how does on call work at ups

I'm kind of confused about this, I did my 30 days made book, so I am now considered full time right? I still have to call in and see if they need me to drive everyday. What is the difference between a cover driver and a swing driver?

Get a side job (landscaping?) that gives you the flexibility to work here when needed.
I understand what you are saying and I may have to do that. Isn't a causal driver considered seasonal? I made it through my probation period of 30 days and was hired full time. I figured as a full time employee I would be working 40 hours a week min. I'm just trying to fully understand how this works.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I understand what you are saying and I may have to do that. Isn't a causal driver considered seasonal? I made it through my probation period of 30 days and was hired full time. I figured as a full time employee I would be working 40 hours a week min. I'm just trying to fully understand how this works.

Depends on your supplement. Some have language for cover drivers. Some don't.

The ones that don't, just have FT package drivers on the bottom of the seniority list that frequently get laid off.

Being on-call is being laid off for lack of work. You are given the opportunity to call everyday to see if there is work available for you.

It may be that way for awhile until you move up the seniority list a little.

In some supplements, a cover position is a bid job. If it comes time for lay-offs, a cover driver may not necessarily be the bottom man and may not be laid off.

For instance, the Upstate NY supplement has 10% of their bid routes designated as cover routes.

You could be a bid cover driver and not be the lowest in seniority. You may not have wanted to bid on a ball breaker city route.

While Upstate said that their cover drivers are guaranteed 5 days a week, I did not see him point to any contractual language specifying that. UPS can always lay-off from the bottom up if there is not enough work for everyone.

For now, it is just here say.

PT Car Washer

Understood, I appreciate your help! Did you guys have second jobs for a while or were you lucky enough to get right in and work all the time
My building hired a ton of new drivers last year. After January most were laid off and working two sorts inside at a reduced hourly rate. Six months later almost all are driving at least 3 or 4 days a week if not 5. Going to be a lot of Feeder and package car drivers retiring in the next 5 years and you will be working more hours the you ever wanted to.

TG43

knighthawk,

Imo, it's difficult to have a 2nd job as a cover driver because you never know where your working or how late. If you have a side job you own of course it's no problem.
I often run a route, but sometimes will run air to the airport or run a ground shuttle. If I run the ground shuttle, I clock out about 10:30pm. (Point with that is an evening/night job is difficult also).

Most that have a 2nd job work inside. On the Pre-load or metro. Here pre-load is around 5:00am-9am, metro shift is 5:45-9?. Much easier to have a 2nd job working those hours. 3 people here have recently moved from pre-load to cover driver. They will make regular within a couple years probably. Not good for covers with less seniority than them, like myself.

Kind of a choice between sporadic hours at good pay or steady work at crappy pay.

upschuck

Understood, I appreciate your help! Did you guys have second jobs for a while or were you lucky enough to get right in and work all the time
Not me, got lucky and had pretty steady work through my first year, know a lot of people don't have that luxury.

If you do get another job, make sure it does not violate any DOT rules.

Drink Craft Beer

Im guessing I'm on call Yesterday was suppose to be my first day I called and they didn't need me. Am I always gonna have to call to see if I work ?and why do I have to don't they have to call me ??
So you went to straight to the internet and so happened to stumble across this site, signed up, to ask questions??

troll thread is troll thread

NewJack

Man I'm going thru the same thing. Got a fresh haircut, pressed my uniform, shined my shoes. Was like yeah I'm ready. Drove to the Hub as I was getting out of my car I got a text saying "No work today"...WHAT! I was told by other drivers to just be patient. I'm glad they have this forum to see that I'm not the only one going thru this.

TG43

Man I'm going thru the same thing. Got a fresh haircut, pressed my uniform, shined my shoes. Was like yeah I'm ready. Drove to the Hub as I was getting out of my car I got a text saying "No work today"...WHAT! I was told by other drivers to just be patient. I'm glad they have this forum to see that I'm not the only one going thru this.

The job posting they put on ups.com is very misleading. The job title says "package delivery driver". New hires get the impression they are going to be driving full time. Instead they work inside for half the hours and half the pay that they expected.