How Do You Feel About This?

NY11725

I can see where socks is heading with that question, and I agree. HV P/O is a position that is earned through union seniority. Once a loader has enough seniority they can become a pick off. So what we seem to have is a supervisor that isn't doing something right from what you've told us:

It is possible that the loaders do have more seniority than you, and slowed their work pace down to screw both you and the supervisor since in this particular case you should not be the one picking off. The supervisor will probably also end up with a grievance if this is the case and it continues.

Either that or he is violating the contract between the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and United Parcel Service by sending lower seniority employees home before giving you the option to leave or stay and help wrap up the loads. Loaders always have less seniority than a P/O.

I would just talk with the other employees on your belt, and find out how long they have been working at UPS. Make sure your suppose to be up there because if these other employees have more seniority than you, they won't do you any favors to help get you room up in the chutes.

Now if your supervisor is letting lower seniors leave before you, I would let him know that you are aware of the situation and that you would like to be asked to go or stay in the order of your seniority. This is something he has to do.

I'm sure socks has some great screw all union members reply, and I actually find some of them entertaining even though we all know that in reality people will only follow a management person out of intimidation for so long before they will lay down on you. It takes a good balance of firm and fair. In your case, your supervisor needs to start being fair to his employees and earn some respect before he runs the belt into the ground.

However, you should take pride in being a hard worker. UPS sure could use more of people like you at the P/T level. Socks is right in his previous post. Don't let stuff get under your skin in this place. It will eat you alive. Best of luck.

I know for a fact I have more senority than everyone else on my belt besides the main pcik off whos been up top for 5 years. The only 2 ppl on my belt who are close to me in senority is by 3 weeks, and thats me being ahead by 3 weeks. Out of the other 5 people besides those other 2 behind me by 3 weeks...3 of them were hired last peak season, and the last 2 were hired 2 weeks ago...I have been working for UPS since April of 08, which gives me senority...I can insure you I am supose to be up top. Soon as the other guy quit, they came to me about the position.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
Well then the supervisor should be asking you if you want to leave or stay before sending someone of lower seniority home. Plain and Simple.

NY11725

Well then the supervisor should be asking you if you want to leave or stay before sending someone of lower seniority home. Plain and Simple.

Yea man, I know. I really dont mind helping out, but its the fact that he calls me down from pick off and just tells me to do this or do that, while others can. If he just says "steve come down."..and when I come down ask me if I want to stay or go..that is alot better...then its my choice if I want to bust my butt a little longer by finishing up, but thats not the deal with him...he calls me down, and i end up doing eregs while others go home..I wouldnt mind staying up on pick off until the belt is done for the night because that is my position, its just he calls me down to finish the loaders job and it bugs me sometimes. He is only a supervisor for like 5 months or so, and the sad thing is, he comes to me and asks me where something might go because he hardly knows his own sort :(

UPSSOCKS

Yea man, I know. I really dont mind helping out, but its the fact that he calls me down from pick off and just tells me to do this or do that, while others can. If he just says "steve come down."..and when I come down ask me if I want to stay or go..that is alot better...then its my choice if I want to bust my butt a little longer by finishing up, but thats not the deal with him...he calls me down, and i end up doing eregs while others go home..I wouldnt mind staying up on pick off until the belt is done for the night because that is my position, its just he calls me down to finish the loaders job and it bugs me sometimes. He is only a supervisor for like 5 months or so, and the sad thing is, he comes to me and asks me where something might go because he hardly knows his own sort :(

eregs? are you kidding me... I assume you mean irregulars? Just quit.

NY11725

eregs? are you kidding me... I assume you mean irregulars? Just quit.

yup, why should the pick off have to come down and do another trailers irregulars? When there are " Loaders " who can do it. And you can tell me to quit a trillion times, but I like picking off too much to quit :P and I am not going to quit over something like that, I will simply take care of it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Don't listen to Socks,he quit yrs ago and now cleans up at a horse sperm donation bank & he is under qualified even for that job !!!

City Driver

the harder you work, the more work they give you

i dont slack off but i dont bust my ***** either just to have them put half somebody elses trailer on my back

NY11725

the harder you work, the more work they give you

i dont slack off but i dont bust my ***** either just to have them put half somebody elses trailer on my back

If I was still a loader, that is one thing but im a pick off...so why are you pulling down a pick off when you have loaders?

whiskey

OK, try to hear me out, and vision this from my shoes.

I am the new pick off on my belt. My belt is one of the heaviest in the building so there is 2 people up top. Everynight when it gets light up top, my supervisor calls me down, and not to go home like the old guy got to do...but to come down and pick up their slack. While up top, we get heavy, and theres a jam on the bottom belt, so our chutes fill up...we yell out to break the jam, 2 minutes later, its still jammed...and now we are running out of places to put the boxes. So I peak under the belt and notice the 2 people who load the trailer where the jam is just hanging around talking...loading real slow...then theres a guy in the trailer next door who is clean as a whitle, but also is over with the other 2 yapping away..almost ignoring the jam...eventually they break it...but anyway...im called down to help them finish up their trailer...then then..all 2 get sent home..and 1 is told to go help out the next trailer...so im stuck finishing, and on top of that doing the eregs....now the one guy who was clean loads the retain trailer...he only loads like 4 to 5 walls a night...which is about probably 280-360 boxes...wow..woopie do...and he gets to go home?

so lets recap

I am pick off....not a loader

the loaders load slow causing me to get called down from my position and help them cus they r slacking...

then the guy who hardly loads all night goes home???????\

why couldnt he do the eregs and finish the trailer? why do I ( the pick off ) have to come down.... EVERY SINGLE NIGHT...and pick up their slack?

The old pick off..was called down and sent home....why do I have to always come down and pick off their slack while they go home and im stuck finishing their work...if they were not talking so much and working..they wouldnt be jammed as much and backed up as much...making everyone do their own postion.

My buddy who use to be a hourly is now a supervisor..and he told me that is complete BS

so my question for you guys is

If this continues where I am called down every night to finish their job...shpuld I go talk to my manager?

and say something like

" I never complain, and I dont mind helping out every now and then, but I dont feel its right or fair, for me to be called down from my postion every single night to finish their work because they are moving too slow, then on top of it for the other ppl to go home while I stay and finish their work "

or should i go to my supervisor first, and talk to him about it before I go to the manager?

What do you guys think?
I think you should go out drinking with your sups boss.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
OK, try to hear me out, and vision this from my shoes.

I am the new pick off on my belt. My belt is one of the heaviest in the building so there is 2 people up top. Everynight when it gets light up top, my supervisor calls me down, and not to go home like the old guy got to do...but to come down and pick up their slack. While up top, we get heavy, and theres a jam on the bottom belt, so our chutes fill up...we yell out to break the jam, 2 minutes later, its still jammed...and now we are running out of places to put the boxes. So I peak under the belt and notice the 2 people who load the trailer where the jam is just hanging around talking...loading real slow...then theres a guy in the trailer next door who is clean as a whitle, but also is over with the other 2 yapping away..almost ignoring the jam...eventually they break it...but anyway...im called down to help them finish up their trailer...then then..all 2 get sent home..and 1 is told to go help out the next trailer...so im stuck finishing, and on top of that doing the eregs....now the one guy who was clean loads the retain trailer...he only loads like 4 to 5 walls a night...which is about probably 280-360 boxes...wow..woopie do...and he gets to go home?

so lets recap

I am pick off....not a loader

the loaders load slow causing me to get called down from my position and help them cus they r slacking...

then the guy who hardly loads all night goes home???????\

why couldnt he do the eregs and finish the trailer? why do I ( the pick off ) have to come down.... EVERY SINGLE NIGHT...and pick up their slack?

The old pick off..was called down and sent home....why do I have to always come down and pick off their slack while they go home and im stuck finishing their work...if they were not talking so much and working..they wouldnt be jammed as much and backed up as much...making everyone do their own postion.

My buddy who use to be a hourly is now a supervisor..and he told me that is complete BS

so my question for you guys is

If this continues where I am called down every night to finish their job...shpuld I go talk to my manager?

and say something like

" I never complain, and I dont mind helping out every now and then, but I dont feel its right or fair, for me to be called down from my postion every single night to finish their work because they are moving too slow, then on top of it for the other ppl to go home while I stay and finish their work "

or should i go to my supervisor first, and talk to him about it before I go to the manager?

What do you guys think?

Have you considered getting out of the union?
I can't believe they won't standup for your right not to work!
URA2L