how hard is it to learn to drive a package car if you don't know how to drive a manua

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: how hard is it to learn to drive a package car if you don't know how to drive a m

This is most likely not an issue as most of the newer pkg cars on the road are automatic. It would not be a bad idea for you to learn how to drive a stick and it is not that hard to learn. Do you have a friend who has a manual transmission car? Ask him/her to teach you. Go to an empty parking lot and practice. When you feel confident enough to go on the road, go to a hill, stop, and see if you can start up on that hill. This is the way I taught my kids how to drive a stick.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Re: how hard is it to learn to drive a package car if you don't know how to drive a m

Used to be that UPS wouldn't even look at you as a driver unless you already knew how to drive a stick. On the job isn't the place or time, what with everything else going on. Please beg, barrow or rent something and learn how to drive a stick BEFORE you go to driving........

In our area, if you don't know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, you would not be considered a viable candidate for the position.

UPSGUY72

i don't know how to drive a stick. Will it be hard for me to learn how to drive a package car?

Impossible. You can put your name on the list however when they give you the Road test before they send you to school you will fail. Since 90% of the package cars are sticks you need to know how to drive one.

If you want to be a package car driver you need to learn how to drive a stick and need to be good at it. If not you will never get out of the parking lot on your road test.

over9five

Staff member

This is most likely not an issue as most of the newer pkg cars on the road are automatic.

I wonder... There is always going to be the possibility that you will get stuck with an old manual PC. How does UPS qualify PC drivers now? I would expect they would want every PC driver to be able to drive a manual, and the qualification should be in a manual PC.

UPSGUY72

I wonder... There is always going to be the possibility that you will get stuck with an old manual PC. How does UPS qualify PC drivers now? I would expect they would want every PC driver to be able to drive a manual, and the qualification should be in a manual PC.

Correct you need to know how to drive a stick. They give you your road test in a stick.

I don't see doing away with this requirement untill every car in a center is automatic

Babagounj

Strength through joy

some sup qualified a new driver by giving them a road test in a P300 ( ford econoline air van, automatic ), it came to be quite a shock to the on-road training sup { this was back before driver training schools } when he instructed the new driver to take the wheel.
It's true that our entire fleet will someday be all automatics,not because of lack of people knowing how to shift but due to the lack of people who know how to fix them.
Its becoming an old skill to drive a stick, but consider this it is also becoming a anti-thief device if you happen to have a vehicle with one.

kerbinator

In our area, if you don't know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle, you would not be considered a viable candidate for the position.
same. on top of that the driver training for our area is all done on a stick

evilleace

In our center you have to know how to drive one and UPS will not teach you buy an old junker if you have to and learn it is not that hard though it can seem intimidating I almost prefer to drive one I feel it keeps me more alert and is also more enjoyable.

UPSBluRdg03

In my center I would say 75% of the PC's on the road each day are auto's. We still have prob 10-15 of the older diesel stick 1000's and about 15 of the non power steering gasser 800's. Most days there are a couple 800's on the road. During peak they are all out there. With the PC's needing maintenance constantly its always possible your nice auto PC gets replaced for a day or two with an older truck with a stick to complete a repair. It sounds like it depends on the center as to what your chances are of having to drive one everyday but your road test will definately be done in one. Just get someone to teach you. Within a week you should be able to pick it up enough to feel comfortable at it.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling

It's true that our entire fleet will someday be all automatics,not because of lack of people knowing how to shift but due to the lack of people who know how to fix them.

I disagree. It is nothing to fix a manuel transmission when compared to an automatic. Plus the fact that a manuel will last 300,000 to 400,000 miles, while you would do well to get 100,000 out of an automatic.

The real reason UPS went to the automatic? Time. Automatics are faster in stop and go driving, saving those seconds off of every shift. Plus, with an automatic, you have a clean floor in front of the bulkhead door, for easier package handling. How many time as a driver have you um "rearranged the family jewels" while trying to get a package out of the cargo area?

over9five

Staff member

How many time as a driver have you um "rearranged the family jewels" while trying to get a package out of the cargo area?

I'm very careful with the jewels, but my shorts used to get caught on the shifter all the time!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling

Us short legged guys have to be REAL careful around stick shift package cars.

22.34life

You have to be able to drive a stick in order to pass the road test.I tried to go sat. air driver along time ago and i didnt know how to drive a stick shift,i learned and practiced before the driving test.I got to be pretty good at it but i still failed the road test,i would say you have to be very comfortable with driving a stick shift before you can pass.one thing that threw me off was the pc had a gear pattern where 1st was where reverse was and vice versa, this made it very hard for me.

UPSGUY72

You have to be able to drive a stick in order to pass the road test.I tried to go sat. air driver along time ago and i didnt know how to drive a stick shift,i learned and practiced before the driving test.I got to be pretty good at it but i still failed the road test,i would say you have to be very comfortable with driving a stick shift before you can pass.one thing that threw me off was the pc had a gear pattern where 1st was where reverse was and vice versa, this made it very hard for me.

Yes different package cars have different transmissions in my center a regular 4 speeds and a 5 speed spicer.

BROWN430

It was a requirement when I started. When I applied in 1991 our center needed a carwasher and I couldn't drive a stick. We had to be able to back the truck into the building. Needless to say I couldn't. I didn't get the job the first time I applied. Just so happened the person that they hired instead could not lift the hoods of the package cars to check the oil. So she only lasted a week and quit. Part time sup at the time told the guy doing the hiring to call me back and he would take me out on the lot and practice when we had time. Until then I would be loading trailers. As the sup now says one or two clutches later I was washing cars. Funny thing to this story is that sup that got me the job is now a driver in our center also.

Andorian440

It's very difficult to borrow a stick shift to learn with, since so few people have them nowadays. Some people I know have suggested renting a Uhaul to practice with.