how do you feel about random drug tests?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not arguing here, just asking a question I have no idea what the answer may be. Does the ...hmmm..residual traces ...(I guess that would be an applicable term) that shows up in a drug test impair a person while working? I've read that the evidence of pot use on the weekend could show up on a test given several days later, is this a danger to ourselves and the general public?
Honestly I don't know the answers to these questions.
Impaired? Probably not. Unfortunately it doesn't matter right now. It shows a history of use and by most company standards it is unacceptable. Don't forget, this is not just about company policy or even law. It is about insurance companies also.

Impaired? Probably not. Unfortunately it doesn't matter right now. It shows a history of use and by most company standards it is unacceptable. Don't forget, this is not just about company policy or even law. It is about insurance companies also.
Oh, I do understand that. I just didn't know how long the use of pot would actually impair someone. I don't know for certain what the company's policy even states as far as the off duty use of pot. I do know that with booze there is a time limit that comes into play. I also know from personal that the time limit may not really give you enough time to sober up. DON"T ASK.
I fully agree that no one should show up for work drunk or stoned. But for the company to be able to hole you accountable on the Thursday for something you did on Saturday while off the clock to be wrong.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Oh, I do understand that. I just didn't know how long the use of pot would actually impair someone. I don't know for certain what the company's policy even states as far as the off duty use of pot. I do know that with booze there is a time limit that comes into play. I also know from personal that the time limit may not really give you enough time to sober up. DON"T ASK.
I fully agree that no one should show up for work drunk or stoned. But for the company to be able to hole you accountable on the Thursday for something you did on Saturday while off the clock to be wrong.
Reeeeally?!?!?!?! :rofl:

To ask or not to ask, that is the question.:clubbing:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Facts about pot and drug testing.

You can pass a drug test in as little as a few days or up to 10 days if you don't smoke much ( just once) and have speedy metabolism.

Marijuana can stay in your blood stream from many weeks or even over a month if you smoke often and several times a day, regardless of metabolism.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Only thing you will find in my pee is more pee. No one should be imparied on the job but what you do on your own time should not be anyone business but your own. Just my feelings
Unless "their own business" collides into you.:surprised:

I agree but what if what you do on your own time carries over to your work time?
Agree!

Yup, but I think Trplnkl wants to know if the person is still impaired two weeks after he smokes (or even a day after).
If it's in your system, you're impaired. Ask them if they remember such and such, or better yet, hold up a twinkie.:wink2:

P

pickup

some thoughts on drug testing.

Drugs do affect your driving abilities ( see assorted episodes of cops)

I remember in the late 80s or early 90s, it was mandated that steroid testing for n.friend.l. players would commence the season after the announcement of said testing was announced. The next season, many players showed up noticeably slimmer and less muscular. The threat of the testing encouraged the desired behavior. A similar phenomenon happened just a few years ago in baseball with implementation of steroid testing that carried major consequences ( 60 game suspensions for starters) . The result: many players (who were suspected steroid cheats) showed up noticeably slimmer with no comment on why their physiques suddenly changed.

As for getting away with going cold turkey for seven to 10 days and cleansing it out of your system, that could work for urinalysis tests but some trucking companies are testing hair samples as well. One inch tells the story for one month. So with these trucking companies , you could not be under the influence but if you fail their hair analysis tests, you are considered under the influence. I wouldn't be suprised if one day, ups went the hair analysis route. It is a more expensive test though

tieguy

Banned
carried over from the tattoos thread so it wont get off topic

do you feel companies shouldnt be able to drug test there employees at random and as new hires?

personally i dont see the problem with it at all...i believe they have the right to know that you dont do drugs

If you're going to test a drug you should plan it out. Make sure you have medical assisstance in case something goes wrong. Maybe sit down with cushions around in case you pass out. random testing could definitely backfire.:surprised:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I worked with several people at UPS I had to restrain myself from calling them potheads or similar. I couldn't bite my tongue with one guy. I asked a supe if he could get the guy drug-tested because he was slurring his words, blood-shot eyes, stumbling everywhere, etc. Supe shook his head and said, "Nope. He has to get hurt or do something that makes me suspect he's high. He's never done it." I was drug-tested before going to work for a Chicago grocery store at 15. I would have no problem with UPS having drug tests as a condition of hire. -Rocky

satellitedriver

Pot last for like 30 days. Friend is a cop and another is a state attorney.
Even longer than that, hair samples can bust you on past usage.
As far as the long term impaired effects of Mary Jane, it is the same as alcohol. The difference is that alcohol is converted and flushed from the body's system. MJ leaves a trace of past usage.
It really boils down to life style, weekend or not.
If one is willing to be drunk, stoned and endanger the public at large, they need to be busted.
As a caveat,
I drink more beer than 99% of the members of Brown Cafe (some may argue that point) and I never do it before or during work.

trickpony1

I drink more beer than 99% of the members of Brown Cafe (some may argue that point) and I never do it before or during work.

It can take up to 3 days for the central nervous system to recover from a good drinking spree, irregardless of when you do it.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You know, it's only the people who take drugs who worry about any sort of drug testing. All the questions that start "but what if" ,are from druggies.
Period the end !

some1else

Banned
You know, it's only the people who take drugs who worry about any sort of drug testing. All the questions that start "but what if" ,are from druggies.
Period the end !
right :dissapointed: and only people with methlabs wouldnt want LEO seraching their houses weekly right?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Period the end !

Can you say "Baa, baa"? Because it is all the sheep in this country that have allowed us to become less than we have been in the past.

For me, this has nothing to do with drugs - I don't take any. I would, but I can't find a good supplier.:wink2: It has to do with the erosion of rights & civil liberties in this country. To say it is ok because you don't take drugs is frightening. Then you would allow your house to be searched because you have no meth lab? Or your car searched because you have nothing to hide?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Pot last for like 30 days. Friend is a cop and another is a state attorney.

Pot can also last as little as a a few days to a week if yousmoked a small amount and you were clean beforehand.

Infact, when I was 18, and in "those years" , I passed a drug test after smoking pot 17 days beforehand. There was a job interview and drug screening was required. I remember the amount of days because I was counting and not sure I would pass..

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
If someone wants to get high on their time its their business. random drug tests thumbs down .

In my younger days I used to get baked before the preload every day and I wasn't the only one. I had the reputation for being one of the top sorters on the sort isle and I had no problems doing the job after having smoked pot. It really was a joke that the guys that werent high were the worst sorters. I never got high before work as a package car driver but got baked just about every day after work. That was 10 years.

You can bet your ***** when my days as a feeder driver are over it will be spliff city on a beach in southwest Florida:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Even longer than that, hair samples can bust you on past usage.
As far as the long term impaired effects of Mary Jane, it is the same as alcohol. The difference is that alcohol is converted and flushed from the body's system. MJ leaves a trace of past usage.
It really boils down to life style, weekend or not.
If one is willing to be drunk, stoned and endanger the public at large, they need to be busted.
As a caveat,
You may need a program, that deletes the history.

If someone wants to get high on their time its their business. random drug tests thumbs down .

In my younger days I used to get baked before the preload every day and I wasn't the only one. I had the reputation for being one of the top sorters on the sort isle and I had no problems doing the job after having smoked pot. It really was a joke that the guys that werent high were the worst sorters. I never got high before work as a package car driver but got baked just about every day after work. That was 10 years.

You can bet your ***** when my days as a feeder driver are over it will be spliff city on a beach in southwest Florida:wink2:
I am so glad he said, SOUTHWEST FLORIDA, damned druggie!:wink2: