How hard is it to learn a rural route?

onehandsolo

I have the option to bid on a rural route. I know very little about the area. It is basically a small town 20 or stops and than 80 to 90 stops in the country.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is much easier with 911.

Ask your OMS or supervisor if they could print out the delivery records for that area. This would give you an idea of how the current bid driver runs the route.

Concentrate on learning the roads before you try to learn any of the "tricks" of the route, such as where you can leave packages for people who live out in the middle of nowhere but work in town.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think you should bid on it but if you haven't driven long enough to know much about rural routes you probably won't have enough seniority to win the bid. Go for it anyway though because you might get lucky and nobody else will bid on it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Some people do better on rural routes than others. If you do not know the area, are you good with a map?? You will need one for a bit, but if you are still relying on it heavily at the end of the 2nd week, you're going to have a tough time.

I like routes with a small town and rural routes. Usually, you have a place to eat lunch and get coffee. Makes for a nice day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some people do better on rural routes than others. If you do not know the area, are you good with a map?? You will need one for a bit, but if you are still relying on it heavily at the end of the 2nd week, you're going to have a tough time.

I like routes with a small town and rural routes. Usually, you have a place to eat lunch and get coffee. Makes for a nice day.

I loved my rural route.

I got tired of walking down snow covered driveways.

35years

Gravy route
If you have been doing heavy city routes rural is going to be like not even working. So much easier to learn and way easier on your body. Warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have been driving for 23 years. 20 on the same route. 20 years ago I was a good coverage driver. I am 48 now my mind and body move at a slower pace.
Within the first 2 weeks you'll have delivered to over 90% of the people that are going to get anything. Do it. Sounds like a nice retirement route.