How do you defend against dogs?

Indecisi0n

I think dogs look at me and think in a grizzly bear. I'm not going to say I haven't been bit but I really don't fear any dog. I guess it's all in your attitude. You know they smell fear? If you are ever on the ground with a dog that mauling you grab a paw any paw and snap it or break it. They will instantly retreat know matter how bad ass th dog is.
Are you a beef cake ?

Holydriver

View attachment 66100

Almost 29 years in, and never bitten once. I give out a LOT of dog biscuits. Its better to make friends than enemies.

As far as weapons go, we arent allowed to carry them. We are, however, allowed to carry flashlights. 5-cell Mag Lights are nice to have because it can get pretty dark and scary out there sometimes.
this situation sucks too. because you can never see them all when you try and leave. or the little corgie dogs that always try and bite your tires. man i wanna just get out and punt one of those little friend-ers so bad sometimes. dont get me wrong, im a happy dog owner myself and have had a dog in my family my entire life. but i have no patience for someone elses dog that wants to try and eat my tires. its kind of like darwin predicted this sort of behavior and the end results that come with it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this situation sucks too. because you can never see them all when you try and leave. or the little corgie dogs that always try and bite your tires. man i wanna just get out and punt one of those little friend-ers so bad sometimes. dont get me wrong, im a happy dog owner myself and have had a dog in my family my entire life. but i have no patience for someone elses dog that wants to try and eat my tires. its kind of like darwin predicted this sort of behavior and the end results that come with it

Natural selection?

Holydriver

Natural selection?
yea. dog is dumb enough to try and eat my tires then it has no place on this earth. i hate the idea of getting into an accident or killing someones dog because they let it run amok around the truck, but for christs sake some of these people just sit and watch as the dog tries to bite the truck. i just wanna flatten the dog and then watch their day go south

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
yea. dog is dumb enough to try and eat my tires then it has no place on this earth. i hate the idea of getting into an accident or killing someones dog because they let it run amok around the truck, but for christs sake some of these people just sit and watch as the dog tries to bite the truck. i just wanna flatten the dog and then watch their day go south
The best way to deal with tire-biters and truck chasers is to throw a biscuit into a nearby bush. The dog will go after the biscuit while you drive away.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The best way to deal with tire-biters and truck chasers is to throw a biscuit into a nearby bush. The dog will go after the biscuit while you drive away.

BrownArmy

A few years ago I got sent out on the blind to cover someone else's route, in a raging snowstorm...not a great day.

My second to last stop was in a cul-de-sac, last house on the right at the top of a very large hill.

Long story short, customer watched me fumble through the snow to his door, and at the very last minute, let his very poorly trained dog out to 'greet' me.

I got bit on the buttocks - I refrained from beating the dog or the owner, but from then on, whenever I happen to deliver to that house, it's mostly NI1,2,3...

Dr.Brownz

UPS hasn't issued me gloves, a flashlight, a bottle of Advil, or a tube of Chap Stick yet...but I buy all of those things because they make my job easier. Dog biscuits are the same thing.

I heard sups have to buy their own too

Last edited by a moderator:

Holydriver

UPS hasn't issued me gloves, a flashlight, a bottle of Advil, or a tube of Chap Stick yet...but I buy all of those things because they make my job easier. Dog biscuits are the same thing.
Right on. I'll still go out without them becuase I like watching the nice dogs stare at me with those sad little puppy dog eyes as I drive away without giving them a treat.