How do you think the new 9.5 language will affect your center?

undies

Assuming the contract passes(I voted no), how do you think your center will react to the new 9.5 drivers that will be opting in? My center already has a hard enough time getting the 8 hour requests and 9.5 guys in on time. They still load them heavy and scramble at the last minute to get other drivers to pull work from them on road. Makes no sense to me. Once other utility drivers and myself are able to opt in under the new language I wonder how it will be handled. Thoughts?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our center will not change. Most area's are done by 9 hr the latest. Maybe one driver for each week will actually go over 9.5

Overpaid Union Thug

Assuming the contract passes(I voted no), how do you think your center will react to the new 9.5 drivers that will be opting in? My center already has a hard enough time getting the 8 hour requests and 9.5 guys in on time. They still load them heavy and scramble at the last minute to get other drivers to pull work from them on road. Makes no sense to me. Once other utility drivers and myself are able to opt in under the new language I wonder how it will be handled. Thoughts?

They will handle it by accounting for 9.5 penalty pay in the center's budget.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Theyll break that rule just like every other freakin rule they want to brake. The only other way is if you file a union grievance on them. And if you do file union grievances alot youll be on that radar like wildfire best believe that BUDDY ROE lol.

stink219

Theyll break that rule just like every other freakin rule they want to brake. The only other way is if you file a union grievance on them. And if you do file union grievances alot youll be on that radar like wildfire best believe that BUDDY ROE lol.
Everyone that punches in everyday, is on the radar no matter what they think. I file at least one grievance a day. It works. Put the pressure on them. They will change behavior.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Everyone that punches in everyday, is on the radar no matter what they think. I file at least one grievance a day. It works. Put the pressure on them. They will change behavior.

yeah, just dont be like some of the guys who fold like a house of cards if mgt even looks at them...pretty sad they have skittle size nads..lol

stink219

yeah, just dont be like some of the guys who fold like a house of cards if mgt even looks at them...pretty sad they have skittle size nads..lol
You hit it right on the money. It does happen. "If I'm a good worker bee, they will treat me good!"
friend off and File. Grow some stones. We should be balls to the wall with the new language. If I hear on more "Yeah But" guy, I'll go crazy!

Notretiredyet

Unfortunately I don't believe it will change a thing around here, as few will file for anything short of a discharge. UPS knows this and will always use this to their advantage. Nothing short of automatically paying double or triple time after 9.5hrs will fix this issue.

Packmule

I'm guessing your assessment is about par here. They will continue to cut routes and load us up heavy 2 days a week, then threaten you with warning letters if not off the clock under 9.5 the third--unless, of course, you don't file on them. This is the game. It shall become YOUR responsibility to work as directed and call THEM to make hours limits happen day after day until they wear you down. And yes, if you do file, you might get your dispatch down, but you better hope you are never are involved in any tier 2 or 3 accidents, cause you will be gone regardless of who was at fault.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I don't believe it will change a thing around here, as few will file for anything short of a discharge. UPS knows this and will always use this to their advantage. Nothing short of automatically paying double or triple time after 9.5hrs will fix this issue.

Same here. Most of the drivers in my Center sit around and complain about working over ten hours a day, but are too big of cowards to sign the list. I encourage them all to sign it, I don't feel sorry for the ones that don't.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Work safely,work by the methods and one has nothing to fear. Monday will be the Fifth straight week I will file for being over Nine Five and so far this year I have pocketed over 2 grand just for filing grievances.
Our DM has instructed our center manager to pay the grievances rather than put more cars on the road and we are taking him at his word

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

My BA and I were talking about the problems in package cars and he actually had a pretty good take on it as he was in package cars for 20+ years: the guys that are afraid to stand up and file or get on the 9.5 list are very likely the same guys that are doing things they don't want to be caught doing, like taking long lunches or going off-route without authorization. They're worried if they get put under the microscope someone's gonna find some dirt.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Forgot to mention this is also the same problem in the hub. Most of the more senior part-timers that are afraid to stand up and file on, say, supervisors working fall into one of the following categories:

1) Doesn't care -- supervisors working helps them get off the clock sooner. So what if they didn't even get their gurantee?
2) Attendance problem -- constantly late or calls in regularly after burning through sick and personal days. If they start turning in paper, they expect to start being held accountable for this.
3) They're a free-riding scab -- after a certain point, they're pretty irredeemable and will only sign a card if they **** up.
4) They have a legitimate or illegitimate side deal, ie. the FT lets them have a later start time because they work a second job or have school (legit) or they're always allowed a "free day" off during the week if the operation is staffed (not legit)

The only guys that I can get to actually stand up are the ones that don't have any attendance/discipline issues that are either getting screwed in some way or are starving for more hours.