how do you feel about random drug tests?

over9five

Staff member
Would it then be ok for the police to stop you in the middle of the street and search you?

I mean, as long as you had nothing to hide this would be ok?

sealbasher

carried over from the tattoos thread so it wont get off topic

do you feel companies shouldnt be able to drug test there employees at random and as new hires?

personally i dont see the problem with it at all...i believe they have the right to know that you dont do drugs

i dare them to test me lol

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am facing a dillemna of sorts at work regarding drugs. There are some preloaders who go out to the parking lot and sit in their car and smoke dope after their shift is over. I have seen and smelled them doing it several times on my way into work.

One the one hand, what they do on their own time is none of my business and it isnt my responsibility to worry about "security" in UPS's parking lot. I am not a cop and I am not in management.

On the other hand, they are sitting in a car getting baked and then driving home. If they get in a wreck and hurt or kill someone, I will probably regret not saying something.

I think one of these days I am going to work up the nerve to confront them about it and tell them to go home instead of doing it in the car and driving afterward. I'm not big on confrontations, but its getting a bit ridiculous when a guy is walking into work and the parking lot smells like a Grateful Dead concert.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am facing a dillemna of sorts at work regarding drugs. There are some preloaders who go out to the parking lot and sit in their car and smoke dope after their shift is over. I have seen and smelled them doing it several times on my way into work.

One the one hand, what they do on their own time is none of my business and it isnt my responsibility to worry about "security" in UPS's parking lot. I am not a cop and I am not in management.

On the other hand, they are sitting in a car getting baked and then driving home. If they get in a wreck and hurt or kill someone, I will probably regret not saying something.

I think one of these days I am going to work up the nerve to confront them about it and tell them to go home instead of doing it in the car and driving afterward. I'm not big on confrontations, but its getting a bit ridiculous when a guy is walking into work and the parking lot smells like a Grateful Dead concert.
rat them out to the company paying for the drug habit?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

Please tell them that you are concerned and suggest that they don't smoke & drive. If that does not work then go to the police. I'm sure there is a hot line for this in your area.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sober, I think Matt has a good idea. Go to them directly, and tell them about your concerns. I would probably be even more direct and tell them that they are risking losing their jobs (probably don't care anyway or they wouldn't be smoking on property) and they need to take it somewhere else. Tell them if they don't you will report it. JMHO

ups1990

I've seen some drivers here also show up to work high as a kite. Higher than Redman on stilt's on top of the Himalayans.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Mind your own business.

There is a driver, right around 6-7pm, that is smoking some strong pot in the top closest lot by the guardshack. Sometimes I walk past there and it's like a run over skunk.

When you do that, especially with complete disregard for other people and the company you work for, you are making it other peoples business. That is the only problem I have.

over9five

Staff member
Every person who walks out of a bar and drives home is driving impaired. I feel drunks are far more dangerous on the road driving 100 mph, than a pot smoker driving 25 mph.
Soberups would spend his time more wisely going into the bar down the street and trying to convince the patrons there to give up their keys.

Every person who walks out of a bar and drives home is driving impaired. I feel drunks are far more dangerous on the road driving 100 mph, than a pot smoker driving 25 mph.
Soberups would spend his time more wisely going into the bar down the street and trying to convince the patrons there to give up their keys.
I agree...but I have NEVER driven drunk at 100MPH...that's just crazy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They don't even keep statistics on stoned driving, and every study that I've ever seen referenced has concluded that it's nowhere near as bad as drunk driving, or even driving while overly tired. One consensus of the researchers is that the biggest difference between stoned drivers and drunk drivers is that the stoned drivers are very aware that they are impaired and take steps to compensate for it. That's why the stoned driver is generally in the far right lane doing 5-10 mph below the speed limit.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They don't even keep statistics on stoned driving, and every study that I've ever seen referenced has concluded that it's nowhere near as bad as drunk driving, or even driving while overly tired. One consensus of the researchers is that the biggest difference between stoned drivers and drunk drivers is that the stoned drivers are very aware that they are impaired and take steps to compensate for it. That's why the stoned driver is generally in the far right lane doing 5-10 mph below the speed limit.
Cruise controls, that's the way to go. Of course I'm just theorizing here!