How hard is it to learn a rural route?

wayfair

swollen member
The way I read your post is that you wanted a second route dispatched in that same area.

I'm sure his heavy days aren't only in his area, so a split run driver maybe needed to cover the extra work... you've been here long enough to know how it works

but it his is fedex though

Cementups

Box Monkey
Only a brown nosed individual can do that and not get 40 more stops the next day

My old route was mostly country and there were days that I would be sitting done at 3:30. But I couldn't head in. So I would just sit.....and sit........and wait. Maybe take a nap. Read a book. Can you tell this was before telematics? :laugh:

One day I was dispatched with 120 stops. I needed a min of 130-135 to carry most days. I had only a couple air with a noon commit, ran all in trace, and rolled into lunch at noon.....with 90 stops off. Lunch until 1 and then slowly plucked through the last 30 stops and 3 pickups (in trace). That was one of those 3:30 days. Boy I miss that trip.

barnyard

KTM rider
I covered a route for 3 years that could be like that. It dispatched with 70 stops and would routinely go out with 80-85 with a 10 stop pick up that did not start until 3:30. I got to where I loved long lunches.

Dr.Brownz

...or perhaps work should be taken off of the early part of his route on the heavier days....it would make no sense to have 2 drivers covering basically the same geographical area...

Id not worry about it since a split or what your suggesting could be appropriate based on information unknown to this board like where this and how the area is layed out

barnyard

KTM rider
You're going to hate it if we get 2 weeks of snow. Nothing like trying to learn a rural route and what driveways you can go down when you cannot see anything because of all the snow.

Sparkey86

Been on RRoute since 2006. 1. Make friends with someone with a tractor.
2. Get phone numbers of as many addresses as possible.
3. Carry 5 gallon bucket and toilet paper.
4. Tow cable, shovel
5. Learn route inside out as well as where all the relatives, ex wives, husbands work and live.