how far inside the door.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Commercial stops? You put them where the customer wants them. Always. You get paid by the hour to make sure we have satisfied customers. While this stop might be a pain, kill them with kindness,

Residential stops? Usually at the front door, rarely ever inside.

Although if you have someone in a wheelchair asking you to please take the computer up the stairs to the second floor, or please bring it to the back of the house, I have done that as well.

Problem with that is you need to size up the liability to yourself should an accusation ever be made.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Had a person move into an apt. on the 3rd floor of apts. I deliver to. There were probably 14 boxes to lug up the stairs. I always run up and make sure they are home before killing myself. No one was home, so I left a note that the pkgs were left at the office. Secretary in the office says, days later, that the people were not very happy to have to lug the boxes themselves. I told her, I guess they should be home the next time they get a huge delivery.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I delivered an over-sized and over-weight parcel to a residence....I got the parcel into the house..and it then shifted and fell into the staircase...broke several bannisters, along w/ the handrail.......never had a problem re: liability or insurance related issues

Loco170Brownie

My favorite was always the Mall stops when no one will answer the back door but they wanted everything delivered into the back. I found bumping into a few ankles with the cart made putting them around the corner at the front ok :wink2:

I did have a guy one time who ripped me a new one in front pf a couple of his customers because I walked in and put a couple heavy boxes on the floor next to what looked like his shipping area, it was a table covered with stuff, no room for more. H ranted about me working for him and I should ask him before I put anything down, and how he had just had a back surgery ( I dont know how many people I have run into with back problems through the years lol) on and on. It was my first time ever there, just covering a route blind. I just stared at him blankly as he finished up, responded with "I will keep that in mind next time, can you please sign here sir?", this started another round of abuse that expanded into name calling, I continued to just stare blankly, and as he wrapped it up I asked him if he was refusing to sign. He said yes and then kept yelling at me as I picked the boxes back up (At this point I believe the line was "Thats what I thought, you had better do what I tell you" came into play) and walked back out the the truck and drove away. Yeah he called the hotline, but it was worth it, and suprise suprise at the time I had a real OCS that laughed at the story, asked me not to do it again but he did understand why I did it.

Footnote to the story it was a Cristian book store I was delivering to. Turn the other cheek guy, turn the other cheek.

:happy-very: :devil3:

BigBrownSanta

When I first started my current bid route, I used to deliver the packages where people wanted them delivered. I would tote boxes of paper upstairs so that they were close to the printers/copy machines. I would take packages through the stores and place them in the back rooms. It started getting to the point that people were asking me to split the delivery and put some in the back room and then some of the packages in the trunks of their cars. That's where I started drawing the line. I told them I would do it that one time, but never again. For many people, if you do something for them once, they come to expect it every time and they will not think twice to ask for more.

About a year ago, I started just delivering to the closest open space I could find that was not blocking their walkways (especially if I was delivering multiple boxes of paper). Man, did they ever complain. I was told every excuse you can think of, I have a bad back, I'm pregnant, you've always done it before, it's only 10 more feet to the stock closet, etc... I was also told that I was being inconsiderate for not doing what they wanted.

My response to them was, I'm sorry, the service we provide is just the delivery of the packages to your door, nothing more. If you want the packages in your closet, you will have to put them there yourself.

I have had many concerns called in on me this past year. To date, no one in management has directed me to deliver to these closets or to any of those other "special" places. (Now that I've said that, I'm sure someone from my management team will be contacting me).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My favorite was always the Mall stops when no one will answer the back door but they wanted everything delivered into the back. I found bumping into a few ankles with the cart made putting them around the corner at the front ok :wink2:

I did have a guy one time who ripped me a new one in front pf a couple of his customers because I walked in and put a couple heavy boxes on the floor next to what looked like his shipping area, it was a table covered with stuff, no room for more. H ranted about me working for him and I should ask him before I put anything down, and how he had just had a back surgery ( I dont know how many people I have run into with back problems through the years lol) on and on. It was my first time ever there, just covering a route blind. I just stared at him blankly as he finished up, responded with "I will keep that in mind next time, can you please sign here sir?", this started another round of abuse that expanded into name calling, I continued to just stare blankly, and as he wrapped it up I asked him if he was refusing to sign. He said yes and then kept yelling at me as I picked the boxes back up (At this point I believe the line was "Thats what I thought, you had better do what I tell you" came into play) and walked back out the the truck and drove away. Yeah he called the hotline, but it was worth it, and suprise suprise at the time I had a real OCS that laughed at the story, asked me not to do it again but he did understand why I did it.

Footnote to the story it was a Cristian book store I was delivering to. Turn the other cheek guy, turn the other cheek.

:happy-very: :devil3:

I will not tolerate being called names. I have warned a couple of people that if they continued to verbally abuse me I would be taking their packages back to the building and no longer setting foot on their property. One of them didnt get the hint, and now he has to have all of his stuff delivered to a UPS store instead of his house.

Ms.PacMan

I deliver to an apparel store who wanted all their boxes in the back from the front door. No problem.

Then they asked me not to use the cart because it was making them nervous that I would get dirt on the clothes hanging on the racks. Um, no. I left all the boxes stacked in a row to the side at the front door.

It didn't end there though. You'll see the chain reaction.

No cart, even through the front door just a foot, then...
Don't prop the door open with a box then...
Don't scuff the door with my heel as I held the door open...
Don't slam the door after I enter (no longer propping the door with my heel)

I finally told her son that the boxes were going to end up outside the front door because she was leaving me no alternative.

She called the 800# that day and requested a male driver in the future! LOL.

Big Babooba

I very politely and professionally explained to her that she was free to kiss my ass.
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's one of the 340 methods. Also, how would you explain to your wife about that lipstick on your butt cheeks?
She called the 800# that day and requested a male driver in the future! LOL.
She wants a man. You obviously can't deliver the right "package" to her!:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
I don't think we would win any of those scenarios here. The customer would call in, and management would tell us to do what the customer says.

I have refused to deliver to a customer that verbally abused me. (Horrible me, I RTSd a call tag after 3 attempts at her business!). I didn't say a word back, just left, called my boss and told him I wouldn't even go back for the p/u until he had a talk with HIS customer. Somebody else picked up that night, and the next day my sup, center manager, and me all had a meeting with her at her business.
Went extremely well, I was proud of the management team that day.

Braveheart

Tell manager he is slowing production!

Then stack heavy ones on top of lite ones or all on the floor with no stacking and let him stack them. Put them all over the place in the back so he has to look for them. Guy sounds like he thinks the world revolves around him. Back door delivery if he wants them in the back.

Also stack upside down with labels facing down then a couple sideways and so forth. Make him earn it like he is making you earn it. You should not have to go through a maze to deliver his stuff.