How does a missorted package end up out for delivery?

hupunothos

Hi all,

I am just a regular old residential customer with a question for you fine folks:

I got an overnight package missorted in Oakland to Petaluma (North) when it should have gone to Monterey (South). In Petaluma it ended up on a delivery truck for that day. It eventually got re-routed back to me a day late but my question is how did it end up on a delivery truck?

At the local outstation, isn't there a sorting process whereby when the package got scanned and there would have been a big ERROR ERROR STOP STOP THIS ADDRESS WILL TAKE YOU 4 HOURS SOTUH HELLO SILLY HUMAN ? At least I assume there is some automation. Aren't routes created based on the packages in the truck?

Just wondering.

T

Turdferguson

The out for delivery scan is automatically created on the due date. Unless the package received a physical scan on it ,to let the system know that package was not where is was supposed to be.
What was in the paclage. Was it weed?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Hi all,

I am just a regular old residential customer with a question for you fine folks:

I got an overnight package missorted in Oakland to Petaluma (North) when it should have gone to Monterey (South). In Petaluma it ended up on a delivery truck for that day. It eventually got re-routed back to me a day late but my question is how did it end up on a delivery truck?

At the local outstation, isn't there a sorting process whereby when the package got scanned and there would have been a big ERROR ERROR STOP STOP THIS ADDRESS WILL TAKE YOU 4 HOURS SOTUH HELLO SILLY HUMAN ? At least I assume there is some automation. Aren't routes created based on the packages in the truck?

Just wondering.
Most likely the zip code was incorrect.

whenIgetthere

Hi all,

Just wondering.

Package is routed by zip code, if incorrect zip code is on package, it will go to the station covering that zip. On a hand written AB, the pick up courier has a chance to correct the zip. If it's power ship, the courier doesn't have that opportunity. Then, in the morning, the station has address corrections (ACO) to packages before the packages even arrive at the station. If the address is close to or identical to an address at that station (i.e. 123 Main Street), it will assign it to the route which covers that address. I had one like that today, had exact same address as one on my route, city matched, but incorrect zip. I attempted to deliver it at that address, only to find out the zip AND city were incorrect. So that package showed out for delivery, even though the shipper made an error. We don't have a master system to show when a shipper screwed up. We have plenty of mis-sorts that are our fault, though. Just putting a package in the wrong can will send it to another city or even state.

CJinx

The wearable ring scanners do go bananas if/when a package handler scans a package that doesn't belong to them... they just have to pay attention to it.

DontThrowPackages

Hi all,

Just wondering.
Sometimes an old box is reused and although the shipper places the label with your address on it, that same box could have an old label on the bottom side of the box. If that box travels upside down, it goes to that old address. Not sure of your situation but you never now.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
No I didn't but now I'm really impress
It would have been more impressive
If those 80k were all for you and not 70k for you and 10k for the thugs you called union reps but that's just me.
that's what Fredward and his minions would have us all to believe, but alas, jus tain't so.