How does one become an auto mechanic?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
How does UPS hire them, is it the same 6:1 ratio. I'm planning to go to a trade school right after I get my associate next yr. What's the hours, I know that they make more than drivers, and you don't end up looking like Herbert on the family guy when you retire. Are they in our union?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How does UPS hire them, is it the same 6:1 ratio. I'm planning to go to a trade school right after I get my associate next yr. What's the hours, I know that they make more than drivers, and you don't end up looking like Herbert on the family guy when you retire. Are they in our union?
They are in a different union...

upschuck

When a bid goes up for mechanic in my building, it usually says 5 yrs req experience. That happens rarely. They are in the same union, get little overtime unless someone is on vacation most of the year. Not sure about pay, but think it is a little more than PC dr. The 6 to 1 thing is normally a moot point since most inside people does not have the experience, so most are hired from the outside.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Different union, bout the same rate of pay as full rate driver, and you just may look like Herbert. Spinning wrenches for a lifetime is just as hard on a body as slinging cardboard.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If u knew you could be a ups mechanic ok but likely you'd end up in a dealership making peanuts.

If trade school it is I would highly recommend heavy machinery operators union.

UPSGUY72

The mechanics in my Area make about the same as FT drivers do.... Some work in the day and some work at night....

Good luck but going to school isn't going to get you the job. Your going to need actual real world mechanic work history. That would include working on both Diesels and Gas vehicles and both manual and automatic transmissions....

There is no 6 to 1 hire ratio 99% come from the outside of UPS see above about knowledge needed.....

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our mechanics are part of the same local. Pay is about the same as a FT driver but limited OT. If you are already an employee at UPS when getting one of these jobs you essentially have to quit and be rehired and you lose all of your seniority. Starting all over at the bottom would suck for a guy like me, but for a kid like you wouldn't be that big of a deal. Also, without seniority, the hours suck.

And BTW, this may be the most intelligent post you have ever had on BC. Congrats.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I get less per hour than the drivers, maintain a CDL and get virtually no overtime except during peak. We are not in the same union here. Wish we were.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If u knew you could be a ups mechanic ok but likely you'd end up in a dealership making peanuts.

If trade school it is I would highly recommend heavy machinery operators union.

Well, since I have a high chance to be a driver in the next 2-3 yrs (not trying to sound arrogant, but they hired 4 drivers last year and are hiring 2 more now), I might just forget about it and end up having to put my degree and trade to no use. Sometimes you gotta gamble in life

BrownChoice

Well, since I have a high chance to be a driver in the next 2-3 yrs (not trying to sound arrogant, but they hired 4 drivers last year and are hiring 2 more now), I might just forget about it and end up having to put my degree and trade to no use. Sometimes you gotta gamble in life

Doesnt hurt to have a lil mechanic experience... Ive saved thousands of dollars on repairs between me and my girlfriends cars.

Youve gotta put things you know to good use; knowledge is power. If it were me Id try for the mechanic, while trying to hold your pt gig in the meantime.
Might take awhile though!

Last edited:

BrownChoice

Agree. My mechanic in my building has his own shop. He said he fixes everything he has.

I wonder if UPS would allow a mechanic to work on his own vehicles in ups's shop. Wait, I forgot for a moment who we work for.....

At my Dads work, their mechanic fixes whomevers vehicle need it when slow, at mechanics discretion.