How Do You Feel About This?

NY11725

OK, try to hear me out, and vision this from my shoes.

I am the new pick off on my belt. My belt is one of the heaviest in the building so there is 2 people up top. Everynight when it gets light up top, my supervisor calls me down, and not to go home like the old guy got to do...but to come down and pick up their slack. While up top, we get heavy, and theres a jam on the bottom belt, so our chutes fill up...we yell out to break the jam, 2 minutes later, its still jammed...and now we are running out of places to put the boxes. So I peak under the belt and notice the 2 people who load the trailer where the jam is just hanging around talking...loading real slow...then theres a guy in the trailer next door who is clean as a whitle, but also is over with the other 2 yapping away..almost ignoring the jam...eventually they break it...but anyway...im called down to help them finish up their trailer...then then..all 2 get sent home..and 1 is told to go help out the next trailer...so im stuck finishing, and on top of that doing the eregs....now the one guy who was clean loads the retain trailer...he only loads like 4 to 5 walls a night...which is about probably 280-360 boxes...wow..woopie do...and he gets to go home?

so lets recap

I am pick off....not a loader

the loaders load slow causing me to get called down from my position and help them cus they r slacking...

then the guy who hardly loads all night goes home???????\

why couldnt he do the eregs and finish the trailer? why do I ( the pick off ) have to come down.... EVERY SINGLE NIGHT...and pick up their slack?

The old pick off..was called down and sent home....why do I have to always come down and pick off their slack while they go home and im stuck finishing their work...if they were not talking so much and working..they wouldnt be jammed as much and backed up as much...making everyone do their own postion.

My buddy who use to be a hourly is now a supervisor..and he told me that is complete BS

so my question for you guys is

If this continues where I am called down every night to finish their job...shpuld I go talk to my manager?

and say something like

" I never complain, and I dont mind helping out every now and then, but I dont feel its right or fair, for me to be called down from my postion every single night to finish their work because they are moving too slow, then on top of it for the other ppl to go home while I stay and finish their work "

or should i go to my supervisor first, and talk to him about it before I go to the manager?

What do you guys think?

rod

Retired 22 years
Thats life at UPS. There are doers and then there are slackers. Give them a fair days work for a fair days wage and let management deal with the slackers.

NY11725

Thats life at UPS. There are doers and then there are slackers. Give them a fair days work for a fair days wage and let management deal with the slackers.

Management isnt dealing with them...my supervisors way of dealing with it...is calling me down from pick off to finish their work....that isnt right...and not any of the other picks off in the building get called down to load or do eregs...

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not trying to be a smart A but don't you want the extra money. Sounds like you want to be sent home. ?

NY11725

I'm not trying to be a smart A but don't you want the extra money. Sounds like you want to be sent home. ?

:) lol, well peak season is coming, and UPS is a great job once you get full time or become a driver, but being a part time hourly, your only getting 13-15 hours a week currently. So I have another job where most of my income comes in from. The 120 dollar checks is just on the side..benifits are great though.

I dont mind the extra money no, but it isnt about the money, its just the principle of him sending loaders home that are on the belt, and making a pick off come down to do it..if you have other loaders on the floor, why are you pulling down one of your pick off? You know what I mean bro? I worked my way up to pick off, I did that stuff every day, I always did more then I had to. I should be able to be up top, doing my job, while the loaders do theirs,

rod

Retired 22 years
actually I don't-- I was a part timer for 2 1/2 months back in 1970 so I know squat about your situation. Wish I could help but someone else better step in.:happy2: I'm just picking my nose and running up my post count. Thats what us retired drivers do.

NY11725

actually I don't-- I was a part timer for 2 1/2 months back in 1970 so I know squat about your situation. Wish I could help but someone else better step in.:happy2:
Yea man, im sure it was a lot different back in the 70's, im sure volume is alot more now. Yea, hopefully someone knows what I mean, and understands how I feel

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Work as directed. Only mgmt can or should be worried about how they distribute the work. I have seen many similar situations at UPS. In the end it only matters that you do your job as best you can. I assume you've pointed this out to mgmt? It's a passing phase like everything else around here.

BrownArmy

Welcome to UPS.

You're efficient, you rock, you can handle your gig and half of someone else's...

All of this means that you will get more work.

End of story.

In an ideal world, everyone would pull their weight

You're new to UPS, so try to understand that that statement means (validly) different things to different people.

I.e. some of the people you think are slacking got their *****es worked so hard for so many years just because they did such a good job that now they've slowed the pace down to a more sustainable, long-term level, because honestly, the harder and faster they worked, the more they got taken advantage of.

It's the same thing in package cars - show that you can kick the ***** out of your load and on your route...all you will get is more work the next day.

(Also, you may just have some slackers on your immediate team, and that's lame, but that's par for the course in any work environment, and you should get comfortable with the fact that as a solid and efficient worker, you will always be picking up someone else's slack...).

Point being, if you're complaining about getting too much work when you're kicking so much ***** at your job, consider the fact that you're getting too much work because you kick so much ***** at your job.

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to UPS.

You're efficient, you rock, you can handle your gig and half of someone else's...

All of this means that you will get more work.

End of story.

And that's exactly what I was thinking. You got a good work ethic, NY11725. Keep up the good work!

NY11725

Thank you guys, I started out on a slower belt 1 yr 6 months ago, learned all of that, I loaded 2 trailers at a time n that belt..then I got moved to the belt im on now as a loader, I ended up learning all of that. I always was the guy with the clean trailer and never jammed up. Then when I use to be on the slow belt, I got pulled off to trailers on other belts ive never been before, so I ended up learning the whole building within a year, and now when I use to load on the belt I pick off on, I would load the slow trailer ( which was still decently heavy ) and while its has its dead moments, I always would go help out the heavy trailers without being told to, breaking their jams, and what not. So yea I would have to agree they they definetly know I can handle alot, but it just sucks that its a every day thing. I mean the one guy who does retain only knows retain, and he uses the excuse that doesnt know the sort when he gets asked to help out on a diff trailer. " oh, I dont know the sort" and he gets out of it :(, so me the guy who knows every single detail, gets to do it. Thats the only thing that bugs me

UPSSOCKS

Thank you guys, I started out on a slower belt 1 yr 6 months ago, learned all of that, I loaded 2 trailers at a time n that belt..then I got moved to the belt im on now as a loader, I ended up learning all of that. I always was the guy with the clean trailer and never jammed up. Then when I use to be on the slow belt, I got pulled off to trailers on other belts ive never been before, so I ended up learning the whole building within a year, and now when I use to load on the belt I pick off on, I would load the slow trailer ( which was still decently heavy ) and while its has its dead moments, I always would go help out the heavy trailers without being told to, breaking their jams, and what not. So yea I would have to agree they they definetly know I can handle alot, but it just sucks that its a every day thing. I mean the one guy who does retain only knows retain, and he uses the excuse that doesnt know the sort when he gets asked to help out on a diff trailer. " oh, I dont know the sort" and he gets out of it :(, so me the guy who knows every single detail, gets to do it. Thats the only thing that bugs me

Listen just quit. Your a mess over stuff that happens every day. You sound like a good employee but they keep moving you around because no one wants to hear you cry. Your going to end up a lost time injury or get terminated for workplace violence. Turn in your ID and scanning belt. This place aint for everyone. You need thick skin, and a screw it attitude.

NY11725

Listen just quit. Your a mess over stuff that happens every day. You sound like a good employee but they keep moving you around because no one wants to hear you cry. Your going to end up a lost time injury or get terminated for workplace violence. Turn in your ID and scanning belt. This place aint for everyone. You need thick skin, and a screw it attitude.

Keep moving me around? I earned my new position...what are you talking about?

Mr.Grey

Well I see we have a new Gunner for PT sup.

You have maxed out your knowledge of UPS part-time . Now fit in and work to your liking (management will know, but not care because you kick ass when needed )

OR

Take the ass kicking to a NEW level and fight a new war with MUCH better pay and lots of stupid to fix above and below. (the pay is for the stupid you fix not real work done. aka numbers... right guys?)

if it was easy where the fun in it.

oh ya if ya want to think about management clear the MAPP then brag some .

it only gets harder from there.

UPSSOCKS

You complain about money and pay but cry about wrapping up your area. Why not stay and make your $130 pay check larger? Just Quit. Tons of opportunity right now, jobs open everywhere..

NY11725

You complain about money and pay but cry about wrapping up your area. Why not stay and make your $130 pay check larger? Just Quit. Tons of opportunity right now, jobs open everywhere..

lol just quit...ur an idiot man...its not about the money , ive already stated my income doesnt come from UPS, 130 dollar checks are nothing to me, its all about the benifits until more opportunity opens up within the company if the economy gets better...its just the principle of me being the guy to do everyones job...but I guess you cant consume anything I really said in my original post

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I can see where socks is heading with that question, and I agree. HV P/O is a position that is earned through union seniority. Once a loader has enough seniority they can become a pick off. So what we seem to have is a supervisor that isn't doing something right from what you've told us:

It is possible that the loaders do have more seniority than you, and slowed their work pace down to screw both you and the supervisor since in this particular case you should not be the one picking off. The supervisor will probably also end up with a grievance if this is the case and it continues.

Either that or he is violating the contract between the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and United Parcel Service by sending lower seniority employees home before giving you the option to leave or stay and help wrap up the loads. Loaders always have less seniority than a P/O.

I would just talk with the other employees on your belt, and find out how long they have been working at UPS. Make sure your suppose to be up there because if these other employees have more seniority than you, they won't do you any favors to help get you room up in the chutes.

Now if your supervisor is letting lower seniors leave before you, I would let him know that you are aware of the situation and that you would like to be asked to go or stay in the order of your seniority. This is something he has to do.

I'm sure socks has some great screw all union members reply, and I actually find some of them entertaining even though we all know that in reality people will only follow a management person out of intimidation for so long before they will lay down on you. It takes a good balance of firm and fair. In your case, your supervisor needs to start being fair to his employees and earn some respect before he runs the belt into the ground.

However, you should take pride in being a hard worker. UPS sure could use more of people like you at the P/T level. Socks is right in his previous post. Don't let stuff get under your skin in this place. It will eat you alive. Best of luck.