How do you pick your vacations?

helenofcalifornia

I always burn three weeks in January and February to go skiing with my family. It makes for a very long year with only three weeks vaca left for the next eight months. You gotta admit the benefits at UPS are great!! I think of all those poor suckers working all year for two weeks off.

brett636

You didn't get paid vacations in PT? Or you have to be FT for one year to get paid again?

Its somewhat funky, but this is how it works. I went fulltime at the end of Oct. last year. I had already used up my vacations as a PTer, and supposedly I need to work up my time to "earn" my vacations as a fulltimer. So in effect, all my vacations for this year I won't get paid for until my one year fulltime anniversary in Oct. On the plus side I will be getting about 140 hours of vacation pay in one week.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I take one week in the Spring, one in the Fall, and spread the other four out during the Summer to survive the heat. If my family does a big vacation, I take two weeks off back to back in June or July. I used to take the money for my Option Days, but now I just spread those out and take a day off now and then. I stick most of the Option Pay in my 401K. The driver next to me takes all six at once in the Summer, no way I could do that, he has nothing to look forward to the rest of the year. My customers flip out over my vacation time. One of several good reasons for the Teamsters.:blush:

rod

Retired 22 years
7 weeks of vaca is great but don't let your customers give you a hard time about it. A friend of mines dad had 12 weeks paid vaca after 25 years on the railroad- another had 17 weeks paid vaca (yes 17) after 35 years working in the mines. Even my own lovely wife used to give me a hard time claiming she only had 4 weeks a year working for the state after 20 years. Then one year I kept track of her days off and after adding her vacation days, personal holidays, regular holidays (remember she had a state job which meant she got EVERY stupid legal holiday and last but not least- paid sick days I proved to her that she actually got more paid time off that a UPS driver with over 25 years service.

satellitedriver

Last week of every month from May thru September. It gives me a 3 to 4 week break from the Texas heat. I gained another week this year and took it as an option week. Going to burn 2 of them this thur. and fri.. Spending a long weekend in the Texas Hill country and just doing what comes natural.

hoser

Industrial Slob
7 weeks of vaca is great but don't let your customers give you a hard time about it. A friend of mines dad had 12 weeks paid vaca after 25 years on the railroad- another had 17 weeks paid vaca (yes 17) after 35 years working in the mines. Even my own lovely wife used to give me a hard time claiming she only had 4 weeks a year working for the state after 20 years. Then one year I kept track of her days off and after adding her vacation days, personal holidays, regular holidays (remember she had a state job which meant she got EVERY stupid legal holiday and last but not least- paid sick days I proved to her that she actually got more paid time off that a UPS driver with over 25 years service.
12 weeks paid vacation for working on the railroads :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

17 weeks seems outrageous, then i saw that it was the mines, man, i wouldn't do that work for 35 years, not even for 17 weeks.