How is that recorded?

As would I.

But now we have a customer tracking a package that is never scanned. (Or not until the clerk scans it, maybe at 11pm). The customer is pissed, calls UPS, but at 5pm, the call center knows nothing either. Has to be a way for the driver to record it so someone tracking it during normal business hours can track it.
I totally agree with you Over. I think they should add something like "Repack" or "Rebox" to the options for a clearer way to record. If the center has a standing protocol in place (as UpState has), then that's the way to go. If there is not anything set, then the best thing to do is call or message the center for instructions. There should be a company wide method set in stone, but as far as I can tell there is not.

old levi's

blank space
As would I.

But now we have a customer tracking a package that is never scanned. (Or not until the clerk scans it, maybe at 11pm). The customer is pissed, calls UPS, but at 5pm, the call center knows nothing either. Has to be a way for the driver to record it so someone tracking it during normal business hours can track it.

We do sheet it on area.*** Refused/Didn't want*** And that opens another can of worms, but I work as directed.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
it used to be sheet it as hold for loss prevention.

at no time were we to assume it was damaged and sheet it as such, just like tpl posted.

but it seems now the standard instruction at our center is to open it and see, which to me opens up a whole can of worms for the driver, should anything end up missing out of the package.

i would still sheet it up as hold for loss prevention.

d

DS

Fenderbender
Although it's embarassing,I usually let the customer make the call.They can out and out refuse it,or if they want to sign for it,I will wait while they check the contents.If it is indeed damaged I do an unscheduled pickup and scan it and type damaged in the remarks and give it to the clerk to rts.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Let's say you have a package that is loaded on the package car and looks like its been through the "gates of hell", and very well could be damaged. (far-fetched,...I know). Instead of delivering, you bring the package back to bldg so the clerk can re-box. How do you guys record such package. Dmg, Fut del,... I have been told both. What is CORRECT way to record?
Don't touch, leave area, notify supe
In our center we are not allowed to use the Future key.
Is that because it's not there yet?

Although it's embarassing,I usually let the customer make the call.They can out and out refuse it,or if they want to sign for it,I will wait while they check the contents.If it is indeed damaged I do an unscheduled pickup and scan it and type damaged in the remarks and give it to the clerk to rts.
If it's damaged I sheet as damaged and turn in to the clerk, who changes that to NI3 and RTS's it.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

at no time were we to assume it was damaged and sheet it as such, just like tpl posted.

but it seems now the standard instruction at our center is to open it and see, which to me opens up a whole can of worms for the driver, should anything end up missing out of the package.

d

No way would I ever do that one. I sheet as damaged, take to clerks, if contents are ok they repack it and they have a code they can enter to show what they have done, then out for delivery the next day.

d
"hold for loss prevention" isn't one of the Diad options and most centers (from what I read here) don't allow using, "OTHER-OTHER". Now you could use some other option and put "hold for loss prevention" in the remarks, but that still puts an incorrect option in that shows on the tracking.

Maybe a new option of, "Hold for LP inspection" would be a good way to do this.

danlin

I do it this way as well and you know what? Nine times out of ten the customer keeps it....problem solved!

danlin

Leave it to "this company" to make something like this or recording a 10 minute break so difficult.
Here is an idea for efficiency....simplify..simplify..simplify.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do it this way as well and you know what? Nine times out of ten the customer keeps it....problem solved!

Depending upon the condition of the pkg and the consignee, I will also do this. It's that 10th time where you get an earful from the customer that makes it so much easier to simply sheet as Future and let the clerks handle it from there.

Raw

Raw Member
Either let the customer decide or record the package as damaged. We just signed a form in our center to not let the customer see damaged packages. Something about package Integrity. :wink2:

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I was recently trained by security on the proper sheeting method. If you KNOW the package is damaged then sheet as damage, bring it back, and give it to the damage clerk. If you SUSPECT it MAY be damaged then sheet missed, bring it back, and have it inspected by the damage clerk. Recording as future or refused or any other false status is an integrity issue and let's the customer down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was recently trained by security on the proper sheeting method. If you KNOW the package is damaged then sheet as damage, bring it back, and give it to the damage clerk. If you SUSPECT it MAY be damaged then sheet missed, bring it back, and have it inspected by the damage clerk. Recording as future or refused or any other false status is an integrity issue and let's the customer down.

We were recently trained by LP to sheet any known or suspected damages as Future. Isn't it great how each franchise seems to have its own operating procedures?

And that makes perfect sense.
But then, how should the package be sheeted? I have heard many times "Everything on your truck MUST be scanned", so I would imagine bringing it back to the clerk unscanned is not the right thing to do?
Sorry, I missed this post for some reason. I asked them about the instruction that Everything must be scanned. The answer was that the re-wrap clerk would scan the package when they are done, so this would fulfill the requirement.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I found this on upsers.com, under Corporate PCMs, the right way to sheet a damage pkg, Corporate must have seen all the confusion on how to sheet a damage pkg on this site, so they decide to have their managers do a PCM on it. Btw I was right in case anybody cares.

• Try to fix it prior to delivery. If you can’t fix it, don’t deliver it. Record it in the DIAD as a NON-DELIVERY exception and select MISSED from the menu."