has saved me many times. It usually stops them in their tracks. Also been a few times whwre you just gotta know when to run. Got to make that decision quick because they are much faster than us :)

Oak

About a month ago I delivered to a business I'd never been to. A dog groomer. Two doors, one had a sign to use other door.

I had one package with four one gallon bottles. I placed the package between wall and my leg, then opened the door. Immediately there was a huge (great dane?) barking and teeth on the other side of the door. I dropped the package on his head. He disappeared. As I was picking up the package lady came and signed. I never entered.

SCV good to go sir.

First off, don't turn your back to the dog, unless you're confident that you can't outrun the beast and are already doing so. Even the most beta of dogs will give chase if you run.

Try to stand your ground before backing away and then taking a hard step forward to psyche the dog out. If the dog backs up, just remain dominant.
If the dog doesn't back up you should start backing towards your truck or some where safe. Try to hold something soft between you and the dog so that the dog can bite at it instead of your hand (a hat, an envelope, etc). Dogs tend to sink their teeth into their bites so using the diad as your shield isn't too effective. Ideally, you'd want the diad in your other hand ready to whack that sob if you have to.

Try to keep clenched fists so that they don't bite off your fingers.
Smaller dogs can be kicked/stomped.
Prevention is the best defense against dogs. Never trust their idiot owners. Always scan a gated yard. Approach an open door with caution. Trust your instinct if you don't feel comfortable making a delivery.
I've been told (I don't know the accuracy of this statement) that you absolutely should not :censored2: around with German shepherds, rottweilers, and pit bulls.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
throw that 40lb box of dog food your delivering at it. =]

or give em a biscuit.

you have to know how to read dogs or avoid them if u can.

Chnandler Bong

As long as I know the dog is there, I honk and let the owner come and get the package and/or the dog. Most of them understand, but some will roll their eyes at you and swear they're "all bark". Whatever...

If nobody is home, I try to carry the package in one hand and an empty tote in the other. It's always created enough of a buffer zone for me to get the package delivered.

I'd only smack a dog with my DIAD or kick a dog if I got surprised by it and it was a last resort. I have no desire to be on someone's YouTube or FB viral rant. They can get their package another day or retrieve it at the center for all I care.

PhatAzz

Getting bit once every 3 months? 3 times in one week?
One time in 1983, while the homeowner was holding the dogs collar, I placed the package in the foyer floor and the dog lunged and got me on the knee. One time in a 36 year career. Have I ever been chased back to the truck? Sure, a couple of times.
You're not doing it right.

I did learn that if you will reach down and pick up something ( or act like you are picking up a rock or stick to throw) off the ground - 99% of the time the dogs will stop and not be so aggressive. The dogs have seen that move before. They know what's coming next......
Ever hear of a guy named Pavlov?

upschuck

Three cell mag light and a belt ring carrier. I got bit back in '96. Even got threatened by the county for not reporting a dog bite. Wont' happen again.
The two times I got bit, the center contacted the appropriate authorities.