How do you force UPS to pay double overtime for over 9 1/2?

upsset

In preparation for PAS, the company changed all the area numbers and therefore the time allowances in those delivery areas. We used to get different time allowances for houses with short walks to the door vs long walks, townhouses in tight groups, apts. requiring customer signatures, etc.... When the area numbers changed all these different delivery situations were combined into 1 area and the lowest time allowance was applied to the entire area. This resulted in a 10 - 15 stop increase per route before the 10 -30 stop increase that came with PAS.

wily_old_vet

upsset said:
UPSDUDE,

If everyone demanded the 8 hr paid day they are entitled to for reporting to work instead of going home when asked we could all work less o/t

UPSSET-That wouldn't work. They would just send the most junior people home.

happybob

Feeders
oakland said:
OK here I go, it's like this: 3 years ago or more (I can't even remember) Local 70 brought the first 9.5 case to the national grievance hearings that are held every year now in October. 80% of our center had filed because we saw no end in site. Our dispatches were stupid, but that's another issue. This driver was ridden with over 20 times, many times the sup would work, or work during the drivers lunch, all documented. There were no problems with the drivers methods or work ethic, all documented. This driver ran and continues to run 2 hours or more out. SORRY I.E BUT YOU BLEW THIS ONE. This case was won as were countless others, I would say all from our center. All hours worked over 9.5 were tallied up for each grievant and each was paid at the rate of 1/2 hours pay for all hours worked over 9.5 from January 1 to Nov 1. To get the grievance going you have to work over 9.5 3 days in a 5 day period. Once the grievance is heard and won the 3 day rule doesn't apply it becomes any day over 9.5 that you are eligable for doubletime. We don't have to refile over and over again, our hours are tallied up every October and we get a check, no bull.
Waiting untill Oct to be paid for hours worked almost ayear ago should be paid interest. Maybe your local should go back and get this rectified. The tally should be done weekly, not yearly

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had 118 yesterday which before the standards were changed required a jumper at xmas to get me in 9.5........., and the reports said it was barely 9 hrs and it took me 10.67. Now for some history................My boss (one of them who had been on numerous rides with me and should basically know the route) had to go out with a green driver.. but they had 80, and ran 2 hrs late............... So my second day back from funeral leave, been 3000 miles in 4 days, and I cannot blame grieving on any of it as it was balls (if I had any) to the wall for 10+ hrs. The first thing I hear this morn is "Oh my 1.67 late, come on .................Im getting my ass chewed by the big boss for you being so late".......Not a single how are you, are you doing Ok, sorry for your loss, or did you have a problem out there? Just typical rhetoric about numbers that dont mean jack **** anymore to me. Didnt matter that I had a misload I lost 20 minutes on meeting another driver with (kinda affects the sporh) if ya know what I mean. or I had to wait on a golden pickup for 20 minutes (kinda also affects the sporh) . Or that I kept getting conflicting messages about delivering or not delivering a pkg suspected of shipper fraud, (no time allowance for stupid questions, make a decision and stick with it) or that I had to go make pickups on another route as a driver got hurt and had to go to a doc on route. Or an oca at 430 totally away from where I was and it was an ars.......Just a normal day. Cold, heartless, suprised they have a beating heart mgmt team. Sad thing is I know they are basically good guys, but they are being driven from that same idiot miles away without a clue. Over 9.5's, never filed in my life, dont care anymore Im filing away, first chance I get and every time it happens.

S

speeddemon

Same going on here. Routed not planning 8.0, but taking 10.5 to run them. Just brilliant UPS.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Retired, although you quit posting on this thread, I know you are still keeping up with it.

Don't inquire about the facts, simply assume whatever complaint is posted has merit

Are you not doing the same thing you are accusing us of doing?

As a driver, and I know I speak for many here (not all mind you but many) who take real pride in their work. Work that they know they do better than any one else.

Now there are a few, and they have posted, or should I say boasted, on what they do to shave time off the day. Much of which is against company policy or some that can get you fired.

But the average UPS driver goes out each day determined to do the best job they can.

Now, you at your whim, can change the standards from your corner office in Atlanta. And because you decree that where 112 stops a day that used to take 8 hours to deliver will now only be a 5 hour day, does that make it so? And when the driver that now has 185, which by the former standards is a 12.85 day, takes 10-11 hours to deliver it he is stealing from the company or a slacker? I take offense at that type of attitude.

My thinking is that you really have issues in dealing with what is. Maybe where you came from every driver is a thief or dishonest. But the vast majority of our drivers I would trust 100%.

Now as to the issue of getting the company to pay for the double time.

Negotiations at the local level and up are like lawsuits. They will try and settle for nothing, it is up to you to push for what is right. If they offer you to cut back on the hours if you drop your grievance, fine. If they keep their word, you have accomplished your goal.

But if they dont, and you do not follow up with more grievances and hold them to the fire and accept more empty promises in exchange for you dropping the grievances, then shame on you. You blinked and lost.

If the reason they are not pursued is because of the BA not having the balls to follow through, then get a new BA. They are elected, and you hold the key to getting rid of those that do not serve the union members. And if they do not follow through on the double time, and refuse, take the BA to small claims court and sue them for your money. Having to pay out of pocket because of breach of contract should make them sit up and take notice.

Or you could complain to the national teamsters, but dont hold your breath.

d

S

sstcyr1001

i was a business agent for 4 years before going back to ups as a driver and i was successful in getting the company to pay double time for all hours worked over 9.5. the first grievance filed in a year put the company on notice the next time it happen again they would pay and then put that driver on a 9.5 watch list and in most cases they would work no more than 2 days in a week over 9.5

Braveheart

Sendagain, the problem, with the way the numbers are on some of these routes now, is dispatch sends you out with 9 hours on paper, it takes you 11 to do it, so you don't finish until 9 pm every day. I don't mind a few long days, but when it's every day, and the ride alongs document that 2 hours over is reasonable, you get to the point you have to try something to be able to get home, occasionally, while your kids are still awake. I didn't get paid on my last batch since I agreed to drop them if they lowered my maximum. Well they did, for 2 weeks, now it's over 220 again, so I guess time to file and not back down this time.
Don't back down. They are just sweet and nice for a week or two and then screw you all over again. They know I will not back down so much that they are afraid to let me even go over the 2 times they can get away with. I make curfew 3 to 4 times a week now and I have slowly but surely getting all the old 9.5 grievances paid to me. I regularly make curfew for months now. I also have a BS sporh that they manufactured on me too. Contract does not say anything about production. Make sure you are good to your preloader so he will tell you when managers are in there sorting your load. They also pull out of the way stops off you and pick lite air days to start your 3 day ride. FILE FILE FILE!!!!!!!! Drivers should not be going home so we get forced to work 10 12 14 hours.

Braveheart

To summarize the thought process stated so far: Don't inquire about the facts, simply assume whatever complaint is posted has merit. The company is always wrong and the employee is always right.

Frankly, you guys are proving yourself every bit as unfair and closed minded as you accuse the company of being. I guess that makes your thought process easy, but it leads to really screwed up conclusions. Frankly, I at least tried to gather and understand the facts. I guess all the facts you guys consider is "COMPANY BAD! EMPLOYEE GOOD!"
Oh I see we are to always trust the ones above us. Like the execs at Enron, Tyco, Healthsouth, Arthur Anderson, etc etc etc Or all the crooked other people like Congressmen taking bribes, hitting on pages, and doing illegal deals with lobbiest. Then there are the Catholic Priests, sure trust all the ones in power because they tell you so, they have all the power. I trust only the Lord and a very few friends and family. I have been stabbed in the back by all but a couple of good managers. 98% of them are out for themselves and their bonuses.

wornoutupser

Just as an update, I have not yet been paid for this greivance.
UPS refuses to send the money even though they agreed to pay me.

I have filed under Article 7 that states all monetary greivances shall be paid within 10 working days. I have also asked for all monies and penalties due to me.

The really great part is that I have filed 4 more weeks since then for over 9 1/2. When the money does come in, it will be a big amount!

twnjrspc

File another grievance for the overtime. You have to go thru the grievance proceedure first, and if the union doesn't get you paid according to your contract, file labor charges against both the company and the local union. Go online to the NLRB website and file your complaint. Remember, you have to exhuast the grievance proceedure first. As far as the 9.5 dispatch, it comes down to solidarity. I don't know what local language you have, but we have a 8hr.guarantee if we show up for work. If you have the same, then get your co-workers to refuse to go home. UPS will find work for them then by adding a split trip.

wornoutupser

I finally got a partial payment yesterday. I am still owed over half of what I won.
UPS is "working on it". Where have I heard that before??

Foamer Pyle

In my center almost everyone is working late. This is the first summer in 18 years that I was expected to deliver 170+ stops per day, and that was with no splits, just my route, going bannanas in the summer time; imagine that. I have never turned in a sales lead, and I never will, until UPS decides to invest in more employees.

W

worthless

indian giver

fyi im a 20 yr driver just wondering if anyone has had thre pkg car taken away i have is there anything a driver can do it doesnt seem rite

Braveheart

Just as an update, I have not yet been paid for this greivance.
UPS refuses to send the money even though they agreed to pay me.

I have filed under Article 7 that states all monetary greivances shall be paid within 10 working days. I have also asked for all monies and penalties due to me.

The really great part is that I have filed 4 more weeks since then for over 9 1/2. When the money does come in, it will be a big amount!
It took me like 6-8 monts but my double time checks started coming in and I bought my self a full tank of gas and roses for my girl.

Braveheart

File another grievance for the overtime. You have to go thru the grievance proceedure first, and if the union doesn't get you paid according to your contract, file labor charges against both the company and the local union. Go online to the NLRB website and file your complaint. Remember, you have to exhuast the grievance proceedure first. As far as the 9.5 dispatch, it comes down to solidarity. I don't know what local language you have, but we have a 8hr.guarantee if we show up for work. If you have the same, then get your co-workers to refuse to go home. UPS will find work for them then by adding a split trip.
Very good post, demand the 8 hours. Some of our guys are at least making them work a partial day so they get a report under their belt for vacation reasons.

Hi All,
I have never stated a thread before but found this one and hope that this quiery gets to those that can answer it.

Last week we were informed by our buisness agent that UPS is pushing to make it so that if your route has over 100 miles consitently or you are a fill in or a relief driver you will not be able to file a over a 9.5 grievience. How can they do this if the contract has been ratified by and areed on by the rank and file.