How do you spend your lunch break?

Ghost in the Darkness

I always take my full lunch, easiest money I make all day :wink2:

Well technically since we aren't paid for lunch, you don't actually make money. By taking your lunch you just ensure you aren't losing money. Thats why unless I'm able to go home for lunch I'll almost always say yes to being paid for lunch period and go do other work. I'd take 45 min of overtime in place of sitting around not being paid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are in the area that has their DIADs freeze during breaks? I wish we had that here.

I'm glad we don't. We are adults and don't need to be treated like children. We know that we are required to take a 45 minute unpaid meal period and a 10 minute paid break. I may not take them when the contract stipulates but I do take them.

UPSBluRdg03

I take my full hour everyday. I take 30 minutes to eat my lunch at 2 o clock each day under some shade trees at a church where I can also go inside and wash up and such. The other 30 I take at my home on my way back in. I just havent ever been able to sit down for a soild hour. My paid break usually gets burned up talking to a customer about nothing in particular. Thursday I talked to a guy for about a fire pit he built and Friday I talked to a guy about the fishing trip I took today.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm glad we don't. We are adults and don't need to be treated like children. We know that we are required to take a 45 minute unpaid meal period and a 10 minute paid break. I may not take them when the contract stipulates but I do take them.

Plenty of drivers need to be treated like children. Its the childish behavior that make them skip their lunches.

cino321

If the diad froze when you put in for lunch, we might have more full times jobs.

Next time you take lunch, the job you're saving may very well be your own.

cino321

I think it's time for an oldie but a goodie-----Yawn.

If 8 full time drivers run their lunch in your center, your manager needs one less driver. You might not be the guy who gets laid off, but it wasn't too long ago you were in that position. Don't forget where you came from.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I take a 1/2 hour lunch every day, plus a 10 and a 15 min break. I sit and eat and read the paper.

We are not required to take a full hour here, only a half. I almost never take a full hour, I'd rather take 1/2 and get home earlier.

If I have something important going on that evening I will take only my breaks plus an additional minute and put that one minute lunch into the DIAD so that I am being honest and getting fully paid. The next day my sup will bitch and whine about it, but oh well. If he writes me a warning letter I just have to wait 9 months and a day before doing it again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If 8 full time drivers run their lunch in your center, your manager needs one less driver. You might not be the guy who gets laid off, but it wasn't too long ago you were in that position. Don't forget where you came from.

(pssst...I came from the USAF.....I am one of those off the street hires)

If you had bothered to read even part of this thread (post #41) you would have seen that I do take my full lunch and break--just not at the contractually agreed upon times. This works out best for me and for my customers.

Is that bad?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
+1

If you had bothered to read even part of this thread (post #41) you would have seen that I do take my full lunch and break--just not at the contractually agreed upon times. This works out best for
me and for my customers.

Is that bad?
That's funny, it didn't look this way when I quoted the post. Hmmm?

cino321

If you had bothered to read even part of this thread (post #41) you would have seen that I do take my full lunch and break--just not at the contractually agreed upon times. This works out best for me and for my customers.

Is that bad?

I read the post thanks.

Go ahead and take your lunch when you're not supposed. to.

Take into consideration how more work you get off earlier in the day when you don't have to deal with traffic, or fatigue.

So what do you do? Finish the route before your first pick up so you have a nice empty truck to neatly load your pick ups into? Would take more time if you had 20 stops left over and you had to find a place to put your pick ups and maneuver everything around.

It's going to take longer to deliver those stops later when you're dealing with school buses dropping off children and rush hour traffic.

What time are you putting in your board that you are taking lunch? I hope you don't have a accident or an injury during that time when you're working and you are supposed to be on lunch, after all you are falsifying.

Doing this is only benefiting you and the company, that's it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I put the actual times that I take my break and lunch, usually 1650/1700 and 1700/1745.

My route is set up so that deliveries are done before I start my pickups so, yes, I do have a nice, empty truck to neatly load them in.