How do you fuel your vehicles?

HomeDelivery

do you have an in-house fueling station within your terminal?

or you have to drive out there and get fuel from a local gas station?

just wondering...

(i found a local gas station ripping off a FedEx HD rental vehicles during this past peak season) will copy/paste if you want the details if you want

-----------------------------

I know for one FedEx terminal, they have a un-manned fueling island at the rear of the area, far away from the actual building, for Diesel powered package vans/straight trucks only... more convenient so you don't have to wait in line with other customers...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We recently moved to a new facility. The cost of installing fuel pumps, with all of the EPA regulations involved therein, was prohibitive, so our pkg cars have fuel cards and we fuel off-site. Our mechanics take care of the engine fluids and our car wash takes care of the washer fluid.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Up brings out a very valid point.

Our center split a while back. We were hoping they would build a new center for half of it and let one whole state be delivered out of it, and keep the old center for the other state. Even had a good place picked out where we could get our loads earlier, and air by 715 or so.

But heck no. All the gooberment agencies had their say, and they only built a small one to handle one city. The rest they bring here, and they enlarged our center. One of the big issues was the gas fueling area, as they did not want UPS to have one where they bought. And as a practical matter, they under planned the center to where it was almost blown out on day one. So no room for pumps.

But at the old center, we have the car wash fuel the vehicles, as the car wash tunnel is next to the pumps.

To see how the gooberment can manipulate a huge company like UPS, how does a little company even stand a chance..........but that is another subject entirely.

d

HomeDelivery

thanks NY for the quick reply

K I found the posting from another board:

in NJ, there's automated pay-at-the pump with your credit card...
those that spit out your receipt after the fill-up are accurate since these are checked by the state's weights and measures branch from time to time...

here's where the gas station tries to rip you off

if they say the card reader is broken & they have to punch up the amount inside the booth, I have found out that the numbers of gallons/ octane/ price didn't match from the receipt to the pump that was used

they would charge FEDEX (i'm working with the temp agency this peak) more dollars over the real price that was pumped into my E250 cargo van. I questioned them what is up with this? oh it's extra for credit card charges... burned me once since it's still didn't match the credit price per gallon (usually in my area there's a 10 cent difference between cash and credit card prices)

2 days later I came back to same station & then did the same trick on me! wow they think the temp drivers are dumb or too busy with plotting their GPS and looking at their delivery manifests... i got burned twice

it was funny how they're just doing this to the temp drivers of FedEx.... every other one of them said that they're recently signing for the receipts instead of just getting the printout from the pump.

My spidey sense was tingling because this is the same scam that happened to one of my contractors last peak season with a different local station.

I brought it up to my local terminal manager & told them what was going on... they sent a few "undercovers" to verify my observations & true enough, they're padding the receipts a few extra dollars more!
multiply that by ~20 rental vehicles per day for the past few weeks this year, heck they've been doing this for the past couple of years!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.tacomagasprices.com/Forum_MSG.aspx?master=1&category=1056&topic=429714&page_no=1&FAV=N

we have fuel cards as well to fuel those rental vehicles during peak; I noted this same scam when it was being done with a multi-route contractor I worked for a few years back...

pay at the pump= accurate (unless they rig the pumps) paying at the booth; some drivers don't care to make sure the numbers are the same on the receipt vs pump used...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We used to fuel the Diesels on area and the gas trucks at the center. Now we switched to diesel at the center and gas trucks on area. I still fuel my diesel on area. My last pickup is at a mini-mart. Nice and easy.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Diesel and gas on property. And we have people that fuel them for us. I park it and walk away. The next day it is magically fueled and (sometimes) washed and put on it's proper spot.

brownedout

We have 2 gas pumps on property that drivers self dispense. Those of us requiring diesel are given a fleet gas card to use at any gas station selling diesel.

satellitedriver

I use a gas card at the local convenience store.
The card is no good to buy engine oil, so I call the mechanic and they seen a quart down the next day.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
800px-100225-friend-3252P-617.jpg

We call these guys in to fuel all units while on route.
No production time lost.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/100225-friend-3252P-617.jpg
800px-100225-friend-3252P-617.jpg

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Home delivery

I smell bogus story. IF true, it would be a crime, not something only your internal investigators would look into. Gas and the stations that sell it are regulated. The gooberment bunch doing the regulation would shut them down, or at the very least arrest and charge them with theft or fraud.

Besides, anybody stupid enough to do it one, shame on them, to have it done more than that, shame on the stupid person that gave you the card in the first place. Your not smart enough to have your own card...
d

HomeDelivery

not bogus, other temp drivers had similar experiences when asked about it!

the station attendants think the temp drivers would not be watching the pumps; they are too busy looking at the delivery manifest and maps while fueling their rental cargo vans.

and I have personally seen this done to a contractor's account when I fuel their vehicles before I drive to the jersey shore to do my deliveries a few years back (2 gas stations in the Central Jersey area)

this past peak season, I was a temp using the P&D's manager's credit card; and those "habibs" were pulling the same stunt to ALL of the temp drivers!

at least they confirmed it and switched to a gas station that allows FedEx Home Delivery drivers to swipe the card into the pump & actually get a printout from the machine, instead of going into the booth and having them punch it up manually (sometimes they'll be charging plus octane to "bump" the price)

-----------------------------------------
you guys (UPS) are lucky that other people does that for you or you pay at the pump (card reader on the pump itself with a printout directly coming out of it)

if you don't have an in-house fueling station; it's one big ripoff for the company, especially with fuel prices going up these days!:surprised:

PS: and that's why I reported this thing directly to see if they'll follow through and give a reward or something for the gas station's theft/ fraudulent practices

PPS: should I also report the gas station in question to the BBB? or will that be the terminal manager's obligation? since he holds all of the receipts...

the receipts that spit out of the gas pumps ARE ACCURATEl; the ones that they punch up in the booth and made us sign the receipts are forged with inflated prices!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Look, not trying to be unkind here, but how stupid is it to keep going back to a place where you are being ripped off, before you finally go somewhere else? And how stupid is it to wait until the AM when you are trying to get going to refuel your car, why not at the end of the day so you will be ready for the next day?

And what does looking at all your paper work have to do with walking into the store, telling them I bought $60 bucks on pump three, and when it comes time for me to sign, I dont raise hell with it showing $65? And calling the police?

BBB? You have to be kidding me.

You all are that stupid and still in business? WOW!

d

HomeDelivery

Look, not trying to be unkind here, but how stupid is it to keep going back to a place where you are being ripped off, before you finally go somewhere else? And how stupid is it to wait until the AM when you are trying to get going to refuel your car, why not at the end of the day so you will be ready for the next day?

And what does looking at all your paper work have to do with walking into the store, telling them I bought $60 bucks on pump three, and when it comes time for me to sign, I dont raise hell with it showing $65? And calling the police?

BBB? You have to be kidding me.

You all are that stupid and still in business? WOW!

d

danny, they were UNAWARE of it until I brought it up!

key words there.... dee dee deeeeeeee

I'm just a driver trying to save the corp/ and-or the contractor i'm working for some extra operating costs... they were "skimming"

guess you didn't read the original posting; I questioned them the first time and with the 2nd time; since they're too busy getting the other stuff of the operation sorted out, I caught them in the act & other TEMP drivers also confirmed my suspicions...

they are currently using a different station now & they will press charges for the theft... out of my hands

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
danny, they were UNAWARE of it until I brought it up!
Hello, any one home? Your people never look at receipts after you are handed them to make sure the numbers jive?

Dang, how do you all manage to stay in business?

2 days later I came back to same station & then did the same trick on me!
Tricked is how you posted it. What, you are 5 years old, and still get tricked? Now can you call it a trick, they stole from you.
wow they think the temp drivers are dumb
Well now here is where you see some daylight in your post. They dont think you all are dumb, they know it. After all, you went back for seconds after they did you that way the first time.
or too busy with plotting their GPS and looking at their delivery manifests... i got burned twice
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. But you still dont get it do you? Now, how do you plot your GPS, when you are in the station getting "those "habibs"" to give you your receipt?????
it was funny how they're just doing this to the temp drivers of FedEx.
Maybe its because the regular drivers bother to look at what they are signing? Like a smart person would
... every other one of them said that they're recently signing for the receipts instead of just getting the printout from the pump.

Now, I do find it interesting that you come here and post about something, then act like you didnt post it elsewhere first, but then you cant help yourself and make it plain you are posting the same crap all over the net at all the trucking sites.

You were stupid. You got took because you dont have any common sense. You have no concept of security. And for sure, no concept of what to do when something like this goes on. Im still blown away by your suggestion of the BBB.

d