How Hard is it really?

Rallyguy

All the threads on here that gripe about UPS usually boil down to one common theme.

"How can they ask me to work harder? I am working as hard as I can"

As one who has unloaded and loaded (Hub)

I can say personally that unloading 800 net an hour is not hard. Loading at 400 an hour (with smart) is not hard. It is tiring after 3 hours? Yes, of course, but that's why you are getting paid.

So my question to all is how hard is it really? What is your personal best/worst?

I understand working slower as you are not getting compensated to work harder, but can you really say you are working as hard as you can if you are not hitting at least 350 load PPH or 800 unload PPH?

wgf46

Loading 350 pieces per hour in 4 trucks is really not safe betting that the flow will be extreme. 250 is a very steady day. Now, 350 pph of the same boxes in 1 truck is a different story. My point is, VARIABLES, to many variables. Flow difference, size, weight, type, bulk stops. I do we'll with 250 pph and 4 trucks. 800 pph unloading is very doable, not a problem. Just to many variable to safely load 350 pph and to top it off, NO MISLOADS and to have the labels turned correctly for the driver to see on the shelf or in the floor, plus have the load look good so the driver can do his job efficiently. Yes, throwing 350 pph into the trucks without a care in the world, no problem. But, I care about myself, the driver, and the customers goods that are in the boxes. A seasoned loader might could do this, not impossible, but not 5 days a week 350 pph. I'd like to see the loader that does 350 pph loading consistently !

UnconTROLLed

perfection
He was talking hub loads, not preload/brownies.

To the OP

" can you really say you are working as hard as you can if you are not hitting at least 350 load PPH or 800 unload PPH?"

Why would one "work as hard as they can?" unless they were owners, and not mere wage slaves? That does not sound like a fair agreement between employer and employee. If one maintains a 400/hr, 30-years at UPS, the two are entirely different goals. Some may be able to maintain that, but many more will not. It's called age and realistic goals.

Notcool

Loading 300pph is easy for me but I have been here awhile its not for every one. I normally load 350 or so but that first hour I recently been hitting 500 just to see how high I can get ups loading has to be a personal challenge most people I have found have no competitive drive

Rallyguy

He was talking hub loads, not preload/brownies.

To the OP

" can you really say you are working as hard as you can if you are not hitting at least 350 load PPH or 800 unload PPH?"

Why would one "work as hard as they can?" unless they were owners, and not mere wage slaves? That does not sound like a fair agreement between employer and employee. If one maintains a 400/hr, 30-years at UPS, the two are entirely different goals. Some may be able to maintain that, but many more will not. It's called age and realistic goals.

I agree completely agree. It in the best interest of the loader to work as slowly as possible without getting reprimanded.

What I don't understand is why people are saying they are working as hard as they can. Are they really? Or are they working as much as they think the company deserves for the pay they receive.

I guess it boils down to me being annoyed at some of the people who complain about the work.

trickpony1

Loading 300pph is easy for me but I have been here awhile its not for every one. I normally load 350 or so but that first hour I recently been hitting 500 just to see how high I can get ups loading has to be a personal challenge most people I have found have no competitive drive

.....and when your shoulders, neck and back start giving you trouble see if the company will be there for you.

stink219

I can't speak for loaders and unloaders. People ask me all the time, as a driver, how hard is it. All I say is, get in and out of your car 150 times a day. When that is doable, start adding boxes to that.

texan

I can't speak for loaders and unloaders. People ask me all the time, as a driver, how hard is it. All I say is, get in and out of your car 150 times a day. When that is doable, start adding boxes to that.
Great post. Well said.

H

htown0721

I agree completely agree. It in the best interest of the loader to work as slowly as possible without getting reprimanded.

I know people are going to disagree and get mad when I say this, but this is the most idiotic post I have read on here. It is not in the best interest to work as slow as possible without getting in trouble that is border-line sabotage. You work at an adequate pace and the pace that UPS has established is not rigorous, I mean come on 240 pph. That breaks down to 4 boxes a minute or one every 15 seconds. As a supervisor it is employees that go out of their way to work slow that piss everyone off (not related to drivers, have no idea how your side works). And when an employee factors in benefits you are receiving quite a decent compensation package, so to say you don't make that much money is stupid. Personally, I really hate people who come to work and don't want to put in a decent effort and I am not saying you have to load 400 pph but to say to go as slow as possible without getting in trouble makes you look like a real winner.

OptimusPrime

I know people are going to disagree and get mad when I say this, but this is the most idiotic post I have read on here. It is not in the best interest to work as slow as possible without getting in trouble that is border-line sabotage. You work at an adequate pace and the pace that UPS has established is not rigorous, I mean come on 240 pph. That breaks down to 4 boxes a minute or one every 15 seconds. As a supervisor it is employees that go out of their way to work slow that piss everyone off (not related to drivers, have no idea how your side works). And when an employee factors in benefits you are receiving quite a decent compensation package, so to say you don't make that much money is stupid. Personally, I really hate people who come to work and don't want to put in a decent effort and I am not saying you have to load 400 pph but to say to go as slow as possible without getting in trouble makes you look like a real winner.

So says Saruman from high atop Isengard. Knock it off chump. Real easy to preach PPH while you are standing around the Hubcom playing grabass. Bet that clipboard gets heavy. And you couldn't relate to drivers. We do work son.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I work at a pace i feel my body can maintain for the next 25-30 years. You keep smokin it man they will do everything they can to let u go as soon as you get hurt and are a liability.

laffter

Getting in and out of a package car does a little more to your knees than getting in out of your sedan.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Rallyguy , I have loaded & unload feeders , air cans , and PC's .
I have operated just about every vehicle UPS has used in the last 30 yrs. { many which are no longer in service }. I have worked twilight, midnight, and preload in several different buildings .
And you ask such a strange question , let me give you some advice , come back and start this thread again after you have walked in my shoes .

I don't know about where yalls hub is with 400pph, but its more where I work. Especially when they throw up midnite work and my flows says 2800+ pph. Loading 400pph isnt an option.