how far inside the door.

Niceride

How far inside the front door are we required to bring the boxes in? I have s store on my route that has posted a sign for ups deliveries in the back of his junked up store he wants everything put there its about 20 feet back through a junked up maze to get there and you have to pack every case sometimes he gets 20 or 30 cases.

I have heard we are only required to bring them 3 feet inside the door is that true?

this guy is a head case calls in on any driver that delivers there....Ive had 3 concerns already.......its to the point of harrsement on his part...

TSup

How far inside the front door are we required to bring the boxes in? I have s store on my route that has posted a sign for ups deliveries in the back of his junked up store he wants everything put there its about 20 feet back through a junked up maze to get there and you have to pack every case sometimes he gets 20 or 30 cases.

I have heard we are only required to bring them 3 feet inside the door is that true?

this guy is a head case calls in on any driver that delivers there....Ive had 3 concerns already.......its to the point of harrsement on his part...

No such 3 foot rule. I guess if the customer is getting 20-30 cases all the time we may want to do what they ask and thank him for the business. Or have your Supv ride with you and have him address it.

gandydancer

You're paid by the hour, including the time to tell your supes that that stop takes more time than they've allowed. So what's the problem?

browndevil

Is the customer allowing you a safe path to his delivery spot?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have to assume you are not the first driver to deliver to him so I'm sure management is aware of this guy. Tell the sup your concerns and do what he says.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Bring them all the way in! Ups has incidental insurance in case you happen to bump in to any thing with your cart and break it!

rod

Retired 22 years
Bring them all the way in! Ups has incidental insurance in case you happen to bump in to any thing with your cart and break it!

They do? I always told customers that I would be glad to deliver it where they wanted - but I would have to have a signed paper stating that I couldn't be held liable for damages caused by me or my 2-wheeler. (Some of them were even dumb enough believe me and let me just sit the stuff inside the door):wink2: This line worked best on young managemet types. They are sooooooooooo gullible.

over9five

Staff member
Just do what he wants.

On every route, there is a "worst stop". Whenever I used to start a new route, I would go into the worst stop, and make that consignee my new best friend. Trust me, it works. And you're only there for a few minutes anyhow.
Suck it up, service is what we do.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Commercial stops? You put them where the customer wants them. Always. You get paid by the hour to make sure we have satisfied customers. While this stop might be a pain, kill them with kindness,

Residential stops? Usually at the front door, rarely ever inside.

Although if you have someone in a wheelchair asking you to please take the computer up the stairs to the second floor, or please bring it to the back of the house, I have done that as well.

Problem with that is you need to size up the liability to yourself should an accusation ever be made.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just do what he wants.

On every route, there is a "worst stop". Whenever I used to start a new route, I would go into the worst stop, and make that consignee my new best friend. Trust me, it works. And you're only there for a few minutes anyhow.
Suck it up, service is what we do.

I've delivered to many "worst stops" or "worst pickups". Over half the time, they always say how friendlier I am or it's nice to see a driver smile for once. GRANTED, there were many of them that would make the Dalai Lama mumble under his breath.:happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is no hard and fast rule.

We should always be wiling to take the packages a reasonable distance to a designated delivery point....as long as the customer maintains clear and direct access to that point.

It is not our responsiblity to clear their aisle out or move freight from other carriers out of the way. It is not our responsibility to seperate their merchandise by category and haul it around to various locations within the establishment. Reasonable exceptions can certainly be made for reasonable customers...for instance if I have 300 lbs of copier paper on my handtruck I am more than willing to move it an extra 20 feet and leave it next to their copy machine as long as they make an effort to leave me a clear path.

Work with me and I will work with you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree. I'm willing to go that extra mile for the customer, even more-so, when they are nice to me. I separate magazines from books at Barnes N Noble, and deliver music to that dept. The boxes of music ask that they be delivered there, but the magazines don't. These people treat me very well, so I'm more than willing.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I've delivered to many "worst stops" or "worst pickups". Over half the time, they always say how friendlier I am or it's nice to see a driver smile for once. GRANTED, there were many of them that would make the Dalai Lama mumble under his breath.:happy-very:

I agree, kill 'em with kindness. If you are nice to people who are complete jerks it almost always will eventually disarm them. It might take a long time to break them down but it can be done. Those that you cannot win over just be curt and courteous and get the hell away from them as quick as possible.

I covered a route once where a customer was running an awards business out of her basement in a residential neighborhood. She expected us to deliver the heavy boxes filled with marble bases down her stairs. I protested with my supervisor that this was an unreasonable request on her part but he sided with her and that was that. Since it wasn't my route I let it slide but if it was my permanent route I would have really had a hard time not eventually reporting her (anonymously) to the town for running a business in a residence.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I once got into an argument with a woman who had shipped all of her belongings via UPS in almost 40 boxes. I was basically moving her into her house. She wanted all the boxes put in a back room...no problem there... but then she also told me that I would have to take my boots off every time I came inside in order to protect the carpet and that I couldnt use my handtruck. I very politely and professionally explained to her that she was free to kiss my ass. The compromise was that she laid a few pieces of cardboard down and I brought them just inside the front door.