How do you think UPS will try to harness this technology?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a big difference between operating within defined parameters (dimensions of field) and driving in the real world. This technology would have no application within UPS.

TheKid

monotyou,
I do not know if it would ever happen but I would pay to see my supervisor explaining to the truck that he was .30 paid over. I am assuming the truck would have the same reaction I do.

Tim Eagle

We up-date my wife's Garmin all the time, and it still has a hiccup sometimes. along with solar flares and getting that parcel to the 3rd floor,i don't think it will happen for a while..........

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wasn't talking so much in the brown truck. I went to Syracuse last week. I watched myself going down 81 on Google.
There are live traffic alerts. The feeder run- no offense intended to any feeder drivers- to my center from the hub, I could do blindfolded. No offense intended to shifters but, would it work there? I think skype could be used to eliminate a lot of managers, too. Just thought it was an interesting article. Farmers won't need any more Mexicans soon.

barnyard

KTM rider
My brother-in-law uses that technology on his farm. It works great as long as you are driving in a straight line or following a contour. It does not work at all for turning around.

Any technology that UPS uses now and in the future, will have to be justified to share holders as providing substantial cost savings. Has EDD/PAS provided the savings that UPS promised to investors???

barnyard

KTM rider
PAS/EDD is a joke. It's a system designed for terminating employees. Period.

It was also hellishly expensive to implement and management told investors that it would save billions and it would only take a couple of years to roll out.

It took far longer to roll out than projected (there are still centers that do not have it) and the 'savings' have not been anywhere near the projections.

barnyard

KTM rider
There other other examples of UPS NOT using technology because it did not work in their favor. 3 years ago, a few centers in my area were time-studied using GPS tracking. Every study found in favor of the driver (in many cases, routes recieved more than 10% better allowance). When the time studies started, we were told that the entire state would be redone. Unfortunately for us, as soon as it was determined that the drivers would be required to do less, the time studies were cancelled.

Production standards have been increased twice in the past several years. During that same time, cars with power steering were crushed and replaced with cars without. Routes in p1000 now go out in p800s (no power steering.) Modern production standards using 30 year old trucks.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
PAS/EDD is a joke. It's a system designed for terminating employees. Period.

How true. When it was being implemented in our building, I overheard the Division Manager on a conference call explaining how it was primarily a tool for manpower reduction.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How true. When it was being implemented in our building, I overheard the Division Manager on a conference call explaining how it was primarily a tool for manpower reduction.
It was.

In our hub, when PAS was implemented in 2004, the preload "pulls" went from 700-800 on three cars, to 1200 on four or five cars.

The work nearly doubled but the amount of time to do the work was the same.

The system failed - no one could handle that amount of volume in a part-time job- the workload was, and is back to 700-800. lol

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
PAS/EDD has failed for 3 reasons:

1- The people who wrote the new loop detail often had no knowledge of the area they were writing. They completely failed to factor in issues such as natural boundaries, traffic patterns, residential vs. commercial stops, different road types, and the suitability (or lack thereof) of a particular type of package car for a certain area. What makes perfect sense when viewed via Google Earth from behind a desk does not always work in the real world.

2- PAS/EDD is focused solely on deliveries, and the system treats pickups as an afterthought. The reality is just the opposite. Good business sense requires us to design the entire route around being able to contain and service its pickups within a certain window of time.My deliveries might vary from day to day, but from 2:55 to 4:30 I have 32 pickups, 400 cubic feet of pickup volume, and an air drop with the airport shuttle to deal with.

3-PAS/EDD fails to account for the multitude of other metric-based hoops we are required to jump thru each day. The company wants us to follow trace 85%...it wants all pickups to be completed within 15 min of the scheduled time...it wants us to maintain an impossible SPORH...and in order to meet an impossible Stops Per Car number it will frequently eliminate entire routes right before start time and fling the volume from those routes onto the floor of whatever adjacent car the packages can be forced into in a desperate attempt to get the preloaders off of the clock and the packages out of the building. A loop detail that works perfectly for a 35 car lineup will fail miserably when 2 or 3 of those cars get arbitrarily eliminated at the last minute. PAS/EDD assumes optimum conditions when the reality is usually just the opposite.

Johney

As much as they would like to eliminate the "Driver position" at UPS it will not happen in our lifetime nor our kids lifetime. Believe me if they could put a robot in that seat they'd do it in a second. Could you imagine the cost saving's? PASS/EDD was a great idea and if ever implemented to it's full capacity(run how it should be)it could I believe make this place somewhat bearable to work.But until that's done and we are no longer crossing each other path's in a day then well....
On a side note there was a driver(20 years or close too) fired yesterday for failing to maintain SPORH. Here it comes people be prepared!

brett636

Although I am in feeders I am betting there may come a day when drivers for tractors will not be necessary, but that day is still 2-3 decades away at best. The hazards of driving on a road make a human operator a must as the computer has to be programmed to recongize any and all possible dangers when a human can be trained to do this much easier. Not to mention the equipment itself would have to be redesigned so it can hook up and unhook from trailers and sets or a human would have to ride along to do this for it which would make the entire idea pointless. The challenges of an automated system like this and the possible liability issues with it will make it extremely cost prohibitive for many years to come.

Drivers wont be eliminated until someone invents teleportation to deliver the packages directly to the front door, Minutes after UPS will be eliminated as the shippers will do it all themselves.

I`m surrounded by farms and I can tell you this self guided stuff seems like a great idea until the first person is run over and the resulting lawsuit puts the company out of business.