How do you handle difficult to deal with co-workers?

dillweed

upstate might have the best advice here, maybe ask your supervisor to have you both come in and discuss this. Your co-worker may be told that it isn't his/her job to supervise you and to let management do that.

This also brings the issue to forefront and assures that management is aware of the problem. Make notes, keep a good record of all comments from all. Everything said and done may come up later and documentation is priceless.

Please keep your temper and don't let them drag you down. It's so stinking hard to stay above it in such an environment. I am older than most of our part-timers, am quiet to begin with and know nothing about cartoons or video games so can't speak their language. The gossip doesn't interest me as it's the lowest form of communication going.

Countless new employees have come in and tried to dominate, some succeed but not with me. I just plug along and do the job. Have had to tell a few to shut up also. As long as I work by the methods, keep my temper and keep moving things usually go well. I have earned myself the reputation of being a hard-nosed old bitty but it keeps the punks away. The worthwhile people know what I'm about and most respect it. Management also seems to respect my ability to handle an area so the BS complaints from others don't get too far.

You also know how to do your job. Maybe this person is envious of your smooth work methods - tell them you're sorry they are unhappy with your methods but you aren't gong to change for them. Until the situation improves, sit down for a few minutes before your shift and repeat, "I'm stronger than them, I'm stronger than them" It works and they hang themselves. Best of luck, you're not alone!!

Cat fight?
Well, not so much that as a situation not unlike the high school days when the "cheerleaders" tormented the pom-pom squad. This is not to trivialize what is going on with Bitter, this could well blow up to be a major deal if not headed off now.
Bitter, I suggest that you first have a unofficial talk with your immediate supervisor. From your posts on the thread about the warning letters it sounds as if he/she knows you do your job and is probably somewhat aware the others are slacking. The others know you have had the "warning letter" and it seems they want to push your buttons.

bitter to the bone

TRPLNKL,

As a matter of fact I am female but that really has nothing to do with the situation at hand. I don't believe in cat fights or "taking things into my own hands after work behind the building".

All I want to do is be left alone,do my work as directed-by my supervisor and NOT by co-workers in my area.

Yes I am working in a hostile environment in my work area and I know that and I know too that the two main conspirants are aware more than probably (see I don't use text speak-just had to get a litle dig at Drewed-Just kidding guy or gal) that I did get the warning letter.
I tried to talk to my immediate work area supervisor last night but he refused to talk to me-actually he was mad about something else and refused to talk to me asking that I talk to him on Monday. So nothing was accomplished there.

I could actually talk to the Shift supervisor but I feel that he has me marked as a troublemaker as a result of the previous mentioned letter although I have done nothing since then but do my job and keep my nose clean.

My steward is aware of what has been going on so I think the first step I need to do is speak to him (although he has in the past just told me to keep quiet and do my job-but that seems to only work so far as the continued harrassment/hostile work environment has continued). He is aware that said co-worker has said things to me in the past but this time they have been escalated-I feel- to the threat stage.

He's not the best shop steward but he's the only one we have so I guess it couldn't hurt. I've even went above his head and went to our local and spoke with one of the big union reps who said they would talk to the shift supe and get back to me,alas never doing so. But all I've done is speak my concerns about the whole matter thus far, perhaps it is time that I file a grievance and let them know that I do know my rights and that I am serious about this and just not "whining".

Thank you dillweed for the words of encouragement. I will keep them at the front as I begin my work day. I too am an "old-timer" (both in age and by years of work-if you last 10 years at UPS its a miracle ,LOL) and am basically the quiet sort, never joining in with the crowd much, just doing my joba as I was hired to do,hopefully feeling a sense of accomplishment when I go home rather than frustration and "bitterness" (I know bad joke).

One more question. The said employee that originally got in my face has a relative that is a part-time manager of some sort in one of our centers. Ever wonder because of this if the shift manager is showing favoritism towards this co-worker of mine? I can't prove it but I could swear that it appears to be the case.

Thanks for all your help so far. I just want to keep my nose clean and do my job. I'll keep you all up to date about the situation as it moves along.

Last edited:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I have a certain co-worker in my area who very frequently questions the way I perform my job. This co-worker is not nor has ever been a supervisor but talks to me as if they were management.

I do my job as I was trained to do and I have 10 years service at UPS so I definitely know what I am doing. This person has been at UPS half as long as I have and has no where near the experience performing the job as I do.

This co-worker also criticizes and says that I don't work with the team. (there are 5 people in my work area including myself). I work with them as a team as much as I can but never have officially joined the "clique". I basically come in to UPS ,do my work as I am expected to and go home.

Tonight this person got into my face yet again and I told said person "You are not my supervisor, quit questioning me and telling me what to do. Shut up and get out of my face".

Said co-worker then said " Don't tell me to shut up again or I will report you (for what I do not know-telling them to shut up????-thin skinned aren't we) I just looked at this person and said whatever and returned back to my work thinking it was over.

This co-worker then says "oh, you don't think I will?" I just ignored the comment, saying nothing further and finishing my job.

Now a few questions here. 1. How would you handle an obnoxious overbearing co-worker like this? 2. Could this be considered as harassment and 3. I felt like I was threatened by this co-worker due to the fact that they said they "would report" me even though I have done nothing wrong. (I construed this as a threat because she would be going to management and telling lies about me therby causing management to question me. I know this co-worker is just trying to intimidate me but I don't need management on my case if I've done nothing wrong).

Basically looking for answers on how to handle the situation. I just want to do my job and not be "harrassed" by fellow co-workers.

I would go to 7 11 and buy him and a pack of tampons. It seems to me as hi may be having a heavy flow day. I would imagine the whole little click will be starting around the same time so look out for some bitchy attitudes.

filthpig

I have a certain co-worker in my area who very frequently questions the way I perform my job. This co-worker is not nor has ever been a supervisor but talks to me as if they were management.

I do my job as I was trained to do and I have 10 years service at UPS so I definitely know what I am doing. This person has been at UPS half as long as I have and has no where near the experience performing the job as I do.

This co-worker also criticizes and says that I don't work with the team. (there are 5 people in my work area including myself). I work with them as a team as much as I can but never have officially joined the "clique". I basically come in to UPS ,do my work as I am expected to and go home.

Tonight this person got into my face yet again and I told said person "You are not my supervisor, quit questioning me and telling me what to do. Shut up and get out of my face".

Said co-worker then said " Don't tell me to shut up again or I will report you (for what I do not know-telling them to shut up????-thin skinned aren't we) I just looked at this person and said whatever and returned back to my work thinking it was over.

This co-worker then says "oh, you don't think I will?" I just ignored the comment, saying nothing further and finishing my job.

Now a few questions here. 1. How would you handle an obnoxious overbearing co-worker like this? 2. Could this be considered as harassment and 3. I felt like I was threatened by this co-worker due to the fact that they said they "would report" me even though I have done nothing wrong. (I construed this as a threat because she would be going to management and telling lies about me therby causing management to question me. I know this co-worker is just trying to intimidate me but I don't need management on my case if I've done nothing wrong).

Basically looking for answers on how to handle the situation. I just want to do my job and not be "harrassed" by fellow co-workers.

Tell him he wouldn't make a very good male prostitute. then piss in his coffee and slap him.

filthpig

And while you're at it, tell him your nuts are FILTHY and could use a good swabbing. Be sure to tell him to get around the back, too.

Brownnblue

Not sure if this will be of any help, but it did remind me of a story...

Years back, we had a guy in our building who was known for 1) greasing off NDA to anyone remotely close to his route and 2) pointing out mistakes made by junior employees (I being one of them) at great length. I had the route next to him, so I would often be dispatched to bail him out as well.

I had a split pulled one day and that night the guy they gave it to came up to me and commented on a residential customer who gave him a hard time. It sounded like they had quite a confrontation, and he was very frustrated with whatever happened.

Fast forward a few days later. I am at the turn in area finishing up for the day (this is back in the day when we had to do things like count COD turn in cash) when my nemesis loudly and proudly proclaims that he had talked to the customer who had that problem. Since it was my route, he falsely accused me of poor behavior and strongly suggested that I get my act together. I took a deep breath and told him that I had the split pulled, it was another driver who had the stop, and that he was "worse than management"! He muttered something under his breath, turned around to finish his turn in...............and never spoke another word to me until his retirement.

Everyone is human, we all make mistakes. My guess is if this guy is so concerned about your mistakes, he might be making more than his share of his mistakes. Just be patient, your time will come.

Hang in there!

bellesotico

BOXstar
Bah..your co-worker is a waste of energy. Let them throw their tantrums. Work as directed. If there is an issue with your performance your sup will be the one to address it.

helenofcalifornia

I can hardly wait until this guy goes driving. Wait and see what happens when he starts telling other drivers how to do their job. I would love to be there to see the action then!!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Oh yes they can, one preloader that I loathe does not pull his weight, I was sliding a box that he missed up the floor and it hit his foot. He went crying to management trying to get me fired for violence. He is 40 years old acting like a 3rd grader.

That's different. The box hit his foot and he doesn't like you, so it was a window to say something to management and not feel like it was solely to have another member disciplined.

As far as the author, I'd say MYOB and don't talk to the person/people. Obviously something is up the dynamic of your work area and it hasn't been mentinoed.

do your best and make sure your Steward does his job too. You should not have to go directly to a union rep in this situation when the Steward really hadn't been involved (yet)...

TRPLNKL,

As a matter of fact I am female but that really has nothing to do with the situation at hand. I don't believe in cat fights or "taking things into my own hands after work behind the building".

I'm sorry if I offended you with the question. I do understand that as far as YOU are concerned it has nothing to do with gender. That doesn't mean that your nemesis is not using your and her genders as a playing card. You have to know that some people don't have to have a valid reason to dislike another, thus opening the door for the kind of treatment you are receiving.
It seems to me you are going the right way about handling this.

Next time, instead of telling her to shut up, tell her to please mind her own business and you will mind your's. There is no way this can be construed as a threat.

bitter to the bone

Trplnkl,

No problem buddy. Initially I thought "Oh no, here go the guys and their woman bashing comments" but when I though it over, I realized that you were only asking to clarify the situation and not being crass.

As for the whole situation I have decided I will talk to my steward and make him aware of the situation and if it continues then both I and the steward will decide the best course of action. And ignore the person (s) who try to instigate things.

Yes I know I shouldn't have said "shut up" but at the moment it was the only way I could express my displeasure without using "spicy language" if you catch my drift (not that I use that language at work mind you-I know that's a definite no-no)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Trplnkl,

No problem buddy. Initially I thought "Oh no, here go the guys and their woman bashing comments" but when I though it over, I realized that you were only asking to clarify the situation and not being crass.

As for the whole situation I have decided I will talk to my steward and make him aware of the situation and if it continues then both I and the steward will decide the best course of action. And ignore the person (s) who try to instigate things.

Yes I know I shouldn't have said "shut up" but at the moment it was the only way I could express my displeasure without using "spicy language" if you catch my drift (not that I use that language at work mind you-I know that's a definite no-no)
Bitter, we dont have the guy -bashing- women problems here. There may be some from time to time but as a rule, very little. Everyone here is here for the same reasons. Friendship, fellowship, and discussion.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Bitter, the union will strongly discourage filing a grievance against another member. It puts the union in a difficult position, having to defend 2 members. They don't want to have to do that. I speak from experience. After months of dealing with harrassment and going to sups and calling the 800 #, all to no avail, I finally had to think outside the box. I went the civil route. The company thought I was joking, they found out otherwise. It is very effective.

bitter to the bone

Thanks dilligaf for the information. I know that the union will strongly discourage me against filing any action against a fellow employee. I have found out that even if I go to my union representative directly and supercede my union steward that it does little or no good. I have also talked to my union steward directly about the problem.

I could file a grievance against management but this too may bring more harm than good. As I mentioned above I went directly to the union representative who then told me he would talk to management and then get back to me with the results. Well I never heard anything back,not that I exactly expected to (seems to me that my local isn't exactly the strongest or the most proactive on issues-but that is just my opinion).

So barring the fact that I will probably receive little or no help from my union based on past perfromance, I also have thought about going the civil route if the situation gets seroius enough to warrant it.

I know that if I did go this route, UPS would most definitely find legitimate ways to make my life at work a complete and living horror thereby hoping that I would eventually become miserable enough and quit or they would watch my every move and fire me for the slightest infraction. The civil route opens up a whole different can of worms entirely.

As brownnblue said,(to paraphrase) "be patient and hang in there. More than likely the complaining co-worker is making more than their own share of mistakes which will hopefully sooner than later be noticed by supervision."