How do you defend against dogs?

BrownThunder

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1453669855.821139.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Or people are known to let any dog out when they answer. Or if kids answer with dogs.
Murphys Law is alive and well, and it says that if there is a dog on the premises then at some point during my career I will encounter that dog no matter how diligent the owner is in keeping it confined.
Gates get left open. Kids let dogs out by mistake. "Stuff" happens. When that "stuff" involves a dog that is supposed to be confined, it is in my and UPS's best interests to have already met that dog ahead of time.

I have my own route so if I deliver someplace with a dog and the owner is there, I am going to be proactive and ask the owner to introduce the dog to me under non-stressful circumstances. Ideally, the dog will be let out onto the porch so I can meet it and give it a biscuit while the owner is standing there making pleasant small talk with me. Dogs are smart and if they see that the owner is being friendly with me and there is no stress or yelling or conflict and its all good vibes then from that point on the dog will see me the way I want to be seen; as the nice friendly man in the brown truck who brings biscuits.

That way, when Murphy strikes and the dog is accidentally outside on a dark night when the owner isn't there, I'm not going to get bitten. Better for me, better for the dog, better for the owner and better for UPS.

I have almost 29 years in as a driver with zero dog bites. There are many who may disagree with my methods but they can't argue with my results.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Murphys Law is alive and well, and it says that if there is a dog on the premises then at some point during my career I will encounter that dog no matter how diligent the owner is in keeping it confined.
Gates get left open. Kids let dogs out by mistake. "Stuff" happens. When that "stuff" involves a dog that is supposed to be confined, it is in my and UPS's best interests to have already met that dog ahead of time.

I have my own route so if I deliver someplace with a dog and the owner is there, I am going to be proactive and ask the owner to introduce the dog to me under non-stressful circumstances. Ideally, the dog will be let out onto the porch so I can meet it and give it a biscuit while the owner is standing there making pleasant small talk with me. Dogs are smart and if they see that the owner is being friendly with me and there is no stress or yelling or conflict and its all good vibes then from that point on the dog will see me the way I want to be seen; as the nice friendly man in the brown truck who brings biscuits.

That way, when Murphy strikes and the dog is accidentally outside on a dark night when the owner isn't there, I'm not going to get bitten. Better for me, better for the dog, better for the owner and better for UPS.

I have almost 29 years in as a driver with zero dog bites. There are many who may disagree with my methods but they can't argue with my results.
I do the same. I have never been bit on route. And I do not agree with their methods. I know more about dog behavior than they ever will. If its a 150 pd dog, I have no chance of fighting it off, with my diad, but I might be able to get to my truck. And if it is charging, I have little confidence in the owner snapping his finger, and it coming back, like mine would. And the ones who control their animals like that I respect them. And I will stand at the door because I know they have control. Most instances where this would happen, not so much.

wayfair

swollen member
Had a GSD come after me the other day because the lady thought she could crack the door open just a bit to get the package from me....

"shut your door, I will place it right here and you can get it when I leave"

SMH