How is the Promotion outlook looking?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was stuck on that too. This whole thread is full of atrocious grammar considering these people are college educated. And my grammar is far from perfect.

I found the error amusing in light of the condescending tone of his post--"bares no resemblance to working for a trucking company." Computers are computers whether you are working at IBM or UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I was stuck on that too. This whole thread is full of atrocious grammar considering these people are college educated. And my grammar is far from perfect.

I found the error amusing in light of the condescending tone of his post--"bares no resemblance to working for a trucking company." Computers are computers whether you are working at IBM or UPS.

I bet his English is better than your Chinese or Indian.

I work and correspond with very smart people in the IT world who do not get the tenses right, phonetic words mixed up, etc.
I understand them very well even though they might not get an A from some gas pumping English major.

A

an anonymous guest

My degree is in physics and when I graduated I was already at UPS. That was good because in 1971 the job market was as bad as it is now. Its funny because you would have called UPS a 'pick them up and deliver them company' in 1971, but those days are long gone. The systems engineering in the business today make UPS much more of a network than a transportation company with many modes of induction, processing, and distribution. If only we could figure out how to squeeze shipments into a fibre optic cable. Companies engaged in global transport require superior systems. to compete, and superior people to build and maintain them. I hope UPS is not letting that talent all go.

Go UPS!
P71

randomUPSISer

My degree is in physics and when I graduated I was already at UPS. That was good because in 1971 the job market was as bad as it is now. Its funny because you would have called UPS a 'pick them up and deliver them company' in 1971, but those days are long gone. The systems engineering in the business today make UPS much more of a network than a transportation company with many modes of induction, processing, and distribution. If only we could figure out how to squeeze shipments into a fibre optic cable. Companies engaged in global transport require superior systems. to compete, and superior people to build and maintain them. I hope UPS is not letting that talent all go.

Go UPS!
P71

If the feelings going around in IT are right, they seem to want to outsource the entire thing to India. I guess they havent figured out how badly most of the other outsourced projects have ended up. They never see the UPSers rewrite 60+% of the junk code that comes back because its hidden in WAR as "support" hours.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
If the feelings going around in IT are right, they seem to want to outsource the entire thing to India. I guess they havent figured out how badly most of the other outsourced projects have ended up. They never see the UPSers rewrite 60+% of the junk code that comes back because its hidden in WAR as "support" hours.

The beancounting CEO, his idiot operations mgmt. committee, and the weak-kneed CIO who is afraid to tell them the truth, don't want to hear it.

A

an anonymous guest

"The reality is that UPS has 100000's of analysts who churn out documents, pontificate, and go out to dinners with vendors and there are only about about 2 actual talented programmers left in the company. "

There used to be 5 talented programmers, but then Difigtree, Techgirl, and P71 retired.....

Go UPS!
P71

Motownpride

And we were fortunate to still have those 5 !!!! LOL

"The reality is that UPS has 100000's of analysts who churn out documents, pontificate, and go out to dinners with vendors and there are only about about 2 actual talented programmers left in the company. "

There used to be 5 talented programmers, but then Difigtree, Techgirl, and P71 retired.....

Go UPS!
P71

Copious

Work your but off at anywhere you see fit it will pay off. If I did it again I would head to Hollywood even 'camera men' get paid.Not that there's anything wrong with that.