How does one become a Steward?

HubBub

Rather than a blanket criticism why don't you go point by point and tell me where my errors are.

Not saying you're in error, just that it was a quality troll comment. Sure to rankle the feathers of diehard "us vs them" Teamsters and invoke an emotional response. That's all.

stink219

Excellent list; however, I would like to add these tips:

1. Not all grievances are valid.

2. The member is not always right.

3. It is not wrong to say "no" when a member makes an unreasonable request.
These are true however they are noticeable by a good steward. And the steward should explain why.

4. There is nothing wrong with working with management toward a solution that benefits everyone involved.
This one is situational and depends on the manager. I think as a steward you need the whole story before you decide your course of action. I've dealt with managers that do not work with the employees toward a solution. They just hand discipline like its halloween candy. I do not play nice with this kind of manager and treat them the same towards the grievance process. I've also dealt with other managers that are fair and not quick to discipline first. I work with this type person to find a solution first. Every situation is different. Every violation is different.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not saying you're in error, just that it was a quality troll comment. Sure to rankle the feathers of diehard "us vs them" Teamsters and invoke an emotional response. That's all.

Actually I thought it was a well-thought out post. Interactions between hourlies and management do not always have to be confrontational. There are grievances filed that are a waste of a paper. The hourly is not always right much the same as management is not always right. A good steward should have the ability to not only advise an hourly who has a legitimate beef but to also tell an hourly who is whining for no reason to shut his pie hole and go back to work.

HubBub

Actually I thought it was a well-thought out post. Interactions between hourlies and management do not always have to be confrontational. There are grievances filed that are a waste of a paper. The hourly is not always right much the same as management is not always right. A good steward should have the ability to not only advise an hourly who has a legitimate beef but to also tell an hourly who is whining for no reason to shut his pie hole and go back to work.

Ha, I get it my friend. I've become something of a "pre-steward" in my building, explaining to my co-workers when they do something that they would get them fired in a non-union shop, and they want to grieve when a sup simply says something to them about it. No need to be offended, my typey fingers are working faster than my brain right now (friday night/sat. morning).

HubBub

Ha, I get it my friend. I've become something of a "pre-steward" in my building, explaining to my co-workers when they do something that they would get them fired in a non-union shop, and they want to grieve when a sup simply says something to them about it. No need to be offended, my typey fingers are working faster than my brain right now (friday night/sat. morning).

Also that was my hundredth post. Quite the milestone!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
SORRY troll. We couldn't let you become a steward because all stewards are told the location of where Hoffa is buried and we can't trust you with that info.

over9five

Staff member
Allow me to suggest the use of a slide projector. Stronger points couldn't be made without. I see much potential in your future, padawan. Keep fighting the good fight.
38775529.jpg