How do you defend against dogs?

Holydriver

I'll bag a stop and leave it but never just drop
It in the yard.

What difference does it make if the complaint is for you leaving it in the yard or them not getting the package?

Other than one is following the methods and dropping stuff in the yard is not.
im guessing when i got the message about the complaint id simply say i didnt feel safe. the key word being safe. they never question anything when you say you didnt feel safe

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
im guessing when i got the message about the complaint id simply say i didnt feel safe. the key word being safe. they never question anything when you say you didnt feel safe
And they would say then sheet it as NI1 per the methods. Not drop it in the middle of the yard.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
$3K for a minor bite up to $20K or more for disfiguration.
Righteous bucks!
th

Box Ox

so you NI1, tomorrow what do you do? just NI2 and 3 and get a complaint of why the package was returned? i dropped one in a yard today.

Yes, and note the dog each time. The customer can complain all they want to my management team if they've got a dog on the loose. Never seen management discipline or fight a driver over avoiding a possible dog bite. RTS or the customer can pick it up, no problem.

Browntown2014

This is the best thing to do.

Calling them over usually weeds out 95% of the wanna be tough guy dogs. Dogs smell fear, I have in one instance had a very aggressive German shepherd in front of me. Screaming at it, waving my hands and pump faking towards the dog all while backing up and not turning around to it did the trick.

Never give a dog treats, it creates excitement, and some dogs can actually have real bad allergic reactions to some of the ingredients in the cheap treats drivers give them.

Oh good lord dude dogs eat poop, treats aren't going to effect them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Cheryl said she needed help with you!
She needed me back as your personal mod ...
... and I wanted to be able to download banned pictures!

You know if you ban me the only one it would hurt in the long run would be Upstate---He would have to find a "new" old retired guy to harass.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
So I used to get bit by a dog about every 3 months, then there was one week where I got bit 3 times, and finally my last time was this past peak. Now a days if I see a dog that is even remotely scary I drop the package right where I am and walk back to the truck. But I wonder, if you were going to get bit and you could defend yourself, would you hit the dog? There are a few that Id love to hit in the face with the DIAD but I assume UPS would fire me.

carry extra hand truck strap with a pad lock attached.....

WorknLateHuh

It's great when you ask the customer in a new area, "Is your dog ok?" and they say "ehh, ahhh well...."

Then I say, "That's all I needed to hear." *180 degree turn and walk away*