How does one become a 'pick-off person(?)' on a belt

NY11725

If your sup likes the way you pick off then ask him if you can pick off or just ask one of the picks if they feel like loading today they should say yes I'm a good pick and when they don't feel like doing so we swap

I doubt the pick off is going to agree to load while he can hang out up top, and do what he does....atleast on my belt..i know for a fact my supervisor wouldnt just let anyone else pick off besides me and the other guy unless maybe one of us took the day off. It's just too heavy to let anyone pick off...especially if they only been up once...The best way to obtain the position is to stay a loader, and just let them know you want to be backup...take the sort test if they allow you..get the dollar..and if any of the pick off's are ansent..you will get to go up...

thebrownbox

haha I used to be a pickoff when I first started.. I had to pull for two doors while trying to find the numbers of them going up a speeding belt.. not easy and very boring IMHO... I was pretty much standing the whole time.

NY11725

haha I used to be a pickoff when I first started.. I had to pull for two doors while trying to find the numbers of them going up a speeding belt.. not easy and very boring IMHO... I was pretty much standing the whole time.

I pull for 6 doors :(

yea your pretty much on ur feet the whole time

NY11725

They did not run pickoff last year and the way it's looking this year I doubt they will run it this year as well.

What do you mean did not run pick off? They didnt run pick off on any belt? that doesnt make sense...who is sorting...?

In my building, one out of the 4 belts is slow...so wednesday thurday and friday they dont run it...well they do run it ..but only one trailer is taking flow...so it just rides to the end..no pick off...but im sure when peak season kicks in they r guna run it all week like last year..

thebrownbox

It seems like you and my definition of pickoff might not be the same..

year before last one belt near the unloading doors was used a pickoff.. I pulled things off the belt for 2 24 footers. Which consisted of finding the two numbers on the fast moving belt and pushing them so they would go down the slide and a guy would load them.

I don't know if you know but the belts in primary move much faster then the belts for loading the trucks.

NY11725

It seems like you and my definition of pickoff might not be the same..

year before last one belt near the unloading doors was used a pickoff.. I pulled things off the belt for 2 24 footers. Which consisted of finding the two numbers on the fast moving belt and pushing them so they would go down the slide and a guy would load them.

I don't know if you know but the belts in primary move much faster then the belts for loading the trucks.

Oh,that sounds really different from pick off in my building. We have unload that connects to sort isle, and the sort isle sorts on 4 different belts... 3 out of 4 of those belts have a pick off...1 having 2 people which is my belt. Bascially the sort isle is putting 4 destinations on my belt, and when it comes to me and my buddy ( pick off ) we sort them down chutes to the correct trailers... I think there is a different name for the position your doing