How Hard is it really?

konsole

Is the 240 PPH thats been mentioned countless times for the trailer loaders or for the preloaders?

As a preloader for 11+ years I can say that I have never seen a preloader be able to safely keep up with that kind of number. I don't know exactly how the trailer loaders work but if they stay inside the trailer and pick up the packages that roll into the truck on the rollers, and then stack them after little to no walking, then ya I can see upwards of 350 PPH being doable, but the size and weight of the packages should be considered along with temperature and humidity.

Rallyguy

Is the 240 PPH thats been mentioned countless times for the trailer loaders or for the preloaders?

As a preloader for 11+ years I can say that I have never seen a preloader be able to safely keep up with that kind of number. I don't know exactly how the trailer loaders work but if they stay inside the trailer and pick up the packages that roll into the truck on the rollers, and then stack them after little to no walking, then ya I can see upwards of 350 PPH being doable, but the size and weight of the packages should be considered along with temperature and humidity.

Should your paycheck go up and down with the weather too?

I understand the human factor, but its not like you are working with 100% effort.

If i told you you had to load 350PPH for a week and you would get a 10k bonus, would you be able to hit that number?

Of course you would. Most people would.

My beef is that people say its not possible. It is possible with more effort.

I'm not saying the pay your receive should give you any incentive to the work harder, but simply people are not working at 100% of their capabilities.

BrownArmy

I understand the human factor, but its not like you are working with 100% effort...

I'm not saying the pay your receive should give you any incentive to the work harder, but simply people are not working at 100% of their capabilities.

Heard a DM screaming at a Steward that he'd caught a driver stealing time (turns out, no).

DM ended his rant saying he wanted every driver to give 110%, 100% of the time (mathematically unsound).

Look, guy, it's not rational/possible/necessary/advisable to give 100% of your capacity 100% of the time at this job.

Perhaps you're confusing what's 'possible' with what's the reality on the ground.

Possible and reality are both nebulous and changing concepts.

You sound like a super-star, which is awesome: you're embracing possibility!

Get back to us when reality hits you.

OptimusPrime

Should your paycheck go up and down with the weather too?

I understand the human factor, but its not like you are working with 100% effort.

If i told you you had to load 350PPH for a week and you would get a 10k bonus, would you be able to hit that number?

Of course you would. Most people would.

Complete fail. You basically lay it out yourself with the 10K deal. Starting wage at UPS is dog **** for the work. If said worker got 25 hours straight pay, and OMG 15 hours OT, even then he is clearing a whopping 21k a year. For some back breaking assed work. Obviously you are a clipboard carrier, texting all day :censored2: or something.

Rallyguy

Complete fail. You basically lay it out yourself with the 10K deal. Starting wage at UPS is dog **** for the work. If said worker got 25 hours straight pay, and OMG 15 hours OT, even then he is clearing a whopping 21k a year. For some back breaking assed work. Obviously you are a clipboard carrier, texting all day :censored2: or something.

Did you even read the post you quoted?

konsole

Giving 110% is only a smart idea for very short periods of time, or if its a life or death or serious harm scenario. You want to put in 110% if your life was on the line in a survival situation, you can even give 110% for a short period of the work day. If you try to give 110% for anything more then about 25% of the day you are going to end up injuring yourself or your body is going to quit on you from exhaustion in no time. Every company tells their employees to work at 110% because it means better profits, but what will end up happening is employee turnover and injuries are going to be so high that the company will wish they eased off the expatations a bit. A machine you can have run at 110% for a while, but they don't have minds to keep sane, they dont have countless parts that can break down and take a long time to repair, and they don't have many other tasks they need to perform once that particular job is done. Part timers work part time because they have other things they need to do or want to do the rest of the day. If they worked 110% the whole 4-5 hours then they can say goodbye to whatever plans they had for after the shift. Its even worse for full timers because they already have so little time and energy after their shift as it is. If this job involved something as important as saving human lives like a fireman or a doctor then I wouldnt see any issue with expecting 110% whenever possible, but delivering Suzie's new handbag that she bought on the Home Shopping Network isnt exactly a job worth giving 110% for from start to finish. Pay has nothing to do with it. If a preloader made $50 an hour they still should be working at the same level as if they made $2 an hour. You can't expect someone making $2 an hour to give 110%, and someone making $50 an hour to give 300%. The only time that higher pay should equal higher work effort is when its contractually agreed upon.

I can't stand the phrase "Just do your best", which is no different then saying "all you have to do is something as simple as the most you can possibly do". Your not going to convince me that the best that I can possibly do is somehow just barely acceptable. Its just a way of tricking workers into trying their hardest while feeling lucky that management somehow doesnt expect too much from them. Instead of saying "just do your best", a better phrase might be "just put a solid effort in"