How do you feel about your mechanics?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I was lucky, because for most of my time driving I had the same mechanic.

Back before every function on a car was computerized, I did a lot of simple stuff myself. Plug, points, timing, no problem. Disc brakes, piece of cake. Shoot, I could even synchronize a pair of SU carbs using a short chunk of garden hose.

Our mechanic trusted me. I didn't write up little stuff, I'd just tell him. If I wrote something up, it got fixed.
SU carbs! Egads! Tell me about the Lucas electrics.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Often things are found that require vehicles to be pulled from service immediately. No parts on hand to repair, not enough time, unreported issues, etc. On flip side of the coin, the center frequently fails to report when there are breakdowns. Many drivers can't be bothered to see me in person to give detailed information even when I specifically request it. If I can't get the information to make a good educated guess on something I can't see, there's not much I can do.
You have to remember, we don't have all day to make a problem present itself. You do, so any detailed descriptive information you can give is very helpful in resolving the problem. Not asking you to diagnose it, just a clear description of what you are experiencing.

That's it in a nutshell, we generally have very little time to try and diagnose or rectify a complaint at least at my center due to the number of vehicles in my fleet. Giving the best description possible always helps us to diagnose/repair accurately.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
In all seriousness, you mechanics have it rough. For all the crying we drivers do, there is like one of you to 50 of us, if you are having a good day, and its gotta be tough. I can talk pretty well about something mechanically wrong, like king pins etc, I will say it feels like this I think its this, and I am usually close. But did you know there are people who cant change their own oil, spark plugs, change a tire, drive a stick? Who would have thunk. I mean I wouldnt change my own oil unlessed forced, but I could. I have a husband for that, finally LOL. Its got to be mind boggling to you guys who work with some of the people who dont have a clue what to do when anything happens. Or like the ones who when you tel them to look here or there, dont know how to open a hood, check a cable on a battery, or where the battery is.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm getting stuck with MORE rundown, dilapidated, smoking pieces of wreckage from California because nobody can drive a stick at other centers. Some feature floorplates held with duct tape and a hood being held up entirely by the front bumper.

Stopher

I adore my mechanic. In my center they r just a bunch of straigh up good dudes that work tirelessly to get your truck back in the lineup. I for one hate driving a truck I'm not used to. It's like having to take a dump in a strange place. I hate it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The guys in our shop are amazing. They are easy to talk to and for the most part get the job done quick. Just wish we could get on the same page as far as PMI's go. If they could do it while I am vacation would be way cool but I understand that would be difficult to coordinate.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
A PMI should not be an issue for an evening's work as long as there's no nasty safety-related surprises or other scheduled work. They are nominally only 2 hours to perform. PMI's have to be done by rating levels. 5, 7, 8 or 9. 5 is memo priority, 7 is medium, 8 better do it soon, 9 right now.

Last edited:

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our mechanic is very good. I have a great respect for the job he has. He has 30 trucks to keep going. Somehow he does it. UPS doesn't let him stock any parts. So those few get red tagged. We have gotten about 6 little single axel p500 's. So they stuff it with the amount for a p 700. Till it's fixed. So much for scratch on those days. BS anyways

I'm a mechanic for UPS, I've been turning wrenches professionally for 5 years but only about 6 months here at UPS. So far it's a pretty thankless job just like anywhere else except for the guys in the bay next to you. So basically in my short time here I've noticed that there are a lot of driver's that are just down right arrogant and annoying while others seem to be good people and understanding. I do my best to handle my deadline's, dvir's, scheduled repairs, unscheduled repairs, and breakdowns and at the moment I have a fleet of 47 package cars I am responsible for. At times I wonder a bit about how the driver's perceive us because of the many demands/requests that we receive. I can tell you how most the mechanics view the majority of driver's and that would be not too sharp/entitled even. Though keep in mind that doesn't apply to all driver's just a large portion of them lol so what do you guy's think about us?
I love my mechanic. He gets gifts.

JackStraw

Hand him an envelope in Dec. Guaranteed new set of skins in January. Every one I have had has been cool. Except for one who would get pissed if we wrote anything up. So you know what we all would do.....

JackStraw

Hand him an envelope in Dec. Guaranteed new set of skins in January. Every one I have had has been cool. Except for one who would get :censored2: if we wrote anything up. So you know what we all would do.....
Can't believe pissed gets censored here. Everyone here is adults right? Pissed?