how hard is it for a part-time supervisor to become a full-time driver?

Hangingon

All of the PT sups here that went into driving had to swear on the life of their new born child that they were doing it to prepare for FT management. Of course once you get the hourly position they can't force you into accepting a management slot. The last three that went into driving here turned them down and remained drivers.

purplesky

I've talked to my hub manager and my FT sup about it and they act like they don't really *********about me and they tell me it's hard to become a driver and they can't do anything about it. Who should i talk to about becoming a driver?

Dude you have to pretend that you want to be a oncar Sup and then trick them when you are a seasonal driver. If you tell management while you are in management that you want to jump ship and join the union and drive you will get nowhere. Can you blame them? We have a few drivers who were in your position and they caught hell from management for choosing to stay a driver and rejoin the union. To be honest kid being a UPS driver these days really sucks so go to school and get a life away from Brown while you are young and able. Your back and knees will thank me. So will your family.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
i just feel a little ripped off. I should have stayed hourly instead of becoming a sup. At the time, before my promotion my FT told me it's easy for sups to become drivers and that he'd hook me up. He then "resigned" maybe 5 months after i became a sup and now i have no one to go to.
I feel your pain. I was pushed to go into management 17 years ago but after talking with several senior drivers, decided to stay hourly. I've seen so many part-time supervisors come and go and they were all promised a short-cut to driving. I went full-time 10 years ago and in my 17 years, only 2 part-time supervisors managed to cross to driving. Both of those were 15 years ago.

purplesky

Dear purplesky,

Why does being a UPS driver suck?

If this is so, this is so sad!

Sincerely,

I

This Integrity thing you have going is getting old and is really stupid! In a nutshell I am just looking out for the kid. WHY WOULD ANY DECENT PERSON ON THE PLANET TELL SOMEONE WHO HAS THEIR WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF THEM TO BECOME A UPS DRIVER. INTEGRITY JUST READ THROUGH ALL THE POSTS ON THE BC AND YOU WILL FIND HUNDREDS OF REASONS TO NOT BECOME A UPS DRIVER. THE CONCLUSION OF ALL THAT FUN AND INTERESTING READING WILL GIVE YOU THE ANSWER TO YOUR SILLY QUESTION. I HAVE A FUN IDEA FOR YOU INTEGRITY. WHY DONT YOU START A POLL ON HERE AND ASK UPS DRIVERS IF THEY THINK THE JOB SUCKS IN 2009? :wink2:

brownrod

my plan is to become a driver and then go into feeders. A part time sup shouldn't be stressed, so i can only imagine what the full timers go through.

Your best bet is to be hired as the 6:1 outside driver. However, pretend and make your supervisors think that you are doing this as a stepping stone to becoming a driver supervisor. Don't let them know you want to become a driver and stay there. If they catch on that your goal is to stay a driver long term then they will never hire you as a driver.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I learned from just reading BC every week to not accept the promotion to part-time sup, that's why when they asked I flat out said NO!!!!!

Good point.

Let this be a lesson to new people reading BC thinking about plunging into the toilet called PT supervision at UPS.

Anything in life worth having doesn't come easy.

And a promotion to UPS supervisor certainly does come easy, infact embarrasingly easy. It's a waste and loss of time, money , promotions, dignity, and Integrity.

yeaalabama1212

I was actually promoted from local sort sup to driving. Been with the company since 2004. Was promoted to part time management in 2005. Never really wanted to drive being that I knew what type of job it is. After I graduated, I worked a second job. I soon realized that I couldn't continue to do that for a long time. The outside hire position became open and was offered to a female sup, but something happened and she didn't qualify. I went to my HR and let her know I was interested in the job. center manager approved and I've been driving since March 2009. But I was told I was being promoted to driving to prepare me for full-time management.

tarbar66

my plan is to become a driver and then go into feeders. A part time sup shouldn't be stressed, so i can only imagine what the full timers go through.

I just want to know how do I go about getting my name on a list or apply for the driving job?

If you are in a hub as you say then you should try to go directly into feeders. I know a couple of part time dispatchers that are now full time feeder drivers. The hub that they worked at had a lot of retirees and feeder drivers were hired off the street at one point.

Good Luck!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A lot of part time supervisors work in these places called "hubs" where there is no such thing as a center manager.

Um, wrong. The hubs have center manager's. It is just that the part-time supervisors have not been exposed to or worked for one because they are in the centers within the hub, not in the sort.

UPSGUY72

This Integrity thing you have going is getting old and is really stupid! In a nutshell I am just looking out for the kid. WHY WOULD ANY DECENT PERSON ON THE PLANET TELL SOMEONE WHO HAS THEIR WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF THEM TO BECOME A UPS DRIVER. INTEGRITY JUST READ THROUGH ALL THE POSTS ON THE BC AND YOU WILL FIND HUNDREDS OF REASONS TO NOT BECOME A UPS DRIVER. THE CONCLUSION OF ALL THAT FUN AND INTERESTING READING WILL GIVE YOU THE ANSWER TO YOUR SILLY QUESTION. I HAVE A FUN IDEA FOR YOU INTEGRITY. WHY DONT YOU START A POLL ON HERE AND ASK UPS DRIVERS IF THEY THINK THE JOB SUCKS IN 2009? :wink2:

I know what you mean there are so many reason that you never would want to be a UPS driver I know I regret it. I mean who wants the benifits, pensions, medical, dental, etc. I can understand that most people would rather make minimum wage instead of $30 hr. and what really does it is that they pay me for taking a week off here and there and eventually I'll get 6 weeks of vacation I mean that really sucks.