How do you document to the DOT examiner that health condition is stable?

UPSGUY72

I'm a full time driver and have my dot physical in about a week. I unfortunately have a medical issue that I will have to disclose and show that it (and it's treatment) is stable/won't effect my driving capabilities. My doc said he will document this for me anyway I need. I called my local dot doctor's office and asked what forms/releases/documentation/etc was needed. They couldn't tell me because nobody there knew..? I know us UPSERS are not all in perfect health and therefore have been through this themselves. What have you done in the past to document that a health issue you have is stable with treatment, prior to the physical. Thanks!

There are certain medical condition that will prevent you from getting a DOT card no matter if they are under control or not. You can do a search online or go to the DOT website and read up on them. At a DOT physical they are going to check to see if your a Diabetic, see if you can read a eye chart, if you can hear them whispering in back of you, your pulse, and blood pressure, if you a guy your going to have to turn and cough, and they will check to see if your spine is OK, They probably will make you close your eyes and touch your nose and also close your eyes and hold your hand out to your side.

I'm a type 2 diabetic so I have to make sure I'm eating good and and fasting a little longer than 12 hours so when they check my urine they isn't any sugar in it. I also need to see a eye DR eye year.

If you a type 1 diabetic your going to problem if you take insulin. If your a type 2 diabetic and now your sugar level will be normal when they check don't tell them. However if you don't and they detect sugar they are going to ask you and if you say you are and didn't put it on the sheet your going to have problem. If you say your not they aren't going to give you a DOT card until you see your DR. or they will give you 30 or 90 day card.

You need to remember you need to disclose serious medical conditions there are DOT rules preventing you from driving with concern certain medical condition for the public safety. If you didn't disclose those condition and you got in an accident and it was later found out that you hid that condition you could get sued and or sent to jail depending on how severe the accident you got into.

Hopefully the condition you have doesn't prevent you from driving if it does I would appreciate it that you disclose it and understand that it's a public safety issue nothing more. It could be one of my family members or union brother and sister that you kill....

Good luck

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do you do this yourself on your physical? Maybe I'm just trying to be too honest if most drivers don't disclose anything.
It asks have you ever....and being totally honest once I checked them all that applied. aka I once had chest pain, ...it was acid reflux
I once was dizzy....I had the flu
I used to get frequent migraines, I dont much anymore,
But the form asks if I EVER Have. The doc says dont check all these or we have to go over every one of them...
So yes I would list all meds being taken,and not lie about present conditions. And I would take the note along, and not pull it out unless it seems the doc starts having an issue with the medical issues. Its no big deal that you take meds. Or that you are being treated for anxiety. It will be a walk in the park. Less is more.
You have to take in a form printed from upsers.com, and the certification sheet. They can print it for you at work if you know your employee id and have a pasword..

8000Shelf

It asks have you ever....and being totally honest once I checked them all that applied. aka I once had chest pain, ...it was acid reflux
I once was dizzy....I had the flu
I used to get frequent migraines, I dont much anymore,
But the form asks if I EVER Have. The doc says dont check all these or we have to go over every one of them...
So yes I would list all meds being taken,and not lie about present conditions. And I would take the note along, and not pull it out unless it seems the doc starts having an issue with the medical issues. Its no big deal that you take meds. Or that you are being treated for anxiety. It will be a walk in the park. Less is more.
You have to take in a form printed from upsers.com, and the certification sheet. They can print it for you at work if you know your employee id and have a pasword..

I figured some aches/pains and anxiety wouldn't dq me. I never intended to lie, just wanted to make sure I had the proper documentation before I get my physical.