How does scratch work?

Indecisi0n

Just had that the other day. Waited in line to get back into shop while other drivers were parking. Seems like the worse setup possible to get everyone in the building.

If you get hurt while sorting your truck before the designated start time (the one in the board) you can and possibly will be fired for dishonesty, falsifying company documents or any other number of reasons they can dream up.
And then that's where I come in and tell you how stupid you are and I told you so. I know you have never had any use for the union but now you do. Hows that working out for you?

UPSGUY72

Don't worry about running scratch. The number they come up with these days are totally unrealistic. There are routes in my building that guys are running "scratch" working over 11 hours.

The only thing you need to do is worry about getting home each day without getting hurt or hurting someone else.

Don't sort your truck untill your official start time. I get my air off then pull over and sort my next 30 stops than do them and pull over and sort again.

Last edited:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The only thing you need to do is worry about getting home each day without getting hurt or hurting someone else.

When I first started driving, I was talking to a driver with 4 or 5 years under his belt. I told him how a sup was giving me a hard time over my overallowed and he told me something that I keep in the back of my mind "just work accident and injury free". None of my sup's will EVER say anything to me about my numbers because they all know that A.) The routes in our center don't come ANYWHERE near to planning so the numbers are WAAAY jacked up. B.) They all know that I don't care about my numbers. Only number I care at all about is how many hours I got paid.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ohhhhh. So my pay time doesn't start from when I punch in but by what my group start time is. I get it now. Thanks.

Correct.

You can change your start time in the DIAD if you need to start early for whatever reason. If your car truly is a mess and your supervisor has any ethics at all, he wont give you a hard time about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just out of curiosity. Where would you change your start time ?

Thanks guys for all the info.

When you grab your DIAD out of the rack this morning look at the display. It should have your name, employee ID number, pay code, route number and start time. We have to manually change ours in my center as we start at 9 on Mondays, which is the time in our DIADs, but don't start until 9:15 the rest of the week so we manually change our start times to 9:15 T-friend. Be very careful about taking advice from this forum and applying it to your job. We are not allowed to change our start times (other than stated above) without mgt approval. In other words, just because your PC is trashed and you want to start early to clean it up don't think that you can do so on your own or you may be back to loading packages rather than delivering them. You must always get mgt approval to change the start time in your DIAD.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Don't change your start time without manager approval and good luck getting it.

I follow the same as UPSGUY72 which is, run the air then sort, run till you need to sort again.

Scratch goes from time u leave building till time u return to building minus breaks and at building time. It sucks being stuck waiting for an open air dock and waiting to park truck but it is reality unlike what IT says.

They may press u on hitting scratch. Work safe first, route and area knowledge will help u improve your time but don't expect to hit scratch on many routes.

I know that in your 1st 30 u have to hit scratch to qualify. Is this what u are worried about???

How do u beat scratch? Use Head and shoulders and Lamisil spray, LoL.

If u are already qualified then just put in a safe and productive day making sure u have breaks cause hitting scratch on some routes will only break u, Gotta love logisitics!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
.... Be very careful about taking advice from this forum and applying it to your job. We are not allowed to change our start times (other than stated above) without mgt approval. In other words, just because your PC is trashed and you want to start early to clean it up don't think that you can do so on your own or you may be back to loading packages rather than delivering them. You must always get mgt approval to change the start time in your DIAD.

I have never been told that I couldnt change my start time; therefore, if necessary, I go ahead and do it when it is in the best interests of the customers and the company for me to do so. I cannot count the number of service failures and late air that I have prevented by taking an extra 5 minutes in the morning to perform "damage control". Also, my building has staggered start times for various drivers in order to miimize traffic jams, so in many cases if I am parked outside on an MDU and my loader is wrapped up I will simply change my start time and catch an "earlier" PCM so that I can get out on the road earlier. I guess different management groups have different attitudes about this sort of thing. Around here, if your AM time is within acceptable limits they really dont care if you start early or not. The bottom line is that if you are working you should be on the clock, and if you are on the clock you had damn well better be working.

I have never been told that I couldnt change my start time; therefore, if necessary, I go ahead and do it when it is in the best interests of the customers and the company for me to do so. I cannot count the number of service failures and late air that I have prevented by taking an extra 5 minutes in the morning to perform "damage control". Also, my building has staggered start times for various drivers in order to miimize traffic jams, so in many cases if I am parked outside on an MDU and my loader is wrapped up I will simply change my start time and catch an "earlier" PCM so that I can get out on the road earlier. I guess different management groups have different attitudes about this sort of thing. Around here, if your AM time is within acceptable limits they really dont care if you start early or not. The bottom line is that if you are working you should be on the clock, and if you are on the clock you had damn well better be working.
In the central supplement we can only start earlier on Monday's. This means that management has to plan for their ineptness.

The Driver

I drive.
When you grab your DIAD out of the rack this morning look at the display. It should have your name, employee ID number, pay code, route number and start time. We have to manually change ours in my center as we start at 9 on Mondays, which is the time in our DIADs, but don't start until 9:15 the rest of the week so we manually change our start times to 9:15 T-friend. Be very careful about taking advice from this forum and applying it to your job. We are not allowed to change our start times (other than stated above) without mgt approval. In other words, just because your PC is trashed and you want to start early to clean it up don't think that you can do so on your own or you may be back to loading packages rather than delivering them. You must always get mgt approval to change the start time in your DIAD.

Don't really mean to dig this out of the pile of dead threads, but I do have a question. I have safety meetings in the morning starting at 0835 and run through 0850. My start time is 0900. Would I still get paid for the safety meeting for that fifteen minutes if my start time remained 0900 or should I be changing my start time to 0835 until my safety meeting weeks are finished?

Edit: I should note that I know how to add safety meeting (R) in Other Work in the board.

JL 0513

You aren't given proper allowance on most routes to run scratch unless you work through paid breaks and sort/fix load through part of your lunch. Sucky system.

Some routes may be more generous, but I can haul a** all day and only make scratch for doing the above.

OPTION3

Correct.

You can change your start time in the DIAD if you need to start early for whatever reason. If your car truly is a mess and your supervisor has any ethics at all, he wont give you a hard time about it.
HAHAHAHAHAHA “supervisor” and “ethics" in the same sentence….HAHAHAHAHAHA

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
HAHAHAHAHAHA “supervisor” and “ethics" in the same sentence….HAHAHAHAHAHA
favicons
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix's name and jacket almost made everyone forget Johnny Manziel »