How hard is it to learn a rural route?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Not really..long driveways...never knowing wats at the top, not knowing if you can turn around...another pain in the ass..not EASY by any means. That's why another driver who knows the route inside n out needs to train u, not management.
We all learned routes by trial and error. Even on my own route I hope like hell they don't have the turnaround blocked.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have the option to bid on a rural route. I know very little about the area. It is basically a small town 20 or stops and than 80 to 90 stops in the country.

You left out a vital statistic---------how many miles on average and what kind of roads? A small town and 80-90 stops with a 100 miles is doable (still sounds like too much to me for a rural route) but if its 300 miles-- NO WAY. The two routes we had that averaged 300 miles went out with no more than 20-25 stops. (Yes I realize that was the old UPS) .

wayfair

swollen member
You left out a vital statistic---------how many miles on average and what kind of roads? A small town and 80-90 stops with a 100 miles is doable (still sounds like too much to me for a rural route) but if its 300 miles-- NO WAY. The two routes we had that averaged 300 miles went out with no more than 20-25 stops. (Yes I realize that was the old UPS) .
lake communities get at least 40 stops and they're close

rod

Retired 22 years
lake communities get at least 40 stops and they're close

Trouble is around here we have lakes that are 25 to 100 miles in circumference so if you have stops clear around the lake you can really rack up the miles. If you only had one stop per lake it would be over 10,000 stops:-)

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Every route I know has a large majority that is rural, even one with a fair sized in-town section. I personally didn't have a very hard time learning them. Just pay attention when they train you and ask a lot of questions about where different roads come out on and such.

I also make my own maps, and spend a lot of time on Bing maps just looking around for fun. It actually helps a lot. After a few runs of the route it all just comes together and I hardly even have to reference my maps, usually more often for the in town parts if at all actually.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Laminated map + dry erase marker. Easy Peasy.

I personally wouldn't call 100+ stops rural though.
Rural routes can be over 100 stops. If you're delivering out in the woods and dirt roads that's rural. If you drive 20 minutes of dirt roads between stops, do a ton of miles and have a low stop count that's more of a country run.
I average under 100 stops and have an urban route so it's not just about stop count.

oldngray

nowhere special
Miles are your friend and seat time is always easier then breaking your back humping a bunch of heavy packages.

There is a learning curve for rural routes but I have never heard anyone complaining about those routes. Other than if their areas are heavy they are the only one to get it delivered. Some of those routes put in long days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Miles are your friend and seat time is always easier then breaking your back humping a bunch of heavy packages.

There is a learning curve for rural routes but I have never heard anyone complaining about those routes. Other than if their areas are heavy they are the only one to get it delivered. Some of those routes put in long days.
That's what the 9.5 list is for. Lol

Management hates rural route 9.5 driver.

upschuck

I've been on routes that went out with 50stops/210 miles, and gone out on rurals with 100/200. each route is different. 240 is about the highest mileage I've driven.

Only problem with them is that the days you want to get off early, you probably won't, those routes are the late ones.

rod

Retired 22 years
A true rural route used to mean spending your time driving many miles on dirt roads looking at mailbox after mailbox with no name on it-------------------in the dark. Fun times.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Damn that's light. We have two rural satellite routes now that will do 70 stops and 300 miles. About a 9 hour day. And that's not dispatched, that's a 9 HR paid day

rod

Retired 22 years
Damn that's light. We have two rural satellite routes now that will do 70 stops and 300 miles. About a 9 hour day. And that's not dispatched, that's a 9 HR paid day

I suppose 300 miles of nice tar straight roads is different than a 300 mile route that is about 2/3rds dirt roads going around hidden backwoods lakes..

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
your routes are nasty if they have that many stops and miles
Only 2 have those conditions. The rest are a lot better. Those 2 guys from what I can tell like them, don't hear too much from them. I think they like them because they don't have to deal with us on a daily basis.

I worked in our building for almost 3 years in our buildings before meeting one of the drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider
I talked to a guy that worked a town in MT. He did the town where my daughter lives (1800 pop.) and the surrounding county. The day I spoke to him, he had 75 stops and doubted that he had an 8 hour day. He was pretty happy with the light day.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
My area is 100 stops with 170 miles. Best thing for me. After you learn the area. Then learn where you can pawn as you go. Stuff mailboxes and in the winter. Tie to trees in at the end of driveways. Have houses I don't see from November to March. Then I get the Xmas tips in the spring.