How is everybodys peak going?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Pretty typical peak...busy...drivers aren't out as late this year. But that's because we've had little to no snow...not because of awesome peak planning.

probellringer

The New York City area... Few buildings in particular- were devastated... We have had supes FLOWN in from Maine to Oregon, and everywhere in between... Volume was up 28% from last yr- and it was embarrassing as a driver ... Our largest shipper was not pleased... Heard they switched for a day- Really sad... We are a great company- and need to focus on customer service- and they don't get it when routes are cut... I hope someone reading this gets the big picture;and they expect the unexpected - because the last two weeks all they've done is stayed back and saw it all unravel.. Run the routes and restore normalcy please

I

IslandGirl

TERRIBLE!!...when I left at the end of my shift..the warehouse was about half full..one driver had sprained his ankle first thing this a.m...the full truck sitting there..130plus stops not getting done today..whole areas of the city,stacked up..not getting deliveries for third day in a row..lotsa bulk for malls sitting there...
"They" did not hire enough drivers,instead,went the helper route..but,there is only so much a 'team' can do in 11 hours..all drivers are working 10plus hours a day..for weeks already..some work the max:11.99hr..call centre continues to send ETA requests..those are shot down immediately..as are Same day will calls..we can't even promise what is going to get delvd tomorrow..as 'they' decided that the best action was to do a rotating cycle of areas that would be delvd in..as in,every other day..but that has quickly fallen apart..supes are out delivering,doing meets,etc..
One driver called in sick,the injured one today..another is off on long term..couple have restricted hours..some part timers are actually just that,part time..as they have other jobs.(and management gets mad when they can't get those part timers to work full time!-gee,I wonder why?)..
And still more Amazon is arriving..free shipping days on now!!..

Can't wait till tomorrow..''I didn't ask for my pkg to be futured''..

rudy5150

Worst peak ever! And our center manager took away overtime for part timers. Total codswallop took $400 out of everyones pocket. Possibly more!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So far, so good. We are 100% clean at this point. They advanced work on Monday and we got it all delivered. Weather has been a non-factor which is huge. I have an awesome helper and have been punching out at the same time that I normally do during the year. 8 working days left.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Overflow Routes that are usually in everyday after December 1 have not been implemented ,and as a result I worked right at 17 hours of OT last week,and will probably come close again this week. Sock it to me,because i'll be the first one on the 9.5 list in January,and I will most certainly be using my 8 hour requests

OCRookie

My particular center has had a suprisingly smooth peak season. Like many of you have stated already, the weather has played a big role in that. I will say though, I have heard stories of other larger centers in our district and it makes me appreciate how it has gone in our center that much more.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Center has been well run, its been a very smooth peak so far. I have had five different helpers so far. The one I started yesterday is on Morris Brown College's track team, he lives on my route right where I start my helper. The guy is standing at the end of his driveway waiting on me at 11:30, he amazes me. As soon as the Preload goes down, they let us start. We usually have 212 stops off by the time it gets dark, 212 stops seems to be the dispatch number for me this year.

Johney

Cutting routes, asking guys to go home(why not, run 270 or go home? No brainer), guys doing 300 already, helpers bailing. Two guys on TAW working 10+ hours shagging misloads. Worst planned peak I've seen in a long time. Just to be clear it is not local management behind it, coming from somewhere else. I think we will have guys with over 400 next week. Lots of guys!

thessalonian13

Cutting routes, asking guys to go home(why not, run 270 or go home? No brainer), guys doing 300 already, helpers bailing. Two guys on TAW working 10+ hours shagging misloads. Worst planned peak I've seen in a long time. Just to be clear it is not local management behind it, coming from somewhere else. I think we will have guys with over 400 next week. Lots of guys!
Damn... that's rough... but not as rough as my van route. I have to do 45-50 comm stops every day and my pick-ups. snicker snicker

tre305

Lightest peak I've seen in my 4 years here. Our heaviest days were right after thanksgiving and only have gotten lighter since then. So either those midnight start times are way behind us or this is the quiet before the storm. Next week being the storm

Brain Genocide

My first season, not too bad really. But did get a call from office, I was not to work more than 8hrs. Guess they don't like the help to get OT.

CFLBrown

Lightest peak I've seen in my 4 years here. Our heaviest days were right after thanksgiving and only have gotten lighter since then. So either those midnight start times are way behind us or this is the quiet before the storm. Next week being the storm

How about asking the drivers you load for how their peak is going. Preloaders sent home early in our building, doesn't mean it translates in to reduced hours for the drivers. Jump on a car as a helper and you'll see.