How does your center operate?

Pooter

1500 to 2000 in 4 hours is insane. Are you comparing loading Package cars and feeder trailers??

Maybe things are different in your center but in mine it's usually 1200 with 4 trucks in a really heavy day. Average 750 - 1k. 220pph is a good rate in preload.

upschuck

2000 packages in a 4 hr shift is a little over 8/minute. You can't do that at my center unless you don't follow safety methods.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
1500 to 2000 in 4 hours is insane. Are you comparing loading Package cars and feeder trailers??

Maybe things are different in your center but in mine it's usually 1200 with 4 trucks in a really heavy day. Average 750 - 1k. 220pph is a good rate in preload.
I've never been inside a trailer since i started at ups....only load PC's. Minimum PPH is 285...according to management...lol. The only numbers I know or care about are in my paycheck and my bulk stops for the day.

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
Dr. Brown..... yes, I'm being a :censored2: bc she edited her post to include "valuable info" after I commented on her being a jerk. Being a jerk, THEN offering real advice is just rude.

Thank you BB58..... after being sarcastic for 3-4 posts and me poking the bear.... I got a real answer to one of my questions.
I'm not / don't whine.... I get the job done. Def, not as fast as experienced loaders but my loads are clean, in order and with minimal mis-loads.
Yes, there are days I don't think I can hack what they're throwing at me.... but admit it, you all have had those days in the beginning (which I admitted in the OP) and which is why I'm on here asking what seems to experienced loaders "dumb questions".

Thanks for making one feel welcome to the forum.... and to UPS.

HeyNowBrownCow

Thanks, upschuck! That's some helpful info!!!

Maybe I'm asking/framing my questions incorrectly?

I apologize to BB58 and others for getting rude and snippy... maybe even a bit whiny. ;-)
BB.... wondering why you care about your bulk numbers? Do you put them under the belt in a bin and save em for last?? Are we talking bulk mall stops with shoes and boots or small sort pkgs? Maybe that's why Upschuck suggests your numbers are high???

I'm just looking to see what safe load numbers are.... and if our center IS really over capacity and the supes are driving us to get their (unrealistic) numbers up to even further (unrealistic) heights.

We've got crazy turnover in our center and the ones that stay are getting thrown to the wolves bc we are gung-ho and other more experienced folks don't believe we're in the same boat (together).

Pooter

BCow: Dont worry about Numbers. Just load at a safe steady pace. Keep your misloads down and chip away. You are new and will be stuck doing crappy loads. It's just part of climbing the ladder. don't get discourage. Collect check and forget about UPS on the weekend :)

Bulk numbers help plan your load. If a stop in 5k section is getting blown up then you can "plan" by dropping it on the floor. Thus giving you space on shelf for smaller stops.

wayfair

swollen member
Dr. Brown..... yes, I'm being a dck bc she edited her post to include "valuable info" after I commented on her being a jerk. Being a jerk, THEN offering real advice is just rude.

her 1st 2 posts were not edited and had sound advice...

she told you she was a loader not a trainer, that's what mgmt is for.... others have their own bed to make to be worried about your responsibilities... one thing you should learn, unless you're some troll that has nothing to do, is leave it at the building

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thanks, upschuck! That's some helpful info!!!

Maybe I'm asking/framing my questions incorrectly?

I apologize to BB58 and others for getting rude and snippy... maybe even a bit whiny. ;-)
BB.... wondering why you care about your bulk numbers? Do you put them under the belt in a bin and save em for last?? Are we talking bulk mall stops with shoes and boots or small sort pkgs? Maybe that's why Upschuck suggests your numbers are high???

I'm just looking to see what safe load numbers are.... and if our center IS really over capacity and the supes are driving us to get their (unrealistic) numbers up to even further (unrealistic) heights.

We've got crazy turnover in our center and the ones that stay are getting thrown to the wolves bc we are gung-ho and other more experienced folks don't believe we're in the same boat (together).
Bulk stop....lots of packages going to a particular place. Say kmart. If i know 85 pieces are coming...i will keep the cargo area clear to accommodate. If 5 pieces are coming, i don't worry about it.

HeyNowBrownCow

Last edited: Today at 5:20 PM
bleedinbrown58, Today at 5:09 PM Report
#2 Rep

Yes, it WAS edited.... look again..... and how can one be a troll on their own post???
Oy.... seriously.... I was so psyched when I found this site (hopeful that people would share constructively) but I guess this place is no different than work.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Last edited: Today at 5:20 PM
bleedinbrown58, Today at 5:09 PM Report
#2 Rep

Yes, it WAS edited.... look again..... and how can one be a troll on their own post???
Oy.... seriously.... I was so psyched when I found this site (hopeful that people would share constructively) but I guess this place is no different than work.
Yes i edited it....i'm allowed to edit my own posts. But i offered you sound advice in my first post, which you responded to in your subsequent post. Good lord, thank you for not working on my belt, I couldn't take your whining for more than 10 minutes!

HeyNowBrownCow

I know what bulks stops means.... but why care about the numbers. Is there some way to tell if you'll be getting a huge playset or 35 pcs of jewelry for your bulk?

I read my load sheets (or try to IF I'm on belt at start).... so I have an idea of the bulk numbers.... but sometimes it's a hospital that gets huge paper supplies and a bunch of small sort pkgs. I load/ tip the shelf with the small stuff.... but when 4-5 huge paper towel boxes come at once... while there's 2-3 boxes from my other trucks coming, it seems crazy.

Again BB58...... I apologize..... and truly appreciate the constructive dialog and info you are sharing now!!!!

Re: working your belt...... AMEN to that!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
her 1st 2 posts were not edited and had sound advice...

she told you she was a loader not a trainer, that's what mgmt is for.... others have their own bed to make to be worried about your responsibilities... one thing you should learn, unless you're some troll that has nothing to do, is leave it at the building
Thank you, sir :)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i loaded 6 trucks on friday...average 1700-1800. Yes it is quite possible. No, absolutely not in my job description to train anyone....i load trucks, this isn't baseball and I'm not on a team. Sups are paid to "train". I'm a sarcastic twit? And you sir, are a whiny lil ****, who doesn't believe your job is possible to do because you can't seem to hack it...lol.
Team player sounds just like management.

_Mayday_

Yes Really
1) On the preload belts, what is the "proper" or "official" way things are supposed to be done and what's the order? (e.g. I read somewhere on here about a splitter position and not what our center does by having the first 2 loaders split and load and the last 2 loaders off loading missed packages to be recycled or sent elsewhere.) Is there really a splitter job position or is the irreg guy/gal expected to split & do irregs?
2) How many trucks is one (new) person able to load? (about how many packages/bulk stops)
3) Does the new guy always get the crappiest bulk stoppiest & the most irregs trucks without being trained other than watching a video?

Preface, I can only speak to how things are done in my building and our company is huge so obviously this will vary greatly.
1) The irreg driver should be putting the irreg up on the belt when he brings them around and calling out the bin/load name so the loader knows something big/heavy is coming and can be ready to pull it off.
1A) If the flow is such or the route is such that the irreg needs to be left stacked at the font of the belt to go up later/end of the night maybe tires going RDC then yes the splitter on that side of the belt would be responsible for putting those irregs on the belt, the splitter across from him would maintain the split while the splitter is moving irregs up. At the end of the night 7:30-8:30 the flow most times is lighter and slowing down as the unload is winding down. This is not unreasonable.

2) How much anyone can handle varies. Typically new hires start on a 3 car set. 4-5 car sets are usually found at the back of the belt. Something key to remember is the number of cars does not necessarily mean more pieces. We have plenty of 3 and 4 car sets that both average 900-1000 pieces the differences being those 4 car sets might be heavier with bulk/business stops and the 3 cars sets being heavier with residential(also read more likely to get addcuts.) So maybe on a 4 car set you handle 100 more pieces and it feels like so much more because they are bulky but the guy in front of you has smaller cars to cram a 20 piece apartment stop with 1 HIN and if he gives a :censored2: and has time maybe he'll even fine sort the apartment numbers for the driver if he likes him but I'm getting off topic. The point is the grass seems greener on another set, it probably isn't.

3) Does the new guy get the crappiest set? Maybe, this is really going to depend on your building and sups. Do I want to put a new hire that struggles on a difficult set only to have to deal with cleaning it up later? No. Some new hires are incredibly capable like they were born to load cars, guys like that sure I'll put them on a crappy set if I know they will hold it down.

Long shot but you can ask your ft sup (because your pt sup probably won't know what you are talking about) to see the belt utilization. It will either shed some light on whether you are being over worked, or your sup responsible for setting the line up could realize that the sets on your belt are not set up efficiently.

blkmamba

There is no such thing as a team at UPS, once you realize that you will better I understand the culture at ups. Just go in do your job, make mistakes and learn from them. Outside of that it's just another way to earn a paycheck .

HeyNowBrownCow

WOW...... Thank you Mayday! Now that's a well thought out and thoughtfully crafted answer! Not a hint of sarcasm and some solid advice. Truly appreciated after the newbie bashing I've been taking.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I/we work as directed full stop. They don't let us peel we use crayons... well some do, older guys peel.

No stacking out? Even for 12 oversized toilet paper boxes with a 3000 number when there's already 3, 3000's loaded on the shelf? Or for bulk stops to a mall with the same numbers (too many to fit on a shelf?)
Yes, I watched a 10 minute video showing "how to properly load a truck", that's all the "training" I got, then thrown to the wolves during xmas on 3 trucks that were stacked out, mis-loaded and had yesterdays un-delivered pkgs on them too.
You say 3-4 trucks up to 6 but you didn't tell me how many packages per truck nor total. That sounds impressive, are you talking about 3 trucks with 375-450 package per truck? Just trying to get an idea of how many packages it's possible to expect an untrained guy to load and learn.
Heck, it took another loader who I filled in for on a safety meeting to explain the plus sign meant it was for bulk stop to the post office.
No (real) training..... thrown to the wolves on a belt that's the fastest in the building, told to split & load 3 trucks after it's a shyte show of stackouts. Go UPS!
Bulk stops never go on the shelf, always on the floors or stacked out in the end. If you have any questions ask the driver you are loading for. Once again prime example of how the :censored2: idiot supes don't train loaders right with a system that is flawed and doesn't work. If u need tips on how to become a great loader, just ask my homegirl BB58 lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
All depend also on the size of the truck you are loading. This is where either your mammy or pappy taught you good ole commonsense youngblood LMFAO:wink2: