How do you defend against dogs?

AllOnTheHorses

Yesterday, I left a package on a porch.. started walking back to the truck about (100 yrds away).. halfway to the truck, apparently the lady of the house opens her door to get her precious QVC crap and her Rottweiler mix takes out after me. I hear the barking and I look back.
I instinctively stopped and stood my ground, yelled NO! He is racing towards me.. nowhere for me to run or climb etc. So I am thinking, I am going to get mauled.
So luckily the dog breaks into a wide circle around me and the lady yells for him to stop.. at this point I am calling to the dog in high pitched friendly voice, come here, come here.. hoping to defuse him. It worked this time.
I carry pepperspray, but there is no time in that situation to fiddle with it. I wish I could juggle a cattle prod but that would not be possible to carry it and get work done.
I always sheet as Not In.. if I see a threatening dog beforehand. But the, Who Let The Dogs Out, situation is fast and dangerous. Just lucky so far.

AllOnTheHorses

For these surprise attacks.. maybe a big diving knife would be the best defense.
What does UPS do if we kill a dog? Can we carry a weapon? Summer would be the hardest to conceal anything. Maybe I don't really care about this job.. but I'd rather kill an attacking dog (I love dogs BTW) than suffer being attacked for delivering someone's crap.
I make sure my dogs are locked up before opening my door to get the mail etc.

Holydriver

For these surprise attacks.. maybe a big diving knife would be the best defense.
What does UPS do if we kill a dog? Can we carry a weapon? Summer would be the hardest to conceal anything. Maybe I don't really care about this job.. but I'd rather kill an attacking dog (I love dogs BTW) than suffer being attacked for delivering someone's crap.
I make sure my dogs are locked up before opening my door to get the mail etc.
this is why i drop their stuff in the yard and leave. "oh, sorry management, i saw a dog rushing me and my first instinct was to drop and walk at a brisk pace back to my PC. i couldnt help dropping it, i was traumatized. " my helper got bit this peak after making a delivery, the customer opened the door and dog rushed out and he got bit. there wasnt anytime to defend himself or anything. i would have kicked the dog in the head personally but he was on his first day with ups.

El Correcto

god is dead
I usually defend myself from animals with the powerful Not In1,2,3/a remark saying dog. I don't scan the info notice either! You'd be surprised how well this method works, if people want their :censored2:, they'll control their animals like I do. If I end up in the yard with a dog I didn't see/hear or get charged by a neighbors animal I yell at them and stare them down walking backwards to my car. I haven't had to lay into one yet.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1452976370.108209.jpg

Almost 29 years in, and never bitten once. I give out a LOT of dog biscuits. Its better to make friends than enemies.

As far as weapons go, we arent allowed to carry them. We are, however, allowed to carry flashlights. 5-cell Mag Lights are nice to have because it can get pretty dark and scary out there sometimes.

soberups

Wear steel toe shoes.
If it is an ankle biter size, see if you can kick a field goal over the Owners house!
Im not going to use what could very well be a lethal level of force against a dog that probably cant even penetrate my boot leather. I have kicked...and I mean REALLY kicked...a dog a grand total of one time in 29 years. That one was a big, mean German Shepherd that had every intention of chomping my nuts off and I would not have hesitated to shoot it if I had been armed. But ankle nippers? I'm not going to purposely injure a dog that cant possibly injure me.

wayfair

swollen member
Im not going to use what could very well be a lethal level of force against a dog that probably cant even penetrate my boot leather. I have kicked...and I mean REALLY kicked...a dog a grand total of one time in 29 years. That one was a big, mean German Shepherd that had every intention of chomping my nuts off and I would not have hesitated to shoot it if I had been armed. But ankle nippers? I'm not going to purposely injure a dog that cant possibly injure me.
last one that got me was a doberman

rod

Retired 22 years

Trouble is those ankle bitters usually end up getting you just above the top of the boot. I had no trouble at all defending myself when needed--no matter what size the dog was. I also carried biscuits but some dogs are just plain mean. Haven't you ever been chewed out by some homeowner for feeding their precious fifi a store bought dog biscuit when its only suppose to get "special" food?

40 stops to freedom

i blocked the dog door with a pottery barn package once.. just in time too i could hear it making a bee line through the house as well as a snarling bull dog can

soberups

Trouble is those ankle bitters usually end up getting you just above the top of the boot. I had no trouble at all defending myself when needed--no matter what size the dog was. I also carried biscuits but some dogs are just plain mean. Haven't you ever been chewed out by some homeowner for feeding their precious fifi a store bought dog biscuit when its only suppose to get "special" food?
I would rather get nipped above my boot than to kill or seriously injure someone's pet.
I had a customer once who got upset that I gave her Doberman a milk bone the first time I met it. I politely explained to her that her Doberman was up in the package compartment of my truck and that a milk bone was going to be far less injurious to her dog than a 5-cell Maglight to the head. She agreed with me and actually gave me a supply of the organic free-range treats she was feeding it. I wound up being good friends with that dog and never had any concerns about being bitten by it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would rather get nipped above my boot than to kill or seriously injure someone's pet.
I had a customer once who got upset that I gave her Doberman a milk bone the first time I met it. I politely explained to her that her Doberman was up in the package compartment of my truck and that a milk bone was going to be far less injurious to her dog than a 5-cell Maglight to the head. She agreed with me and actually gave me a supply of the organic free-range treats she was feeding it. I wound up being good friends with that dog and never had any concerns about being bitten by it.

I would have kick her just "because"

So I used to get bit by a dog about every 3 months, then there was one week where I got bit 3 times, and finally my last time was this past peak. Now a days if I see a dog that is even remotely scary I drop the package right where I am and walk back to the truck. But I wonder, if you were going to get bit and you could defend yourself, would you hit the dog? There are a few that Id love to hit in the face with the DIAD but I assume UPS would fire me.
I think dogs look at me and think in a grizzly bear. I'm not going to say I haven't been bit but I really don't fear any dog. I guess it's all in your attitude. You know they smell fear? If you are ever on the ground with a dog that mauling you grab a paw any paw and snap it or break it. They will instantly retreat know matter how bad ass th dog is.

soberups

I would have kick her just "because"
Are you joking?
You would go ahead and kick a customers Doberman before determining its intent? Just "because"?
I'm going to retire on this route. I dont need to make enemies, especially when its a lot easier and more rewarding to make friends instead.

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you joking?
You would go ahead and kick a customers Doberman before determining its intent? Just "because"?
I'm going to retire on this route. I dont need to make enemies, especially when its a lot easier and more rewarding to make friends instead.

I give up----re-read what I posted. I said I would kick the woman for being so snooty ---not the friggin dog). I had highlighted the part about organic treats. It was a joke