How does your center operate?

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
I'll preface this by saying bc I'm only in a few months (started during Xmas rush) I don't have a true understanding how things are supposed to operate. I have learned a few things... 1) Daily safety bulletins are a sorry excuse to remove liability..... as they'll ignore safety to keep numbers or the belt moving. 2) If you need help and ask for it..... a super will ignore you or have something more pressing to go do. On and on. BUT, my real question is this:

1) On the preload belts, what is the "proper" or "official" way things are supposed to be done and what's the order? (e.g. I read somewhere on here about a splitter position and not what our center does by having the first 2 loaders split and load and the last 2 loaders off loading missed packages to be recycled or sent elsewhere.) Is there really a splitter job position or is the irreg guy/gal expected to split & do irregs?
2) How many trucks is one (new) person able to load? (about how many packages/bulk stops)
3) Does the new guy always get the crappiest bulk stoppiest & the most irregs trucks without being trained other than watching a video?

I'm asking bc our center seems to wait 30-45 minutes into a shift to find someone to "fill in" on 3 trucks after it's a stacked out, mis-loaded mess... and then the supes stand by telling us we need to move faster, not stack out and write in the numbers on the boxes.

I know that's a long multi-part question but I hope you all see what I'm asking. Thanks

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The official way to do things is the way you are told...we work as directed. You should be able to at least load 3-4 but as many as 6 trucks. The official way I was taught? Find PAL sticker. Compare address on PAL to address on main label, obviously they should match. Then peel the pal sticker and place on the side of the box or write the shelf # on the box...however you're told to do it, then load the package onto proper shelf in pal order. Making sure all packages are lip loaded with main address label facing up, out or towards the bulkhead door. Same for the floor packages..main label should always face up or out if possible. No stacking outside the trucks...put the stuff in (minus irregs that don't fit anywhere but down the middle). And what video? There's a video on how to load...never seen it...lol.

Last edited:

HeyNowBrownCow

the way you are told...we work as directed.
I/we work as directed full stop. They don't let us peel we use crayons... well some do, older guys peel.

No stacking outside the trucks...put the stuff in (minus irregs that don't fit anywhere but down the middle).
No stacking out? Even for 12 oversized toilet paper boxes with a 3000 number when there's already 3, 3000's loaded on the shelf? Or for bulk stops to a mall with the same numbers (too many to fit on a shelf?)
Yes, I watched a 10 minute video showing "how to properly load a truck", that's all the "training" I got, then thrown to the wolves during xmas on 3 trucks that were stacked out, mis-loaded and had yesterdays un-delivered pkgs on them too.
You say 3-4 trucks up to 6 but you didn't tell me how many packages per truck nor total. That sounds impressive, are you talking about 3 trucks with 375-450 package per truck? Just trying to get an idea of how many packages it's possible to expect an untrained guy to load and learn.
Heck, it took another loader who I filled in for on a safety meeting to explain the plus sign meant it was for bulk stop to the post office.
No (real) training..... thrown to the wolves on a belt that's the fastest in the building, told to split & load 3 trucks after it's a shyte show of stackouts. Go UPS!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would say a lot of what you ask is center specific and will mean nothing in your individual situation.

This is a much less stressful place to work once you learn to just go at a safe pace and follow their orders. No matter how little sense it makes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I/we work as directed full stop. They don't let us peel we use crayons... well some do, older guys peel.

No stacking out? Even for 12 oversized toilet paper boxes with a 3000 number when there's already 3, 3000's loaded on the shelf? Or for bulk stops to a mall with the same numbers (too many to fit on a shelf?)
Yes, I watched a 10 minute video showing "how to properly load a truck", that's all the "training" I got, then thrown to the wolves during xmas on 3 trucks that were stacked out, mis-loaded and had yesterdays un-delivered pkgs on them too.
You say 3-4 trucks up to 6 but you didn't tell me how many packages per truck nor total. That sounds impressive, are you talking about 3 trucks with 375-450 package per truck? Just trying to get an idea of how many packages it's possible to expect an untrained guy to load and learn.
Heck, it took another loader who I filled in for on a safety meeting to explain the plus sign meant it was for bulk stop to the post office.
No (real) training..... thrown to the wolves on a belt that's the fastest in the building, told to split & load 3 trucks after it's a shyte show of stackouts. Go UPS!
So what? Welcome to ups....what is your question? Truck volume can depend largely on the day....somedays could be 275....somedays could be up to 400. Oversized toiler paper boxes should go on the floor, not the shelf...save shelf room for smaller packages. Stop worrying about how many packages you should be expected to load and load the trucks you are told to load....neatly and in pal order. End of story.

Pooter

Just depends on center. My center it averages to 3 trucks and about 750-1k per person in a 4.5 hour shift.

We have designated loaders to trucks so newbies tend to get thrown in where there is a open slot usually due to a senior loader calling off. So it's normal for you to clean up trucks that have been dumped.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'll preface this by saying bc I'm only in a few months (started during Xmas rush) I don't have a true understanding how things are supposed to operate. I have learned a few things... 1) Daily safety bulletins are a sorry excuse to remove liability..... as they'll ignore safety to keep numbers or the belt moving. 2) If you need help and ask for it..... a super will ignore you or have something more pressing to go do. On and on. BUT, my real question is this:

1) On the preload belts, what is the "proper" or "official" way things are supposed to be done and what's the order? (e.g. I read somewhere on here about a splitter position and not what our center does by having the first 2 loaders split and load and the last 2 loaders off loading missed packages to be recycled or sent elsewhere.) Is there really a splitter job position or is the irreg guy/gal expected to split & do irregs?
2) How many trucks is one (new) person able to load? (about how many packages/bulk stops)
3) Does the new guy always get the crappiest bulk stoppiest & the most irregs trucks without being trained other than watching a video?

I'm asking bc our center seems to wait 30-45 minutes into a shift to find someone to "fill in" on 3 trucks after it's a stacked out, mis-loaded mess... and then the supes stand by telling us we need to move faster, not stack out and write in the numbers on the boxes.

I know that's a long multi-part question but I hope you all see what I'm asking. Thanks
Just depends on center. My center it averages to 3 trucks and about 750-1k per person in a 4.5 hour shift.

We have designated loaders to trucks so newbies tend to get thrown in where there is a open slot usually due to a senior loader calling off. So it's normal for you to clean up trucks that have been dumped.

They're so cute until they grow up.

HeyNowBrownCow

Maybe I should ask this way:
1) How many packages per hour avg. can/does an experienced loader load between 3 PCars?
(asked bc I think it's unreasonable and sometimes dangerous to have a nube running wild loading on high volume trucks...... say 1500 pkgs in a 4 hr shift.)
2) Is it common to not have a designated splitter to split the belts?
3) Wouldn't it be more efficient to move an experienced loader to a higher volume car and train a newbie on lighter loads or less trucks?
Maybe this a seniority / friends with the supe / "screw you jack, that's what they did to me" right of passage?
4) Why wait 30-45 minutes to get someone on trucks when call outs are supposed to happen an hour before shift?

Pooter, so your centers loaders are slinging about 160-222/pph?
Anyone else care to share real numbers?
...... or will this thread become an outlet for passive aggressively condescending a diligent hard worker seeking guidance?
Thanks, Cosmo..... I am cute and I'm also grown up enough to seek solutions so I can better my numbers. Cosmo1, it's not a fishing trip.... so stop trolling brother (or sister).

HeyNowBrownCow

Oversized toiler paper boxes should go on the floor, not the shelf...save shelf room for smaller packages. Stop worrying about how many packages you should be expected to load and load the trucks you are told to load....neatly and in pal order. End of story.

Bleeding Brown, you sound like either a supervisor or an extremely experienced guy who doesn't care enough about teamwork to help train/guide the newbies. Let me guess, you're the guy who doesn't speak to nubes and brushes them off like they're dirt.... tossing their misses at them like they're a-holes.... when you know the guy is sweating bullets on the worst trucks on the line, while you load your regular light loads?

It's difficult to remain non-defensive/non-aggressive on here when some reply like jerks.

Is it bc people are lonely, have no life/family and are filling the void with their stellar whit/sarcasm and passive aggression??????

PT Car Washer

Our preloaders are taught to just look at the PAL label. Never look at the address label. That would take too much time. I wonder if that has anything to do with all the misloads everyday.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bleeding Brown, you sound like either a supervisor or an extremely experienced guy who doesn't care enough about teamwork to help train/guide the newbies. Let me guess, you're the guy who doesn't speak to nubes and brushes them off like they're dirt.... tossing their misses at them like they're a-holes.... when you know the guy is sweating bullets on the worst trucks on the line, while you load your regular light loads?

It's difficult to remain non-defensive/non-aggressive on here when some reply like jerks.

Is it bc people are lonely, have no life/family and are filling the void with their stellar whit/sarcasm and passive aggression??????
I am not a guy, but I am a loader...been one for 7 years. It is not part of my job description to help train the new hires. But I often do as it is usually vital for safety reasons. Both of my above posts contained valuable loading information, perhaps you should go back and reread. I'm sorry, you've worked here 5 min...please tell me more about how hard YOUR job is, and how light my trucks are?

You are overthinking your job. Learn how to perform your loading job correctly and accurately...then maybe concern yourself with how to make it more efficient! They're the boss, you're the horse....work as directed.

I don't think new hires are dirt....they are dangerous! I had a new hire who almost broke my wrist a few years back, by being eager, not paying attention and not trained on proper conveyor belt securing.

Last edited:

HeyNowBrownCow

look at the PAL label. Never look at the address label.
We are too..... "nobody ain't got time for that" (looking at addresses vs PALs).

I personally think most misloads are happening bc with 650-700+ pkgs per truck x 3 trucks and pkgs coming down in mass groups rather than a steady stream, a guy grabs 4 boxes- 3 for truck 56 and 1 for 57 and loads 2 and 2.

I've had less mis-loads than guys 4 years loading...... by sometimes a 1:5 ratio. Our center is (as I've been told by senior guys) way over capacity. That may be why too??

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Eventually you'll not care at ups. Just the way it is.

I'm really not trying to be an ass but you're asking a lot of questions that frankly most upsers could give two :censored2:s about.

Just trying to explain why you're getting very few replies.

PT Car Washer

Brown Cow don't be too hard on BB 58. She knows what she's talking about. Lots of guys start out all gung ho but quit after a couple months. Most often for the same situations you have described. Doesn't get any better.

HeyNowBrownCow

May be I missed your edited post up there Bleeding. Original post at 5:09, edited at 5:20. That post finally contained some already learned info after your edited it heavily.

Not your job to train? You're right, great way to be a team player..... and a sarcastic twit. (been here 5 minutes).You're treating newbies on this forum just like you treat them on the belt..... like they're a-holes that don't deserve your wealth and breadth of experience.

"stop worrying how many pkgs.... and do as you're told." I'm asking bc I don't think it's possible to load 1500-2000 pkgs in 4 hours. I'm not worrying...... I'm asking if it's possible.

Please stop replying.... or at least share how many pph avg or max you're loading.... so I can maybe someday aspire to your greatness.

HeyNowBrownCow

OK, thanks gang. So really.... it comes down to that glazed look in the eyes... not caring or quitting.

Wow, that's depressing and neither is in my DNA. I've lost the gung-ho attitude but to be treated like an as$/ 2nd grader when asked to perform miracles on trucks where guys walked off 30 minutes earlier is just stupid.

PT, while I appreciate you asking me to not be hard on BB58...... she's the one who started being condescending and editing her posts to appear more helpful. Her posts lead me to believe she is just like some of the old hat zombies on the belt that treat nubes like dirt and have a bad attitude all night/ not helping out because "It's not my job..... I've got seniority.... go grab the new guy".

Brownslave..... thanks... you're not being an as$ or jerk.... that's an honest answer and unfortunately the truth. It's also why unions get a bad rep.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
May be I missed your edited post up there Bleeding. Original post at 5:09, edited at 5:20. That post finally contained some already learned info after your edited it heavily.

Not your job to train? You're right, great way to be a team player..... and a sarcastic twit. (been here 5 minutes).You're treating newbies on this forum just like you treat them on the belt..... like they're a-holes that don't deserve your wealth and breadth of experience.

"stop worrying how many pkgs.... and do as you're told." I'm asking bc I don't think it's possible to load 1500-2000 pkgs in 4 hours. I'm not worrying...... I'm asking if it's possible.

Please stop replying.... or at least share how many pph avg or max you're loading.... so I can maybe someday aspire to your greatness.
i loaded 6 trucks on friday...average 1700-1800. Yes it is quite possible. No, absolutely not in my job description to train anyone....i load trucks, this isn't baseball and I'm not on a team. Sups are paid to "train". I'm a sarcastic twit? And you sir, are a whiny lil ****, who doesn't believe your job is possible to do because you can't seem to hack it...lol.