How far in the hierarchy does the incompetence spread?

P

pickup

Naw,the passport dude/dudess,whatever was obviously a polish Canadian that creatied thier own service failure by not being able to speak english.
This dude has been quite eloquent in his posts,and other than the ****off thing ,I've had a good time reading this thead.I particularly liked
your "posting in this forum because I have no life" comment.(What do you think the rest of us are doing here?)This site is for ups employees to vent and has nothing to do with the great heirarchy you hoped to get through to.I hope your package was not from Omaha steaks:)

yeah you're right. I should have seen it myself

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
The way UPS has dealt with the recent bad weather in WA and OR is insulting. No one expects deliveries to proceed at normal pace when there's a snowstorm, but UPS seems to have fallen on their ass and enjoys the show of their own falling apart.

They are now days behind and on top of that they are working at reduced capacity. Not only packages aren't delivered (some residential neighborhoods are still covered in slush, although all main roads in Seattle are fine) but people are told they cannot pick theirs up at the local distribution centers. My package has been stuck in the Seattle UPS center for 5 days now and I keep hearing the same things when I call - due to bad weather (there hasn't been any new bad weather since last Sunday) we stopped all ground deliveries, etc etc. Apparently, because of the "concerns related to the safety of the employees" they don't allow people to come and pick up their parcels either. This doesn't make much sense; people would gladly drive in the snow to the local UPS center and stay in line to pick up their packages, and UPS can easily beef up support at those facilities by paying overtime rates to a handful of employees.

I was finally able to get a manager on the phone who admitted they were 7 days behind with the deliveries. How is it possible that a company the size of UPS, with their considerable logistical and material resources goes belly up over three days of heavy snowing? A snowstorm is a rare event in Seattle, so someone on the Midwest or Northeast tell me, does UPS perform that poorly every winter? Is this snowstorm just a convenient cover up for the fact that they can't cope with the volume of holiday deliveries anyway?

It's during crisis situations when companies gain or lose the respect of their customers. UPS has certainly lost mine. I wish I could say I will never use UPS again, but unfortunately I have no choice. I'd feel better about this if at least UPS would not bombard ups with all the work-ethic ads, "what can brown do for you" etc, who extol the virtues of the business and the idea that the customer is King and always gets their service on time. Nobody at UPS cares when the customer gets their delivery; most times things just work fine, but when they fail, they fail monumentally. What's the customer got to do, it's not like there are so many alternatives...

Incidentally, a Google search for the sentence "UPS sucks" yields 15,300 results today. Searching for "FedEx sucks" yields only 7,470 results. Which means that UPS sucks roughly twice as much as FedEx.

Happy holidays!

so Big Fat Rat, perhaps you in your infinate wisdom can fix the problem for next year. what are your suggestions?

BigFatRat

big louse mouse
Nice to see how the trolling game goes on in the absence of the one who started it.

You guys are admirable. I'm sure that when you are talking among yourselves you are the first to criticize some UPS practices or processes you don't agree with. But as soon as someone from outside, an innocent, mistreated customer like me, who has no life and trolls online all day, points some things out - hell not even that - he just asks about what you think could be improved at UPS, you show a united front, march hand in hand, and sqaush the poor bug... or rat. With employees like you management can do no wrong. I'm proud of you. So is America. Heck, I would hire you, and give you benefits.

Ouch, mom, don't hit me, I'm coming to dinner now, as soon as I click the post button!

Last edited:

Re-Raise

This doesn't make much sense; people would gladly drive in the snow to the local UPS center and stay in line to pick up their packages, and UPS can easily beef up support at those facilities by paying overtime rates to a handful of employees

Wow I just read all this again. You are truly clueless. A handful of employees to distribute the packages to the people of Seattle. All conveniently lined up at the customer counter. You have wasted an hour of my life I will never get back.

Re-Raise

Nice to see how the trolling game goes on in the absence of the one who started it.

For a poor little customer who can't get his package you seem very familiar with terms used here, and very vague about your profession and location.

You remind me of another clueless know it all who used to post here. Did you just change your name again BBAG.

BigFatRat

big louse mouse
Wow I just read all this again. You are truly clueless. A handful of employees to distribute the packages to the people of Seattle. All conveniently lined up at the customer counter. You have wasted an hour of my life I will never get back.

Enlighten me, please. The true quality and patience of a wise man can be seen in the way he brings those who have strayed back on the right path.

How would you deal with it? you're quick at raising your hands in the air and saying "we're doing all we can". You personally may be working hard, but is this all UPS can do? Is there anything fundamental that can be changed so that this situation doesn't repeat itself? I would like to know, for example, how UPS centers in areas where snowstorms are usual occuences deal with this kind of siuation?

Heh, don't be a hypocrite, you obviously enjoyed hanging out here and trolling back at me as much as I did.

Re-Raise

Didn't ask who BBAG was .... interesting.

It would be nice if UPS had enough employees on hand to compensate for driving at half speed all day. The combination of peak delivery volume and horrible weather can't immediately be overcome. Just as airports can't maintain schedules when bad wether causes safety delays neither can we.

Look at the pictures by Soberups on another thread here. You really think we can do business as usual under those conditions?

BigFatRat

big louse mouse
Didn't ask who BBAG was .... interesting.

It would be nice if UPS had enough employees on hand to compensate for driving at half speed all day. The combination of peak delivery volume and horrible weather can't immediately be overcome. Just as airports can't maintain schedules when bad wether causes safety delays neither can we.

Look at the pictures by Soberups on another thread here. You really think we can do business as usual under those conditions?

I admit, I am BBAG, you caught me. Oh... kidding, I'm not, but he pays me to say all those nasty things here.

Look, you guys (or your boss, or your bosses' boss, or the evil computer) should admit some sort of responsibility. If all that's done in bad weather is just trying to deliver things like you do in normal weather, but slower, that means you don't have any contingency plan and you're simply abusing the drivers. But what do I know, I'm just a fat rat...

DS

Fenderbender
Enlighten me, please. The true quality and patience of a wise man can be seen in the way he brings those who have strayed back on the right path.

How would you deal with it? you're quick at raising your hands in the air and saying "we're doing all we can". You personally may be working hard, but is this all UPS can do? Is there anything fundamental that can be changed so that this situation doesn't repeat itself? I would like to know, for example, how UPS centers in areas where snowstorms are usual occuences deal with this kind of siuation?

Heh, don't be a hypocrite, you obviously enjoyed hanging out here and trolling back at me as much as I did.
Man this is not normal,I live in Toronto and we have snowstorms a lot,but mother nature threw a rock into the cog and you are sool
I'm starting to hope you never get your package
and stop bothering us here

Re-Raise

How is someone's boss responsible? You sound like the idiots at New Orleans who blamed everyone for their problems after Katrina.

If I were there my problems would be the last thing on my mind. How about what can you do to help others? Instead it was a lot of why can't someone help ME.

How about a little concern for the people working under terrible conditions trying their best whether it be road crews, police or even your UPS driver.

We have become a country of whiners who place blame at every inconvenience. Cowboy up or shut your mouth.

BigFatRat

big louse mouse
I'm starting to hope you never get your package
and stop bothering us here

Hell knows maybe it got lost for good.
I just provide the entertainment so that angry UPS employees can bash someone. Obviously, you could ignore this thread (forum has the option) and move on with your life. Ah, the chicken and egg problem, should I turn off the computer or hit refresh?

Re-raise: you got to express exactly my point. How nice.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Folks,

Thank you all for supporting my trolling and venting. I promise I will get a life soon. On a more constructive note:

Do you think it would be impossible for UPS to come up with a more elaborate contingency plan while the roads are hard to negotiate? Like beefing up staffing and logistics at the customer centers so that people could pick up their parcels themselves? You tell me it's like looking for the needle in the hay-stack. But is it? Aren't you supposed to have tip-top, state-of-the-art package locator logistics and software? And if that's not true, what would you do? Surely just making drivers work longer hours in hazardous conditions is not the only solution, right?

Like what? Installing plows on the front of our trucks and salters on the back?

705red

Browncafe Steward

You guys are admirable. I'm sure that when you are talking among yourselves you are the first to criticize some UPS practices or processes you don't agree with. But as soon as someone from outside, an innocent, mistreated customer like me, who has no life and trolls online all day, points some things out - hell not even that - he just asks about what you think could be improved at UPS, you show a united front, march hand in hand, and sqaush the poor bug... or rat. With employees like you management can do no wrong. I'm proud of you. So is America. Heck, I would hire you, and give you benefits.

Ouch, mom, don't hit me, I'm coming to dinner now, as soon as I click the post button!
We fight between ourselves like brothers and sisters do! but once a non family member attacks one of us we will defend each other. Our company is not perfect like many, but we the employees do our best and have earned the right to bitch!

We are forced to eat crow from customers all day, do not think for a moment that we will eat it here!

I noticed you said your package was car parts? If you are buried in snow, were the friend%$# do you plan on going in your car that's so god dam important?